StromTrooper banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Sounds like marketing nonsense. That phone mount seems intended for handheld or tabletop use. I'm not convinced it would work when mounted on a bike, & dealing with constant vibrations. That's assuming you could find a good way to mount it.

Moreover, an iPhone would make a lousy dashcam.

Such a device might work on a proper dashcam camera, but at $70 each would be a really expensive method.

I need to find some un-YouTub'd video of the Thinkware M1 showing its EIS. Curious whether it really works.
Hi_ Not suggesting using phone as the camera. I'm asking if anyone has used a three axis gyro gimbal stabilizer for a "proper" dashcam?
Not sure under a hundred bucks considering what else we spend money on is outrageous.
[small tip/factoid _ the treads for a tripod is the same thread stock as a lamp shade]

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi_ Not suggesting using phone as the camera. I'm asking if anyone has used a three axis gyro gimbal stabilizer for a "proper" dashcam?
I have tried using several types of Gimbals with cameras attached, mounted on the handlebars. Did not work very well, but Gopro cameras on their own, from Hero 7 Black up to 9 works OK. Also used an Akaso V50 Pro (has EIS also) with a good result.

The cameras I mentioned can all use external power so a large capacity memory card can last a full day. But the problem is that I cannot leave the bike parked with a Gopro or Gopro looking camera, it will be too tempting for thieves.
So I really would like to find small, discrete front and rear cameras with a "central unit" that I can hide somewhere on the bike. And gives me a high speed wireless connection to a computer so that I do not have to use the memory card for transfer.

I tried using Wi-Fi to transfer video from Viofo MT-1 via Blue Stacks (makes the computer looks like a phone) to a computer but that took too long.

·
Administrator
6,155 Posts
I even tried an RC helicopter camera mount. It was a small plastic oblong secured by neoprene "rubber bands" at each corner to its firmly fixed base. It didn't work.
The whole shelf rocked and rolled to bumps in the road.
The camera needs to be isolated from vibrations while still being secured firmly enough not to shake to every bump. That is why I have tried to use a rubber sandwich mount with the ability to squeeze it more or less to fine tune it.
Places like farings tend to be more isolated from vibration. Of course, a helmet or chest mounted camera is best of all but the battery only lasts so long and a dash cam type camera is simple fit and forget.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I tried using Wi-Fi to transfer video from Viofo MT-1 via Blue Stacks (makes the computer looks like a phone) to a computer but that took too long.
I'm not sure why, but all dashcams with WiFi seem to have this problem. The WiFi is great for checking and changing system settings or checking camera views. It's too slow for downloading video.

That's a big reason I didn't want to put the DVR of my Innovv K2 under the seat. I need to take the SD card out to view and back up video. That is super inconvenient if I have to remove the seat every time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I ran into that last weekend. I had set the timer for 10 minute loops which created 1 gig files. It's... painful at best to pull the file in over wifi. And the bike has to ACC be on given the way I've wired things. It got to the point where I didn't want to lose my 129 footage so I pulled the fuse to the power line once we hit Deals parking lot. Next time, I'm taking multiple cards.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ran into that last weekend. I had set the timer for 10 minute loops which created 1 gig files. It's... painful at best to pull the file in over wifi. And the bike has to ACC be on given the way I've wired things. It got to the point where I didn't want to lose my 129 footage so I pulled the fuse to the power line once we hit Deals parking lot. Next time, I'm taking multiple cards.
I asked Viofo about that problem, if it would be possible to have the app to make the "central unit" connect directly to the battery instead of needing the bikes ignition turned on for a Wi-Fi transfer. Even made provisions to install a switch in the lead that triggers the On function. But Viofo never answered any of may mails after they was sent a video with the "shaky" results.

What I would like to do is test an installation in my car with both front and rear lens. Unfortunately the cable to the rear lens is to short. They are using a very special waterproof connector so I have not been able to identify it in order to make my own extension cable.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
How big of an SD card are you using?

I have a 256 GB SD in my car dashcam. Even with boosted bitrate on front camera (28 Mbit/s, vs. 12 Mbit/s stock) that's good for ~20 hours of video.

If you want to preserve every hour of a long trip though, yeah, you're going to need to periodically copy off the SD card to a portable HDD or something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm new to this thread and am just beginning to get into moto-video.
Is it just smoke when I read descriptions like: "Equipped with the enhanced brushless motor and iSteady 3.0 Anti-Shake algorithm, iSteady X foldable gimbal for iPhone can help you eliminate shakes to a large extent and product smooth footages."
Have these been tried and abandoned?
I haven't use them personally, but I've seen plenty of top notch quality youtube videos.
First, it has an axis too many, because youl'd want to record the inclination of the bike, rigth?
Then, they require the big ass base/grip to be atached to the bike and I just can't see how that can be concealed so it doesn't get stolen.
Lastly, doesn't really fit the bill of dashcam unless you precisely intall the dashcam on it and given you could manage to install it concealed, there's the issue of the unnecessary axis.

If you could get it hidden and some way deacivate the axis, I guess the video could be way better than what we're seeing. At any rate, the purpose of dashcam video we pursuit is to be able to see the plates of the truck that hits us, and not use the footage for postproduction. For that end, I think it would be unnecessarily complex to use a gimbal.

Of course nothing would make us happier than having bluetooth stereo microphones, hardware image stabilization, video quality on par with GP and suitable mounting options at a reasonable price. But then we can get the bike stolen any time so why even bother.

But that's just my opinion, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I haven't use them personally, but I've seen plenty of top notch quality youtube videos.
First, it has an axis too many, because youl'd want to record the inclination of the bike, rigth?
Then, they require the big ass base/grip to be atached to the bike and I just can't see how that can be concealed so it doesn't get stolen.
Lastly, doesn't really fit the bill of dashcam unless you precisely intall the dashcam on it and given you could manage to install it concealed, there's the issue of the unnecessary axis.

If you could get it hidden and some way deacivate the axis, I guess the video could be way better than what we're seeing. At any rate, the purpose of dashcam video we pursuit is to be able to see the plates of the truck that hits us, and not use the footage for postproduction. For that end, I think it would be unnecessarily complex to use a gimbal.

Of course nothing would make us happier than having bluetooth stereo microphones, hardware image stabilization, video quality on par with GP and suitable mounting options at a reasonable price. But then we can get the bike stolen any time so why even bother.

But that's just my opinion, YMMV.
Thanks for the comment. Yes, there seems to be three masters. Accident documentation, anti-theft and more enjoyable ride videos.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
127 Posts
How big of an SD card are you using?

I have a 256 GB SD in my car dashcam. Even with boosted bitrate on front camera (28 Mbit/s, vs. 12 Mbit/s stock) that's good for ~20 hours of video.

If you want to preserve every hour of a long trip though, yeah, you're going to need to periodically copy off the SD card to a portable HDD or something.
I end up not having a lot of excess cards sitting around. They tend to corrupt fairly quickly, at least comparatively to magnetic. And I'm embarrassed to admit the amount killed by rollie chair wheels. So for this trip that meant only the 32 Gig card that shipped with the system. I'll end up with a 256 Gig card down the line.

·
Administrator
6,155 Posts
I only use a 32GB card in my Mobius Actioncam and I think it is good for about 5 hours at 1080 30 frames and maybe an hour or two more at 720. I usually have it set to overwrite the oldest recording.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the comment. Yes, there seems to be three masters. Accident documentation, anti-theft and more enjoyable ride videos.
Exactly.

I have a Ghost XL on my helmet that does a much better job than the DVR and then an HTC Re on the handle bar for good measure, so the shakiness and bad quality the DVR's videos could have aren't an issue as long as you can read plates on them.

I have yet to fix the sound issues though.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Mounting for accident documentation:
Fixed, waterproof, non-obvious, hard wired power, road hazard resistant, theft resistant, affordable ...
For about $10 each there is a slew of aux driving lights which could be easily gutted (screw assembled) to house a common dashcam.

Too gofy?

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I have my 'original' Mobius ActionCam zip-tied under the front fairing. It's only 3/4" tall, and I really only ride on the street, so I'm not too worried about crunching it under full suspension compression. Hasn't happened in 2-3 years, anyway. If it does, I'll figure out something else.

MobiusDashcamFront.jpg MobiusDashcamFront2.jpg

Keep meaning to get one for the rear, but haven't gotten around to it, yet.

The quality isn't great, but Good Enough for a dashcam to document what happened in the event of an...event.

Mobius with a super capacitor works great for my purposes: turns on & off with the bike, auto-loops and overwrites the oldest file, and no unnecessary video screens. If I need to watch something -- no reason yet, except to occasionally check to confirm it's still working -- I pop the card out and insert it into a device that can read it.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
Mobius was one camera I considered. At the time they did not offer a weatherproof enclosure. I don't know whether yours is different.

Also, I decided pretty quickly that I needed a 2-channel solution.

Good thing, that. When my front wheel got wrecked recently, I was only able to read the info on the vehicle in the rear cam. Front cam video was useless, because my windshield was too dirty.

I'm working on the front camera position. I had some extra mounting bits, so am experimenting.

I've been trying to post a photo of the new mount location, but Imgur is being stupid today. Front camera is now forward of and below the right front turn signal stalk. Stuck on with 3M trim tape. I can't bring myself to drill holes in my fairing for a more secure mounting, at least not yet.

Went on a test ride. Results are promising. I would have thought it would be wobbly, but apparently not. The outside surface of the fairing seems blessedly un-vibration-prone, even at highway speeds. First time I've had such good results on the highway.

I was concerned that having the camera off to one side would mean not seeing stuff on the other side. Not a big problem, it turns out. The fairing only takes up a sliver on the edge of the frame. If I could position the camera farther forward, this would be even less of an issue.

I need to see whether using that turn signal totally washes out the camera view at night.

extra tidbit: I've now switched to a Sandisk High Endurance 256 GB card. Woohoo. Should be good for 12+ hours of video before recording over old stuff.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts