StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a bit on this, it seems like everyone that has tried it, has been happy. I am still a little skeptical, in that there has to be a down side...handling...MPG...whatever.

I'm going to need new rubber in a couple months and figure I'll give it a try for myself.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
See, there you go. Bucket, you are going to get a buncha replies from folks that have not tried it and will never expounding on how it can't work.
But those few who have got dark, they are never going back. That's a play on an expression folks.
I had flat, Square, tires but that was on my side car rig. Cheating, I know.:wink2:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Seen the weight carried by a lot of people on the big tourers ?
Throw in a trailer and I have my doubts about any motorcycle tyre being designed for that mass.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Seen the weight carried by a lot of people on the big tourers ?
Throw in a trailer and I have my doubts about any motorcycle tyre being designed for that mass.
That is a legitimate use, I agree. Trikes, and bikes with side cars too. Anything you don't want to or can't corner hard. For me cornering is why I own a bike so I'll stay with the tire that is designed for that!

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
Steve, that may be a presumption. Some darksiders can ride a very respectable pace.
Granted they ain't Carlo Rossi but then they get 15-20K miles on a hundred dollar tire.
What is your knee dragging cost for the sticky tire in 20K miles?

·
Registered
185 Posts
The downside is that it's dangerous. Car tires are not designed to handle the same cornering loads as motorcycle tires.
Yes they are and they weigh 4 times as much or more.
Different ways maybe but to suggest a tyre designed to carry several times more mass can't handle the same loads doesn't really make much sense.

I've seen guys cornering Gold wings and similar bikes at full tilt with a car tyre on, and in conversation they remark that the bike feels more stable in the wet and is much more precise in loose dirt and gravel.
Never ridden on a car tyre but considering I've never seen one on a Ducati I'm guessing those that do might have some idea what they are doing.
Tyre pressures are adjusted to suit and off they go.
Until I've ridden one with some idea of how the same bike feels on bike tyres, I'll hold off on having an opinion.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The downside is that it's dangerous. Car tires are not designed to handle the same cornering loads as motorcycle tires.
Are you absolutely positive about that, with evidence to prove it?

Coops.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far, I don't see anyone that actually tried them and decided they didn't like them.

I don't drag my knees, and actually have never even touched the pegs (drug a hanging toe a couple times is as close as I've gotten), so I doubt I will push the car tire farther than it can handle.

Like I said, I think I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The problem isn't actually the load itself so much as how the tire handles a cornering load. A car tire is intended to be used in a car, where the car's suspension prevents the wheel's axis from leaving a parallel alignment with the ground. Consequently, only the outside surface of a road tire is designed for handling the road surface. The sidewalls are weak and thin, and not designed to handle any kind of abuse.

Have you ever gotten a nail in the side of a car tire? No, right? Because it immediately causes a blowout, right?

If you take a look at most motorcycle tires, the outside of the tread runs least to 45 degree angle away from the center line of the tread. That's because motorcycle tires are frequently expected to run at a 45 degree angle to the ground.
Are you absolutely positive about that, with evidence to prove it?
This is a great article on the subject: ridermagazine.com/2016/05/20/tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles/
Check out the image that shows the car and the motorcycle executing the same turn.

I think car tires might feel more comfortable and planted because they're comparatively heavier, but they're not structurally sound for a motorcycle application. Overinflating a car tire to make it take on the shape of a motorcycle tire only increases the risk of blowout when the sidewalls are already taking on more load than they're designed for.

·
Registered
859 Posts
There's the those that say the bike engineers know what they're doing when it comes to bike features and then turn right around and marginalize the motorcycle tire engineers. If you mostly super slab it - straight path sorta thang - I say go ahead. You do any sort of turning I say stick with what's engineered with a curved surface to deal with varying wear surfaces.
Simple visual analogy - take a brick and roll sideways. Not a whole lotta surface area there.
Plus - cornering on an auto tire exposes a much weaker sidewall to road hazards.
Just my 2 centavos - worth much less than 2 cents.

Reactions: VSrider

·
Registered
201 Posts
I almost went Darkside last year, but I chose not to at the last minute. The deciding factor for me was that I was unsure that I could find anybody willing to mount it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
I suppose there may be some concern for bead design too. Using the proper tool for the job is the best scenario.
Doesn't mean you can't use a ball peen hammer to drive a nail though.
Ball peen hammer wielders UNITE. Dark siders ride on.

·
Registered
22,279 Posts
So far, I don't see anyone that actually tried them and decided they didn't like them.

I don't drag my knees, and actually have never even touched the pegs (drug a hanging toe a couple times is as close as I've gotten), so I doubt I will push the car tire farther than it can handle.

Like I said, I think I'll give it a try.
I did the darkside thing as a winter experiment, successful beyond my wildest imagination, motorcycle tires are not even in the same league when it comes to cold pavement, snow & ice

the biggest downside I found to the darkside was slow speed (parking lot speeds) and off road (single track) handling. Once moving along, it's hard to tell the difference, radial tire carcasses flex the same, whether a MC tire or car tire

·
Registered
279 Posts
There's the those that say the bike engineers know what they're doing when it comes to bike features and then turn right around and marginalize the motorcycle tire engineers. If you mostly super slab it - straight path sorta thang - I say go ahead. You do any sort of turning I say stick with what's engineered with a curved surface to deal with varying wear surfaces.
Simple visual analogy - take a brick and roll sideways. Not a whole lotta surface area there.
Plus - cornering on an auto tire exposes a much weaker sidewall to road hazards.
Just my 2 centavos - worth much less than 2 cents.
Agree but even with super slab, why bother? Back in 2006 we saw multiple car tire recalls, lawsuits, deaths and injuries caused when the Firestone had blowout issues causing rollovers. The folks that got hurt and families of those killed were compensated. If you had one of those tires on a motorcycle you were out of luck. I'll pay the extra $50/tire and use one designed and warrantied for the use. Will a car tire work, sure. Chances of it blowing out, most likely slim. Can you take a corner on it, yes. May it ride smoother on slab straight like a car would ride, perhaps. But again, if you are not on a trike or side car why bother?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Finally, we can get studded tires for winter time MC use. How about some raised white letters to really say something?
LOL - or better yet those big fat whitewalls.
Seriously tho - in ND and Canada they race on ice with tires that look like they ran over a porcupine.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
"How about some raised white letters to really say something?"

There are tires for Harleys that have white sidewalls, does that count?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Th

This is a great article on the subject: ridermagazine.com/2016/05/20/tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles/
Check out the image that shows the car and the motorcycle executing the same turn.
That is not a great article at all. It is one man's opinion, with many inaccuracies, based on his own prejudices with no actual personal experience at all. Just because he is a journalist does not make his ideas carry any more weight than other peoples'.

The images of the car and bike don't prove anything.

I have no interest in putting a car tyre on my V-strom but if folks want to boo-hoo the idea they should at least try it before making up stuff to suit their own bias.:wink2:

I have never heard of anybody putting a car tyre on the front as he claims either. I think that he just made that one up because it reads good.:grin2:

Coops.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts