StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since this is the first time I've ever bought a brand new bike, I didn't consider that modifications and DIY projects probably wouldn't have been thought up yet. So here it is: the inevitable "how do I mount ammo cans to my Strom" thread. Since we knew it was coming, we might as well go full noob on it.

This is really convenient to me because I'm actually an ordnance technician, so ammo cans are at my disposal. I'm not terribly worried about weight, but I do like cutting resources when I can. I have a welding/machine shop available to me as well, I just need some input. I've never built pannier mounts before so I wouldn't even know where to start.

-Where would I want to bolt the mounts in?
-do I need cross-bars to go under the tail, or are these sturdy enough mounted directly into the side?

Anything helps. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
For something as heavy as a 40mm ammo can, I'd say the cross bar between the pannier racks is a necessity. Unmodified 40mm cans weigh I believe 22 pounds apiece.

As far as designing pannier racks, there are threads on here from guys who have fabricated their own. Some look awesome, and some don't. With a full machine shop at your disposal, it shouldn't be too hard to duplicate the commercially available ones, but if you wait a bit longer, the aftermarket manufacturers will probably soon be making pannier racks for the new DL1000. I have Happy Trails racks on my 650, and their shape and design look like it wouldn't be too hard to make, provided you have a welder and a hydraulic pipe bender. If you want photos of the racks up close, I can take some for you.

I haven't seen the new DL up close, so I don't know where the hardpoints are that you would mount the racks.

If you want photos of a potential mounting system for the cans, there are photo albums on my profile page showing some ammo cans mounted to my bike, and showing a quick release system I fabricated for my Duratool cases that could easily be adapted to an ammo can.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I love my ammo cans. They way I designed them no cross bar was needed (and after many miles and heavy loads no vibration or distortion has happened). They are built as a complete assembly and the mounts are welded directly on to the cans. I planned on leaving them on so was no concerned about a quick removal, but they can be removed as an assembly by removing the mounting bolts. I know it's a Wee, but you said anything helps so there you go!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
There have been many ammo can threads over the years with lots of pictures, use search and you'll probably find a setup you like.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Ditto what Tom above said........but make sure you use the "Google Search" in the top/middle of the forum page........NOT the forum Search toolbar. Just type in "Ammo Cans" and hit a return......then sit down with a 6-pack and some popcorn. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Being an ordnance technician and have them "at your disposal" doesn't mean you should steal.
You just paid good money for a really nice bike, treat it right and put a proper set of panniers on it.

Exactly. Just spent a lot of money on a bike, funds for additional nice things aren't exactly as available as I wish they were. I would hardly call it stealing either. It's a better fate than most other cans will see once they're used up.

Plus I think ammo cans would look pretty cool.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love my ammo cans. They way I designed them no cross bar was needed (and after many miles and heavy loads no vibration or distortion has happened). They are built as a complete assembly and the mounts are welded directly on to the cans. I planned on leaving them on so was no concerned about a quick removal, but they can be removed as an assembly by removing the mounting bolts. I know it's a Wee, but you said anything helps so there you go!

That's a very nice build! I ended up getting lucky and someone offered to buy me a luggage rack, so my tasks are reduced to building brackets to instal the cans.

Unfortunately, the rack that I like is out of stock everywhere. So I'll be waiting a little while 'til I can work on this build. Stay tuned for pictures sooner or later.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have Givi racks and they are easily detachable from the frame. They feature 3 tabs for hard points to attach the bags or cans. I think the Givi system is very well engineered and not expensive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is really convenient to me because I'm actually an ordnance technician, so ammo cans are at my disposal.

I think the best course of action would be to donate a set to me! I can let you know how my set works out! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Ammo Panniers....

I took a jigsaw and removed as much steel from my Ammo Cans as I thought possible without sacrificing strength.......and replaced the removed sections with aluminum. The change-out "lightened" each can by 3-4 lbs......from 20-22 lbs to approximately 17 lbs each now. Alot of work, but satisfying. Those diagonal stiffening ribs on the exterior were the first things to "go"......simply not needed at all. My cans are still heavy..... and I might go with plastic Pelican Cases in the future if I ever make "that Alaska Trip" someday.
(I have pics of what I did on the forum somewhere......probably 3-4 yrs ago)

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
I took a jigsaw and removed as much steel from my Ammo Cans as I thought possible without sacrificing strength.......and replaced the removed sections with aluminum. The change-out "lightened" each can by 3-4 lbs......from 20-22 lbs to approximately 17 lbs each now. Alot of work, but satisfying. Those diagonal stiffening ribs on the exterior were the first things to "go"......simply not needed at all. My cans are still heavy..... and I might go with plastic Pelican Cases in the future if I ever make "that Alaska Trip" someday.
(I have pics of what I did on the forum somewhere......probably 3-4 yrs ago)
That was my solution to the problem also. I only replaced one large side of the can with aluminum, so I could have a smooth side facing out. I scrapped the old lids too and rebuilt new ones out of aluminum angle and sheet. I got the weight down to about 14 pounds per can, including the lid, which was about the weight of a Zega case. Still, I could never get used to the look, and ended up with Duratool cases.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts