StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was in the market for a new side case for my Vstrom 650 (thank you insurance!) and I couldnt decide between the givi alaska and the dolomiti. These are year 2021 releases, so both release from the bike by titling over and the updated hinge system that dont need the string. Incoming lots of pictures, details and measurements!

ALA36BPACK2 36LTR ALASKA CASES PAIR BLACK

DLM36BPACK2 36LTR DOLOMITI SIDE CASES

Dolomiti Trekker
Internal top opening – 17 11/16” x 8 3/16” (ignoring alignments bits around the lip), (7.5” opening width at rack release mechanism location)
Depth inside bottom to inside lip - 12 1/8” deep
Lid depth Internal – 3” (ignoring depressions from handle indent)
Exterior Dimensions - 21 ¾” long x 9 7/8” wide x 15.25” height (Including hinge and lock)

Alaska Trekker
Internal Top Opening 18”x8” (7 3/8” width at rack release mechanism)
Internal Depth to lip - Just under 12”
Internal Lid depth - 2 3/8”
Exterior Dimensions - 22” long x 9 3/8” wide x 14 11/16” high (including lock and hinge)

Alaska -
Bottom corners are plastic (replaceable?) and because the handle is part of the hinge the hinge seems more reinforced,
Handle carry is like doing a bicep curl, not a fan
Personally I don’t like the bungie hook locations or style or the handle
Lid hooks are proper hooks
The lid has tabs that jut out into the middle
Alaska has more panels (more replaceable/repairable?, might have a probability of leaking more)?

Dolomiti
The dolomiti carry is more of standard carry, I much prefer
Lid hooks are more of tabs, but theres more interface there. The lid also detents in where the handle goes.
The Dolomiti has a reinforcement bar on the front panel, not sure if thats for strength or maybe theres another accessory that attaches to that, also little tabs on the lid (on the base side) that seems like a lid alignment/prevention of side to side movement.
Handle is riveted so more difficult to replace if damaged, but easier to use.

Other notes
Bottoms
Alaska - Plastic is what will touch ground because the corners are the lowest point.
Dolomiti - Unipanels sheet metal will be resting on the ground.

Dolomiti corners have more clearance but aren’t reinforced like the Alaska.

Alaska – Top lip/rim on the base side has hook holes (none on the Dolomiti)

The rim/lip overhangs into the cavity more on the alaska blocking being able to put stuff in but it seems to have/be some extra reinforcement

More nut caps (more things for your stuff to snag on going in and out) on the alaska, vs a smoother on the dolomiti, Dolo still has some studs though.

In the end I'm going to go with the Dolomiti, its cheaper, slide bigger, I like the hook mounting and overall looks better IMO.

Thanks for readying my silly big pictured review. Feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for posting. I'll be in the market at some point for side cases and this will be a great reference. (y)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hey, we never asked, but we're happy to have the info. Because Givi stuff can work on so many bikes, it is a great contribution. Even though I can read the Givi stuff in Italian, goode olde an-glish is my preference when the going gets technical. And info like this from owners is hugely valuable. 12 thumbs up.

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
Nice review.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So one thing to add, the flip down lean over holders dont seem to work well on the vstrom 650's. Installed they prevented me from holding the case to the bracket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts