StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been on an awesome trip with the DL1000. 1100Km of which half was dirt, and about half of that was pretty rough. No deep sand - thank goodness.

I was with 2 Honda TransAlps, a 2015 Triumph Tiger XC and my son on his DR650.

The DR650 ran rings around us on the rougher, tighter sections, but otherwise no problems at all.

The DL is certainly heavy, but if I can manage it, with very little dirt experience, 5' 8" and 72Kg then most people can.

I can't post links yet, but search for :
'in the gamkaskloof gorge dl1000' on youtube

Vince

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just been on an awesome trip with the DL1000. 1100Km of which half was dirt, and about half of that was pretty rough. No deep sand - thank goodness.
I was with 2 Honda TransAlps, a 2015 Triumph Tiger XC and my son on his DR650.
The DR650 ran rings around us on the rougher, tighter sections, but otherwise no problems at all.
The DL is certainly heavy, but if I can manage it, with very little dirt experience, 5' 8" and 72Kg then most people can.
I can't post links yet, but search for :
'in the gamkaskloof gorge dl1000' on youtube

Vince
I see this is your first post - welcome aboard

yep, deep sand is always on my mind when we're planning a trek. Most rides it's "hmm DR650 or Vstrom today". With deep sand at least the answer is easy.
Great that your son came along too. My 32 year old is getting a bit over just doing track days so I hope to get him onto my desert/mountain rides soon. Totally different riding altogether and (IMHO) a more diverse skill set needed.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just like everything, it has everything to do with the rider skills and abilities. I once saw a guy play some of the most amazing sounding Stevie Ray Vaughn type blues that I had ever heard on a cheap $100 electric guitar that was intended for a beginner or child. No way I couldn't gotten that same sound out of that thing.
Motorcycle riding is no different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see this is your first post - welcome aboard
Thanks for the welcome...

Been lurking on and off for a few years. I had a DL650 before I traded up to the 1000. I've only got 1 or 2 thousand Kms on dirt (about 100 000km on tar), so I was a little worried, because almost all the dirt so far was well graded well maintained gravel roads, but it all worked out well in the end.

If I had to do the same trip again, I'd take the DR just for the 50Kms of tricky stuff, but for the rest, the DL1000 was awesome.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
I have only been on a few dirt roads so far but the new V2 is a lot better on dirt than previous model, better shocks and reduced weight make all the difference.

I think the guy with the camera needs to ride at the front for videos like yours, just to keep that dust off the lens, that is one advantage of riding solo, at least until you have an accident.

Looks like a fun place to explore, but busy up there eh?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have only been on a few dirt roads so far but the new V2 is a lot better on dirt than previous model, better shocks and reduced weight make all the difference.

I think the guy with the camera needs to ride at the front for videos like yours, just to keep that dust off the lens, that is one advantage of riding solo, at least until you have an accident.

Looks like a fun place to explore, but busy up there eh?
It was quite busy, but I suspect it was because it was a long weekend here, and many people had taken a day's leave to make it 4 days.

Not many went all the way down the gorge, but on the ordinary gravel roads we saw many bikers, and often met the same guys several times, each group going by different routes. Almost all were on day trips (I assume, since they had no luggage).

South Africa is blessed by having large open spaces with very little development in some areas. Once you get out of the major centers, you quickly find yourself in tranquil settings.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It was quite busy, but I suspect it was because it was a long weekend here, and many people had taken a day's leave to make it 4 days.
Not many went all the way down the gorge, but on the ordinary gravel roads we saw many bikers, and often met the same guys several times, each group going by different routes. Almost all were on day trips (I assume, since they had no luggage).
South Africa is blessed by having large open spaces with very little development in some areas. Once you get out of the major centers, you quickly find yourself in tranquil settings.
Know the situation. After I talk myself into negotiating the hour out of Sydney (I'm within 4 kms of the Sydney Harbour Bridge so it's an hour any direction) it becomes increasingly easy to find relatively empty spaces.
4 day ride on the DR650 planned for this weekend taking in all the dirt we can find.... an opportunity to test out the recently fitted Mikuni pumper carb

·
Administrator
18,435 Posts
My 1000 sees a lot of dust from gravel and forest roads, but I try to avoid dirt unless it is hard pack.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's fun on compact relatively smooth hard pack. Woops, Ruts, water board and things get out of hand fast. Back of seat is also too high for effective riding down steep stuff.

It's really a road bike, but blacktop and dirt roads. It's also really nice on bad blacktop, but only if your riding very street oriented tires.

Also has rather limited ground clearance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts