StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I have a 03 dl1000 with 5000 mi on it, and it has the lean out sputter symptoms at 3000-3300 rpm, I've read alot on here about remapping and pcIII's and the like, I called the dealers in my area, and none of them have heard of this problem, (cringe!) but one dealer does have a yosh box. I just need to know if theres some one I could call to get the specs. on what to program. does anybody have some info that could help me out. this is way too great of a bike to settle for "thats how they all run".

Any help would be appreciated

thanks, BumbleBee

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mountiantime,

had a shop call me back and sounds like he knows the deal with the vstrom, he has actually ridden a vstrom and knows what I'm talking about. he has a yosh and asked to do a tbs first then a yosh adjustment if needed. I have a apointment next thurs. so I'll post a result soon.
thanks for the input. and i'll keep ya all posted.

Keep the shiny side up

Tom (bumblebee)

M

·
0 Posts
The tuner I befriended who perfomed my yosh "adjustment" told me that knowing the settings that others have used is useful, but not particularly relevant to each individual bike. The reason behind this is that each fuel injector has very different part load flow rate characteristics. The specs for an injector might call for a certain maximum flow rate, and this is pertinent to full throtte operation, however, when you consider partial throttle where the injector is only open for a micro second, the flow can be dramatically different for each individual injector even if they have the same full load flow rate.

The result is that each bike needs to be tuned independantly to solve our "hiccup" issue and that a +1 on my bike, might be the same as a +2 for someone else with the same results.

I would have your tuner start at zero and work in the smallest increments possible when adding fuel to your lower 1/3 throttle range and either dyno or road test at each setting. You don't want to add too much fuel becuase it will just end up as carbon on your plugs and in your exhaust as unburned hydro carbons.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the post, and every thing you said, is very close to what the mechanic said, he said he want's to check the tbs first and yosh last. with road tests in between. sound like a good plan but I'd doubt I'll get the $30.00 yosh job that others have talked about. and I'm okay with that, if we can get some improvement. I checked the tb mounts and looked over every thing that I could think of even replaced the plugs with the fancy ngk iridium whatca ma giggers. they didn't help or hurt. I put 250 mi on them last weekend. I ride the majority of the time at 1500 ft. give or take the low elevation may be agrivating the lean out thing. I don't know if the F.I. system used baro pressure. as an imput or just a O2 sensor for its adjustment. From past experience with cars and trucks I know that systems with more "live" imputs do a better job of metering. that those with less, as the latter tend to rely more on hard setting.

anyway my saga will continue thursday. I'll let you'all know how it goes
Thanks for the imput

M

·
0 Posts
BumbleBee said:
thanks for the post, and every thing you said, is very close to what the mechanic said, he said he want's to check the tbs first and yosh last. with road tests in between. sound like a good plan but I'd doubt I'll get the $30.00 yosh job that others have talked about. and I'm okay with that, if we can get some improvement. I checked the tb mounts and looked over every thing that I could think of even replaced the plugs with the fancy ngk iridium whatca ma giggers. they didn't help or hurt. I put 250 mi on them last weekend. I ride the majority of the time at 1500 ft. give or take the low elevation may be agrivating the lean out thing. I don't know if the F.I. system used baro pressure. as an imput or just a O2 sensor for its adjustment. From past experience with cars and trucks I know that systems with more "live" imputs do a better job of metering. that those with less, as the latter tend to rely more on hard setting.

anyway my saga will continue thursday. I'll let you'all know how it goes
Thanks for the imput
I should have noted that my bike is about 1000% more rideable since the fuel map was adjusted. The TBS and plugs won't hurt, but they won't solve the root of the problem which is a lean fuel mixture in the lower RPM range. Based on my expereience tuning the carbs on my old dual webber MGB, 1500 ft of elevation is not enough to significantly effect your fuel ratio. The differential pressure between sea level and 1500 ft. is very small. Based on your comments, it sounds like your tuner knows what he is doing. I would pay the $30 for the yosh adjustment and ride it like you stole it.

Mc2guy

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just a quick update to this saga, as luck would have it the guy I talked to quit a few days before my appointment, unfortunatly I rode 80 miles to find this out! anyway the young guy there did the tbs and extended the hoses as per my request to the tune of $110.00 bucks. he didn't feel confident that doing a yosh adjustment would help. and that if I wanted to try, it would be another $70.00 bucks just to hook the thing up. I took the bike for a ride at his request, and noticed it was quite a bit better, but not right. And since my tech didn't feel confident about a remap, I decided to start searching elsewhere for a fix. anybody have a pcIII they wan't to sell???

I've also gonna order my own mamometer asap

·
Registered
203 Posts
Making your own (meter) is also possible. But if you like the gadgets....

M

·
0 Posts
ononewheel said:
Making your own (meter) is also possible. But if you like the gadgets....
+1

I made one this weekend and it was insanely easy, and cost me about $5. It is more accurate than the sync screw will allow for.

J

·
0 Posts
I have spent 2 days Yosh-ing a 2002 and a 2005 V-Strom DL1000's ABSOLUTELY a +2 at idle will be a huge improvement. You may get away with only +1.5 But anywhere between 1.5 and 2 makes all the difference in the world.

Go to the other forum and read: http://11109.rapidforum.com/area=47

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks JohnInNH,

thats a great thread, and if you read far enough you can kinda find a trend, looks as though less is more on the yosh enrichment, just went for a ride tonight, and its definetly a just off idle lean out thing, very light throttle, and low rpms, I'm going to call some locals and see if I can't find a guy that will set it for me.

hey if anybody knows someone in the Spokane, Washington area that can help me out, please give me a shout.
My Quest continues........................................

1 - 11 of 11 Posts