StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Administrator
6,155 Posts
Wow. The Mesc TXT had no obvious issues, and the Garmin Verb also, but with a lower sound volume, but that is all you need for these cameras. Really though, the Go Pro Hero seemed the best of all.
Not exactly laboratory testing, and too much traffic contributing to buffeting, but VERY interesting.

·
Administrator
6,155 Posts
Someone, on of the larger vloggers, did a test and boiled down to your starting product. EG, if you had video at 1440 or higher you would get MUCH better treatment by youtube. And turning on some of the GoPro specific settings would affect what would happen to the end product as well.
I have just converted to AVS Video Converter and its suite because of other video converting that I do.
When I used it for the first time to upload to Youtube I was surprised at how poor the result was compared to other uploads. Perhaps I should not have selected the option "convert for Youtube upload."
Mind you, when uploaded the upload was very quick. In the past it has been a long upload and I have needed to wait for "Youtube to carry out the conversion process", so I guess that your vlogger is dead correct.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here are video samples from six action cameras, all on a RAM mount on the handlebars on a DL650ABS 2009.
I think some of them gives an acceptable video quality

And here is a video from the camera that I usually use for long rides, a Drift Ghost X (8 hours of battery time) https://youtu.be/FoA1y9AAlro
Not exactly laboratory testing, and too much traffic contributing to buffeting, but VERY interesting.
The video samples from the six cameras have been recorded in the same way and on the same road, as all for all other action camera reviews I have made since the first action camera was a launched. They are to be seen as an addendum to the printed articles.
Like this:
Video
Magazine Actionkameror för MC-bruk, 2017

·
Registered
127 Posts
Downside to the current crop of GoPro's is they require a huge adapter to take in external audio. But, the upside to these new GPs, they have fantastic image stabilization and take fantastic video. I personally don't record much for vlogging anymore so I'm not pouring money into them. I've switched my money pit to 3D printing. It's far more fun ;).

Half my group uses the Drift line and has been noted the battery life is an all day thing. But mounting them is a pain given their shape. And video quality is years behind the GP series. This is in their own words. So the question is do you want video quality or battery life for action cams for the most part.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Downside to the current crop of GoPro's is they require a huge adapter to take in external audio. But, the upside to these new GPs, they have fantastic image stabilization and take fantastic video. I personally don't record mucha for vlogging anymore so I'm not pouring money into them. I've switched my money pit to 3D printing. It's far more fun ;).
tery that l
Half my group uses the sDrift line and has been noted the battery life is an all day thing. But mounting them is a pain given their shape. And video quality is years behind the GP series. This is in their own words. So the question is do you want video quality or battery life for action cams for the most part.
I agree, for professional work I am using my Gopro´s Hero 8 and 9 (formerly Hero 7 and Akaso V50 Pro but now when Hero 9 has a replaceable lens I guess it will be the only action camera model I use). Their EIS (image stabilization), that has been better and better since Hero 7, are the best feature that has happened to the action camera world for a very long time.

But a a "security camera" with a battery that last the whole day I am using the Ghost X (when it´s nor raining heavily). The video quality is good enough that I can read number plates´s.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
For me, if it isn't fixed to the bike, powered by the bike, and automatically starts and stops recording by the ignition switch with zero manipulation then it is disqualified.

Also keep in mind that if you try connecting a non-dash cam design using a relay, it will need an on-board power source (preferably a super capacitor) so that it can close out the current file and update the file allocation table before losing power or you will get corrupt files and possibly even the whole file system.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
No question about it, some type of action cam is what you want for video blogging/film work.

I briefly tried one of the cheap ones as a "dashcam." Well, two. Crosstoure CT7000 and CT8000. Total garbage. Got refunds for both.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
For me, if it isn't fixed to the bike, powered by the bike, and automatically starts and stops recording by the ignition switch with zero manipulation then it is disqualified.

Also keep in mind that if you try connecting a non-dash cam design using a relay, it will need an on-board power source (preferably a super capacitor) so that it can close out the current file and update the file allocation table before losing power or you will get corrupt files and possibly even the whole file system.
Yep, that's what a dashcam is all about.

Power supply is important. As you say it must give the DVR time to properly close whatever it's writing at the time of powerdown request. That's the magic of the power converter included with something like the Innovv K2.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Yep, that's what a dashcam is all about.

Power supply is important. As you say it must give the DVR time to properly close whatever it's writing at the time of powerdown request. That's the magic of the power converter included with something like the Innovv K2.
With the Innovv K2's revised power supply, I should reconsider setting up the parking mode recording. However, the first time I tried it the most annoying thing was that it separated the shock sensor video from the constant video even when the ignition was on. Manageable if one remembers to move all the files together before trying to view them, but otherwise confusing as hell. Even made me think mine was defective until I figured out what it was doing. Hopefully the newer firmwares have fixed that. My previous solution was to simply turn off the shock sensor completely.

The Innovv K2 maintains power for a graceful shutdown externally as you said. But most of the car dash cams I've looked at use an internal solution. Battery is not as good/reliable as a super capacitor due to the extreme temp swings in a closed up car.

External gives the advantage of being able to revise the power supply without reworking the entire unit, but removes the option to kill it with a relay (unless you design in a hold on delay). On the flip side, the internal ones I've used have never needed revision and cutting power completely doesn't bother them because everything they need is on-board.

Both solutions work, but I might have a tiny bit of preference for the internal solution. Just because when the power is controlled internally you can usually choose the cut off voltage and/or use a relay to outright cut the power to preserve the start battery charge. (However this precludes parking mode.)

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I think the internal supercapacitor is the only kind of setup that would survive in my car in our desert summers. One reason I chose the Viofo A129 Duo for my car.

On the Vstrom, I'm comfortable having the K2 power cube connected to the battery. The drain of standby power is almost negligible. I keep the bike on a battery tender when home.

Innovv may send you a revised power converter for free, if you ask.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
They sent me a revised power cube a while back, not sure if there has been a new revision since then.

The original had quite a bit of battery drain and a cut-off voltage that was too low.

The power cube I have has a blue LED on it and has easily sat for at least 2 weeks before shutting itself down. At 4 weeks (already shut down) the bike still fired right up without struggling. So they fixed it at least somewhat.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
As far as I can tell there was one version of the blue LED power cube that worked properly. Then one version that didn't. Then they revised the design yet again. That one works, and is the one I have.

You can't tell which one is which just by looking, except that they switched the label orientation on the latest redesign. Old = label oriented so "Innovv" is on same side wires come out. Newest = other way around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a Blueskysea B1M out of being cheap.

It's way cheaper that the other options and considering it's only to read plates in the event of an accident, I guess it's ok.

Pros:
  1. Records 1080p video on both cameras, with audio.
  2. Supports 128 GB cards.
  3. Has loop recording.
  4. Screenless.
  5. Support from the brand was the best experience I've had in terms of support (bear in mind I'm not in the USA)
Cons:
  1. Wiring is a mess because some wires are like a meter too long.
  2. Video quality is average at best.
  3. Camera supports are not well thought so was difficult to find spots for them.
  4. GPS signal has been unreliable. Even got sent a new GPS module thinking first one was defective.
  5. App has a lot of connectivity hiccups.
All in all it's nice to have it stuck under the seat knowing you'll have a witness when needed (hopefully if the angle allows it)

Wiring wasn't done yet.

It was 166 USD on AliExpress and had to pay 30 bucks more at customs.

I certainly would have bought a better one had I been rich.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I bought a Blueskysea B1M out of being cheap.

It's way cheaper that the other options and considering it's only to read plates in the event of an accident, I guess it's ok.

Pros:
  1. Records 1080p video on both cameras, with audio.
  2. Supports 128 GB cards.
  3. Has loop recording.
  4. Screenless.
  5. Support from the brand was the best experience I've had in terms of support (bear in mind I'm not in the USA)
Cons:
  1. Wiring is a mess because some wires are like a meter too long.
  2. Video quality is average at best.
  3. Camera supports are not well thought so was difficult to find spots for them.
  4. GPS signal has been unreliable. Even got sent a new GPS module thinking first one was defective.
  5. App has a lot of connectivity hiccups.
All in all it's nice to have it stuck under the seat knowing you'll have a witness when needed (hopefully if the angle allows it)

It was 166 USD on AliExpress and had to pay 30 bucks more at customs.

I certainly would have bought a better one had I been rich.
Thanks so much for this. It's maybe the only comprehensive review I've found of the Blueskysea B1M, ever, that wasn't a YouTube video.

Nothing wrong with YouTube reviews per se, but I prefer text with photos vs. video most of the time.

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
350 Posts
Here are video samples from six action cameras, all on a RAM mount on the handlebars on a DL650ABS 2009.
I think some of them gives an acceptable video quality

And here is a video from the camera that I usually use for long rides, a Drift Ghost X (8 hours of battery time) https://youtu.be/FoA1y9AAlro
Can you provide some detailed pictures of the RAM mount system you used in the attached video, Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rather than clutter a bunch of otherwise unrelated threads with our nerd-ing, it would be good to have an ongoing dashcam talk here, in the gadgets forum.

The topic is: motorcycle dashcam systems. This means: a system having one or two video cameras fixed to the motorcycle, which records automatically any time the engine is running, being powered by the motorcycle's electrical system

"Dashcam" then doesn't include GoPros, other battery-powered, single-camera systems, or anything helmet-mounted. Those setups are fine for certain purposes, but aren't dashcams.

The point of a dashcam is to record one's riding continuously, without having to remember to turn it on and off, change or charge batteries, etc.

I'll start with discussion of a couple systems I know about:

-Innovv K2. Bought one in July 2019. Had nothing but problems until about a year later. Long story short, the power supply design was defective.

Once Innovv finally got me a properly-designed power supply, around July 2020, the system became reliable. It's been great to have. It's how I found out who was responsible for bending one of my rims recently, and have evidence to go after them for damages.

I know there are at least a couple of us Stromtroopers with this system. Mine is the only one I know about on a first-gen DL1000.

-Viofo MT1. I haven't tried this one, but came pretty close to buying one. The MT1 was the top candidate for a replacement system, when I was about ready to give up for good on the Innovv K2. The MT1 has only been available for a couple of months in the US, as of this post.

I know our own @Ophbalance (not sure whether that will summon him, it works in some other forums) has recently installed an MT1 on his 'Strom, and am eager to hear how it works for him.

I have had a Viofo A129 Duo in two cars for just over a year, and it has been superbly reliable. Even baking inside my car in our desert summers. Which, is why I was considering their MT1.
Same thing for me with the A129 duo. I'm very happy with it. Im glad to hear they make one for motorcycles. I just bought my first bike. A 2004 DL650 for commuting to Manhattan from long Island. I cant imagine driving any vehicle without a cam in it now. I even bought one for my work truck. Ill be checking out the MT1 and report back in a few weeks.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts