StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting to try my first tire repair, luckily in my garage & out of the rain and wind.

Got on the bike this morning and the back tire was completely flat. There was a dry wall screw sticking out of the tire and when I got home tonight I got all my shiny, new bike fixin' tools out and set to it. The screw didn't go all the way through the tire and the Dynaplug tool didn't want to push through, either. I used a very fine brad to push through the cords (was this my first mistake?) then finally got the Dynaplug tool in. When I pulled it out, however, most of the rope/plug seemed to come with it. Not knowing any better I snipped it off and fired up my tiny new air compressor (at least I know that works!).

Of course the air came out as fast as it went in, so the plug didn't work. I pushed the plug all the way into the tire and tried again. Same results. This time I tried pushing it further in with the Dynaplug tool and then with an allen key, and that seemed to work. Fired up the compressor, aired it up to 40 psi, and no leak. As I was wrapping up my tools I started to hear the hissing and soon it was a full blown leak again. CRAP :thumbdown:

I know this has been discussed a bunch but I'd like to get your opinions on the other methods of tire patching, specifically something that can be done on the roadside. I get into some pretty desolate areas and want to be able to fix a leak at least well enough to get to civilization.

Tom

PS - A headlamp should be the first tool you buy for your bike. Even in a well lit garage I couldn't do this without one. Note to self: buy headlamp for bike tool kit.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Use the Nealy Tire repair kit. We sell them at our site http://www.cruiserworks.com or get them direct if you wish Nealey Tire Repair Kit I looked at a lot of the kits and to be honest most were not that great. This fellow has been making them for 25 years for everything from bikes to Tractors. They are great, and what I carry. They are not the same string material as in any other kit I have seen.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use the Nealy Tire repair kit. We sell them at our site Cruiserworks Motorcycle Gear - Home or get them direct if you wish Nealey Tire Repair Kit I looked at a lot of the kits and to be honest most were not that great. This fellow has been making them for 25 years for everything from bikes to Tractors. They are great, and what I carry. They are not the same string material as in any other kit I have seen.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Tom

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Use the Nealy Tire repair kit. We sell them at our site Cruiserworks Motorcycle Gear - Home or get them direct if you wish Nealey Tire Repair Kit I looked at a lot of the kits and to be honest most were not that great. This fellow has been making them for 25 years for everything from bikes to Tractors. They are great, and what I carry. They are not the same string material as in any other kit I have seen.
Seconded. I carry a Nealey kit, and it's worked perfectly on the few occasions when I've had to use it.

Regular old "sticky string" plugs have gotten me home several times as well. They're just messier than the Nealey plugs and a bit harder to use. Plus, the tube of cement usually dries out in a month or two, so they're not much good for carrying with you long-term.

Haven't tried the Dyna plugs, but I don't see how they'd be much use. Too skinny and expensive, too.

I can tell you that Stop-n-Go ("mushroom") plugs DEFINITELY don't work.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Regular old "sticky string" plugs have gotten me home several times as well. They're just messier than the Nealey plugs and a bit harder to use. Plus, the tube of cement usually dries out in a month or two, so they're not much good for carrying with you long-term.
I throw the cement away - never used it with a gummy plug, they work just fine without it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Neale did the trick. 5 minutes and one plug and it's held pressure now for almost a week. Thanks for the suggestion. Now I have to figure out what to do with the Dynaplug...

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts