StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to get a little input on an electrical issue with the bike. I was riding tonight and lost low beams, so immediately headed for home. Just after I pulled in the garage and started pulling things apart to start tracing the problem I lost the high beams as well. There is no power going to the use box, so I'm trying to trace it out now, but might have to take it in to the shop, as I need to get it fixed fairly quickly. Where is the likely point of failure, given that there's no power even going to the fuses? Is this the wiring failure that is solved by the Eastern Beaver relay kit? This really blows, as I have a ride planned next weekend and a big one at the end of the month. :headbang:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Want to get a little input on an electrical issue with the bike. I was riding tonight and lost low beams, so immediately headed for home. Just after I pulled in the garage and started pulling things apart to start tracing the problem I lost the high beams as well. There is no power going to the use box, so I'm trying to trace it out now, but might have to take it in to the shop, as I need to get it fixed fairly quickly. Where is the likely point of failure, given that there's no power even going to the fuses? Is this the wiring failure that is solved by the Eastern Beaver relay kit? This really blows, as I have a ride planned next weekend and a big one at the end of the month. :headbang:
I am assuming there is power everywhere else and the bike starts up no problem? Well then, it certainly sounds like that it is indeed the dreaded starter switch failure... You could take apart the right handle bar switch and inspect it (assuming you know what your looking for)... If it is that then yes, the Eastern Beaver relay kit will solve the problem... Hopefuly Greywolf will chime in on this to confirm...

Richard

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, everything else is fine. I pulled the left handle switch apart to see if I was getting power on that side. Well, lo and behold, the headlights are working again, which doesn't give me a lot of comfort. Even before the headlights started working again that switch was passing power.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Yeah, everything else is fine. I pulled the left handle switch apart to see if I was getting power on that side. Well, lo and behold, the headlights are working again, which doesn't give me a lot of comfort. Even before the headlights started working again that switch was passing power.
I would get the Eastern Beaver H4 relay kit, anyway... I am keeping my 2011 relatively farkle free, but that is one update for sure I will be doing as a precautionary measure...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I definitely don't consider this fixed, since they started working before I could positively identify the point of failure.

And to think I almost traded this in on a Triumph about a month ago.:green_lol:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Yeah, I definitely don't consider this fixed, since they started working before I could positively identify the point of failure.

And to think I almost traded this in on a Triumph about a month ago.:green_lol:
Maybe it's punishing you for the thoughs of possibly straying...:mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Likely culprits are the normally closed contacts on the starter switch or the connectors behind the radiator from the handlebar switches.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Likely culprits are the normally closed contacts on the starter switch or the connectors behind the radiator from the handlebar switches.
Hmmm. I hadn't touched the starter switch yet. I was tracing the wiring back from the high/low beam switch when they started working, and that runs behind the radiator. Possible, then, that it wiggled enough to pass current again. If I'm correct in my reasoning, is that what the H4 relay kit fixes?

·
38,103 Posts
The relay kit takes the entire load of the headlights through two 30A relays and hefty wiring. All the bike's headlight wiring has to handle is throwing the relays.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I understand how they're working, then, I'd still need to look in to that connector, as with no power through there there would be no power to hit the relays. I'm really leaning toward that connector, as I can cause I slight flicker in the headlights by wiggling the harness near it.

·
38,103 Posts
It is best to handle the connector problem though many people find the relay kit alone does the job. The marginal connectors don't get hot just powering the relays and handle the reduced load fine instead of arcing off.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Makes sense. I've got a local bike shop that is the bee's knees on electronics. I'll see if he can fashion a relay harness and save time waiting on shipping.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, that connector is definitely at fault. I can reach back to around it and cut the lights in and out by moving the harness there. Fortunately this seems like pretty easy fix. Guys, thanks for the help. I was in a pretty foul mood and things are looking better.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Now that you have been "Saved". Buy or make a relay harness. I've made mine for my BMW and bought one for the Strom from Eastern Beaver... good stuff. It's about 5 days shipping from Japan. Jim added a cutoff for one headlite to my harness. Very handy for Electric Vest.

Les

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've actually talked to the guy that's replacing the connectors (using high quality connectors) and he's talking about completely rebuilding the wiring harness, which includes adding in the relays, as well as going to HID headlights. Pretty tempting.

·
38,103 Posts
HID headlights come with a relay. Installing an HID kit takes care of the problems and the stock wiring does not need to be touched. Rebuilding the harness is not needed if it is just throwing relays.

·
Registered
301 Posts
HL

On my bike it turned out to be a different problem. The left hand wire harness from the high low beam switch assembly had a short a few inches down . After un -wrapping the wires, I found a metal wire connector which connected two wires into one on the y/w wire. It had black electrical tape that was peeled off. (factory mess up I suppose) . The metal connector rubbed on the b/w ground wire next to it and rubbed right through the outer coating. It was an obvious short when these wires touched.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts