StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello...so I searched on "ground" and really don't see what I'm looking for.

Given the recall on the battery ground wire re-route....have there been people on this forum that have had actual starting or running failures due to this issue?

I am about to take a trip to CO. and wondering if I need to be stressing over this. Especially after that last escaped of taking bike to stealership on the wire harness recall, only to learn later that nothing was done and turned out I had significant chaffing.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
I had a starting issue but can't say if it was the ground or the other wiring harness issues (I suspect the latter.)

It was on the last Sunday back in the end of January. I was going to take it to the dealership on Monday to get he recall work done as February is a month that I never seem to get any riding in. I was taking it to my regualr gas station (non-ethanol super gas) about 20 km/12 miles from home. On the way there the "Check engine" light came on. I turned off the bike (while riding) and turned it on again. The light stayed off for a short period of time and then came on again. I did it a second time with the same results. (IIRC it kept running normally.) I gassed it and it simply wouldn't start after. It cranked perfectly fine buy itself but I checked the battery terminals. I also tried using my jump-start and tried a boost from a car (I didn't really expect them to help since it cranked fine regardless.) I tried bump-starting it. After doing about everything I could think of i called for a truck to take it to the dealer. Next morning the dealer hit start and of course it started perfectly. They tried it a few more times through the day and in the afternoon it didn't start. Ultimately my bike got all the recall items. (and of course over the next week or two it was in the shop we had the warmest, most riding friendly February weather I recall ever having. On the day I brought it home it was -15°C or about 5°f

..Tom

·
Registered
122 Posts
My ground wire is attached to the engine case. There is no recall on this for my 2014. I will be lifting the tank tomorrow to install a 2 piece airhorn so I will check for chafing. My dealer did not do that recall work according to my vin look up.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
There have been failures due to grounding wire corrosion though most were in the UK where riding with salt on the road is common. Still, getting that connection moved and protected is a good idea.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
My ground wire is attached to the engine case. There is no recall on this for my 2014...
There was a recall for this on my 2014 Vee2. The dealer did reroute and add additional shielding to the ground wire. The other two recalls were also applied ("weather proofing" the ignition switch / harness coupler & wire chaffing under tank).

I never had any problems with any of it. But only a few thousand fair weather miles before they issued the recall. (My bike was a new leftover '14.)

·
Registered
745 Posts
There was a recall for this on my 2014 Vee2. The dealer did reroute and add additional shielding to the ground wire. The other two recalls were also applied ("weather proofing" the ignition switch / harness coupler & wire chaffing under tank).

I never had any problems with any of it. But only a few thousand fair weather miles before they issued the recall. (My bike was a new leftover '14.)
The ground wire was done under the recall for my 2014 as well.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
There were two ground wire failures at my dealer, bikes brought to the shop by recovery truck both times. And it was even before the recall and here in Southern Portugal there's no rain, snow and salt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where my main negative battery cable routes down to the engine block and connects is very clean and tidy. It blows my mind that unless there was severe corrosion observed at the block connection, that connectivity present today could be jeopardized in the future because somebody decided it was a painted surface.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I was affected by this recall. Luckily this happened at my home and I had to have the tow truck take me to the dealer. It was indeed the ground wire like I thought and it was relocated as per the recall and everything has been fine. Some bikes are affected by all parts of the recall but luckily my build date only needed the ground relocation.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Poor Battery Ground Conductivity

Given the recall on the battery ground wire re-route... starting or running failures... I am about to take a trip to CO. and wondering if I need to be stressing over this.
Pushrod, if it happens on your trip disconnect the ground wire at the engine and clean the engine connection point.

Motorcyle.com article:
The reports continued to come in, leading to Suzuki deciding in June 2015 to stop painting the crankcase location where the battery ground wire attaches. In December, Suzuki decided to conduct a recall. As of August 2015, Suzuki had received 17 total reports believed to be related to this problem. Suzuki dealers will relocate the battery ground connection to an unpainted surface. The selected new location is closer to the exhaust pipe routing, so the ground wire will receive a high-heat-resistance tube (note the different tubing on the wire harness in the diagram above). Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Recalled for Three Separate Electrical Issues - Motorcycle.com News

My ground wire is attached to the engine case. There is no recall on this for my 2014... My dealer did not do that recall work according to my vin look up.
Motosapien, did you verify the recalls yourself? -> Suzuki Cycles - Recalls

Effected bikes with Poor Battery Ground Conductivity are manufactured for the USA between January 17, 2014 to June 5, 2014 and November 5, 2014, to February 6, 2015.
Source: Suzuki is Recalling certain 2014 Suzuki DL1000 motorcycles

·
Registered
122 Posts
Motosapien, did you verify the recalls yourself? -> Suzuki Cycles - Recalls
All 3 recall items (Ignition Switch Coupler, Wiring Harness, Ground Wire) should be applicable for a 2014 bike (from November 1, 2013 to March 31, 2015) http://www.stromtrooper.com/3802890-post253.html[/QUOTE]

I went to Suzuki's website and entered my vin #. It only listed the ignition switch and chafing issue of the wiring under the gas tank

·
Registered
166 Posts
Poor Battery Ground Conductivity

I went to Suzuki's website and entered my vin #. It only listed the ignition switch and chafing issue of the wiring under the gas tank
Was your bike built after June 5, 2014?
Saw this on americanpowersport.com Suzuki is Recalling certain 2014 Suzuki DL1000 motorcycles

RECALL Subject: Poor Battery Ground Conductivity
SUMMARY: Suzuki Motor of America, Inc. (Suzuki) is recalling certain model year 2014 Suzuki DL1000 motorcycles manufactured January 17, 2014 to June 5, 2014, and 2015 Suzuki DL1000 motorcycles manufactured November 5, 2014, to February 6, 2015. Due to corrosion or being attached to the painted engine case, the battery ground connection may have poor electrical conductivity.
Suzuki’s number for this recall is 2A53.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts