Strom Trooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a five-day period starting out in Colorado Springs, what is a better ride? Devils Tower and then west to Beartooth Pass and Cody, or Devils Tower and then east to ride the Black Hills? I can come back another time to catch whichever direction I miss on this trip. I could take nine days and do both, but I am thinking of just doing the five-day. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Because of the high altitude(Think snow) the time frame for Beartooth is limited. Aug.and early Sept. is best. The rest can be done later at a wider time allotment.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because of the high altitude(Think snow) the time frame for Beartooth is limited. Aug.and early Sept. is best. The rest can be done later at a wider time allotment.
Just my 2 cents.
Thanks nvr2old. I plan on going Labor Day weekend and week. If I only do one direction, it's not likely I'd get back up there this fall anyway. So even if I did the Black Hills, Beartooth could wait until next year. I was just mainly wondering which might be a nicer ride. I have the feeling both are great.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Devils Tower is in my backyard I just did a 400 mile 8 hour loop in the bighorns yesterday and had some good switchbacks and trail rides. I still prefer the black hills- Needles highway, Iron Mountain Road, Badlands, Custer state park, spearfish canyon byway, etc. I have yet to ride the bike over to Cody and Beartooth, but with your timeframe, I'd go with Black Hills. I'm running that way next week. If you come up this way send me a PM, just might be available!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks nvr2old. I plan on going Labor Day weekend and week. If I only do one direction, it's not likely I'd get back up there this fall anyway. So even if I did the Black Hills, Beartooth could wait until next year. I was just mainly wondering which might be a nicer ride. I have the feeling both are great.
Yup.. flip a coin, you can't go wrong with either one.. Just got back from Beartooth this week and it was great - 2nd time there.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
If you're going to ride Spearfish canyon (Beautiful , BTW) , go during breakfast hours and eat at Cheyenne Crossing. Best breakfast we had on our 11 day road trip up there. Yes , I'm one of those riders that enjoys a good meal while I'm on the road.:yesnod:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Devils Tower is in my backyard I just did a 400 mile 8 hour loop in the bighorns yesterday and had some good switchbacks and trail rides. I still prefer the black hills- Needles highway, Iron Mountain Road, Badlands, Custer state park, spearfish canyon byway, etc. I have yet to ride the bike over to Cody and Beartooth, but with your timeframe, I'd go with Black Hills. I'm running that way next week. If you come up this way send me a PM, just might be available!
Will do on the PM. I plan to leave CS on Saturday the 1st or Sunday and get up to The DT in the late afternoon. Probably going to take the next day and hike around a bit, then head over to Black Hills Monday or Tuesday, depending on when I leave the Springs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
beartooth

having climbed and backpacked the beartooth/absaroka extensively in a previous incarnation I would have to say the beartooths. absolutly the wildest terrain in the lower 48,great road,cooke city and red lodge will make bar memories to rival any place, good eats, good people. Why go for a hamburger when you can have filet mignon, metaphorically that is. my 2 cents worth . Ironbasher

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beartooth and Chief Joseph Hwy.

The time is getting closer and I'm trying to map out the route a little bit. I've decided to do Beartooth and Black Hills. But I have a question for those who've ridden CJ Hwy. and BT; since I'll be doing a loop from and back to Cody, is there a direction that is better than the other? I.e., north, south?

·
Registered
114 Posts
The time is getting closer and I'm trying to map out the route a little bit. I've decided to do Beartooth and Black Hills. But I have a question for those who've ridden CJ Hwy. and BT; since I'll be doing a loop from and back to Cody, is there a direction that is better than the other? I.e., north, south?
Last year I did from South to North and a couple weeks ago did North to South - I prefer North to south on BT because it's easier to pull over for pictures but it's pretty much a draw.. for me, doesn't matter which direction as long as you can be there life is good.

·
Registered
414 Posts
good choice. I just returned from 3 wks to Canada and rode both. black hills are beautiful no doubt but bear tooth is even better. chief George hwy leading to beartooth from codyn is almost as pretty. enjoy

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I rode the Chief Joseph and Beartooth Hwy today and it was great. Unfortunately, the weather was not. Once up on Beartooth, it rained steadily, so if was mostly a matter of getting it done with. Overall, it seems like a few of the best CO passes strung together.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Both rides will be nice. Having gone both directions I have to say that Beartooth Pass stick in my memory more. Concerns about the weather are quite valid. There seems to be rain a plenty (sorry, no fries Beacon fans) in those mountains. Earlier in the day is usually better if you have warm enough gear.

This time of year the higher elevation trees should be starting to change into their fall colors. That would make for an awesome view.

Given the choice, I would ride south from Red Lodge to Cooke City. The only reason for that is I like riding up switchbacks better than riding down. Either direction will give you a great view on the Red Lodge side.

If you head east from Devil's Tower be sure to ride Route 16A. That road has several curves that spiral over themselves as well as a tunnel that is built looking directly at Mt. Rushmore.

Have fun and ride safe.

G26

1 - 16 of 16 Posts