StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who've not ridden in the Massanutten area of Virginia are missing a real treat which goes from the famed Rt 211 "Shoot the Mountain" twisties to some serious dirt in the Geo. Washinton Natl Forest.

Check out:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/lee/maps/motor_mountaineering.shtml

You can create whatever you'd like. A short few hours or make an overnight of it with camping in one of the Geo. Wash Natl Forest campgrounds.

One of my favorite rides start in Winchester and goes down Cedar Creek Grade to Coal Mine Rd.

From there picking up 55 W going through Strasburg towards Front Royal.

Southbound on 678 towards Luray. At Kings Crossing you can head towards Luray and shoot one (or both) of the Rt 211 mountain sweepers or head west towards Edinburg on 675. There's some great twisties and dirt roads west of Edinburg and Woodstock.

Another variation involves going up to Woodstock Tower (atop Massanutten Mountain) on some dirt twisties you won't soon forget. In this area lie some ATV trails for those who've a serious off road appetite to whet.

Anyone interested in getting together, give me a shout.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'd be up for some rides. 8) I'm over in Earlysville, VA.

I leave for a ten day trip tomorrow, and will return on the 23rd - give a shout after that and we'll hook up.

Take care,
Bob S.

T

·
0 Posts
I'm in!!!

This is exactly the combination I'm looking for to experieince the Wee in the dirt!

I've got the major house projects completed for the Summer so I can do a full day any weekend with a little notice.

Thanks for the link!

Tom

·
Registered
640 Posts
Made that run Saturday morning.

Turned toward Eidinburg then 42 at woodstock to wolf gap.

When through Fort Valley about 7:00 in the morning and it was kind of creapy with the fog.

Allonsye,

Were you out later on Saturday? I saw a group of four bikes that included a strom and a scooter.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rides.

MATTMAN said:
Made that run Saturday morning.

Turned toward Eidinburg then 42 at woodstock to wolf gap.

When through Fort Valley about 7:00 in the morning and it was kind of creapy with the fog.

Allonsye,

Were you out later on Saturday? I saw a group of four bikes that included a strom and a scooter.
Hey Matt.

No that wasn't me. That sounds a lot like a group of DC riders (mostly sport riders) that post on ADVrider a lot. I was out there solo. Sorry I missed you.

Have you taken the Woodstock Tower Rd off of Elizabeth furnace? The dirt rd twisty on the W side of the mtn going into Woodstock is gnarly! From there pick up 42 out to Wolf Gap. Stay on Trout Run Rd after that all the way to Wardensville. From there you can head back E. on 55. Take the Lefty onto Coal Mine Rd before Lebanon Church, which will empties out onto Cedar Creek Grade taking you back into Winchester - awesome run (inside of 100 mi) which you can do in just few hrs.

PM me - let's compare notes.

Any you other riders in the vicinity pm us. How 'bout a group run?

suspend reality

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ya I've tower road, but not on my strom yet. I will do it soon. You are right its kind of knarley, more intimidating than anything. Not too technical, but the payout is large if slide wide.

I haven't made the run down coal mine yet. That's near home so I'll give it run when I have a little time.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Oh,

I turned off trout run onto trout pond then 259 North to Wardensville. This is better route than trout run all the way to Wardensville.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A short ride

Let me know if your up for a rendezvous sometime this weekend - anyone else reading this for that matter may want to jump aboard. I'll have time for a few hours and a brkft/lunch or snack somewhere.

p.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JKnowledge said:
I am up for a ride with you guys. I had planned on riding with some cruisers Sat morning, but if you guys are doing something, I'd much rather do some exploring with you.
No one's committed to anything yet including myself.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MATTMAN said:
There are getting to be quite a few Stroms in this area. The day I had somebody say they saw me Strasburg and I was not there that day.
Hmmmm.......Strasburg - more than likely it was me.

·
Registered
640 Posts
allonsye said:
MATTMAN said:
There are getting to be quite a few Stroms in this area. The day I had somebody say they saw me Strasburg and I was not there that day.
Hmmmm.......Strasburg - more than likely it was me.
No, I have the faster blue one :lol: :lol:

Anybody going out this weekend?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ride this weekend.

MATTMAN said:
Anybody going out this weekend?
I've been looking at the WX. Tomorrow look like the same hot, sticky, thunderstorm laden air. Sunday looks like a better day for ride.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts