StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else think they put a bit too much fender on the rear of the V-stroms? I'm not sure if its the same with the dl-1000's but on the 04 650 its just out of control. I was wondering if any of you gents know where to get a fender eliminator/removal kit for the dl-650? or if anyone of you have done personal modifications? Any help is great, thnx :)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ride it around a little in the rain before you take the dremel tool to it.it actually works pretty well at keeping the spray down and off of the rest of the group.the back of a friends v-strom is a mess after every rain ride since he chopped that fender up,and riding behind him really sucks when it's wet out.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I cut mine down to match the stock curve and it looks mucho bettah!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A fender eliminator well get rid of the fender but provide a mounting piece for the tags tedder, at least thats the way its looked in pics i've seen on other bikes..

as for the spray, yeah I'd thought about that , but I'm generally in the back of the pack,a nd 2ndly, if it looks like rain, we generally don't go any where hehehehe. but you never know when it will catch you...

Semper Vee, any hope for getting a picture of what you did? :)

thnx much for feedback, I don't really wanna just start sawing off parts of it,,may hold off and see if anyone puts out a kit for it first.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Ego,
if I can find my Digital Camera I will post my lovely reshaped fender....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd like to know the scoop on this as well. I have an '04 DL1000 and am considering eliminating that hunk-o-plastic to clean up the back end... that piece, or lack thereof, lends to the overall aesthetic of a mostly-naked bike.

So, if anyone's found a kit, I'd like to know. Or, if you have pictures of your chopped fender, I'd like to see them. (Although, I believe I'd prefer the kit over a chop in case I ever decide to reinstall the fender for an all-weather cross-country journey.)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to see the pics and hear about any fender eliminator kits as well. I don't ride offroad (purposely :twisted: ) or in the rain (unless I get caught unprepared) so I'm not too concerned with the spray factor. Giddyup!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stage I is to cut the fender off square just where the sides stop then using this piece as a template, move it up to where you wish and recut the origional shape there. A good place is just below the tag. Avation snips cut it like butter.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The reason you don't see V-Strom fender eliminator kits is that the fender is integrated into the rear bodywork in such a way as to make such an undertaking a major conversion project. The fenders on sportbikes are usually designed to be easily removable for racing purposes, so it's simple to fashion a small bracket to hold the license plate and fill any holes left by the fender.

BTW, I've seen a guy fabricate his own license plate holder with a spring hinge and mount it under the tail light and over the key hole. He then cut off the entire fender on the line formed by the top of the plate light "shelf" (look at your fender and you'll see what I mean). The hinge allows him to flip down the plate to access the seat lock.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's not all about looks guys.
I trimmed the fender off of my last bike (sv650) and from then on every time I rode in the rain a huge rooster tail came off of my back tire. I would be covered in road grime and water would run down the back of my neck... It sucked. I will never cut another fender on a bike unless it is a track bike.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tony ... It's like a spud shooter. :wink:

Gotta look 8)

Try riding behind a guy on a JAP 500 V Twin with straight drag pipes and no front or rear fender. You won't want to be there long. But he sure THINKS he looks/sounds cool.

Also with the no rear fender is the biggest rear tire you can mount even if it makes your bike slower in the turns.

My opinion = 2 cents
Looking cool = PRICELESS

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fender chop

vstrom717 said:
THere's a guy posting a bracket for sale on [email protected] to shift the license plate and plate light up higher, just under the keyhole. FYI
I bought one of those. Worked great. The butt end of the bike looks alot better. Doesn't look as "square", as stock. Plus gives more wheelie clearance. As far as more spray goes, so what? If I'm wet, the bikes wet, everybody's wet. Who cares? Put on the Saran Wrap and ride it.

Dave53

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Who cares?"

The same people who do if a tractor trailer dos not have "mud flaps"

Or if you have a visible brake light

Or the people who are stuck behind you in the rain.

Some equipment is not just there for looks. Remembering that you are 1 second away from being knocked over by a cage if they get pissed at you is something to remember.

It don't take much for a cage to get tired of you rooster tail on the highway and make one of those "OH I did not see him." "mistakes" on the highway.

If you don't think it happens, than you must be new at the game. "Wheelie clearance" ...... Oh never mind.

One word Darwin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Black plastic real estate clearance

I'd like to know the scoop on this as well. I have an '04 DL1000 and am considering eliminating that hunk-o-plastic to clean up the back end... that piece, or lack thereof, lends to the overall aesthetic of a mostly-naked bike.

So, if anyone's found a kit, I'd like to know. Or, if you have pictures of your chopped fender, I'd like to see them. (Although, I believe I'd prefer the kit over a chop in case I ever decide to reinstall the fender for an all-weather cross-country journey.)
Couldn't find a kit so chop chop - one of the first things I did to my strom - frankly it transformed the bike's look - I would go as far as to use the term "sexed up"! I love it. Judge for yourself...

Attachments

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I have Caribou cases on my 2007 DL650.

The mounting bracket wraps around the outside of the rear fender, offering a handy plate/light mounting location.

However, given that I own a V=Strom running Caribou/Pelican cases, it's pretty safe to assume I tend to value function over aesthetics.

The fender stays.

But it would be nice to roost the DR's.

Reactions: chikosneff

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
The PO cut down the rear fender on my VFR and it really sucks when the road is even a tiny bit wet. Not only does it spray on everything but it soaks my back. I even have to clean off my helmet. I hate cleaning stuff. And dirty looking rear of bike doesn't look so great in my book.

The VFR looks great, but with the fender it would also look great. I personally believe in function before looks. Keep the entire stock fender. It was designed for a purpose.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts