StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys clean and lube your chains without making a mess? I have been cleaning my chain with kerosine, a small brush, and a pan to catch the drips. With my best efforts I still end of with crap all over my rear wheel and swing arm. I clean the mess up with paper towels, but usually end up wanting to wash the bike when I am done - which in turn makes feel I need to lube the damn chain again. ARGH! :headbang:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I Hate using a little brush. I'm not too fond of kerosene either. Then there's the part where I really don't want to spend much time or effort on chain cleaning.

Usually I spray a little WD40 on the chain while it's warm after a ride, then run the chain through a cloth. The added benefit is that the WD40 impregnated cloth is handy for cleaning any splatter on the wheel or swingarm. The chain looks and feels clean(ish) and then gets a spray of something like the BelRay no-splatter chain lube - the stuff that looks white and waxy. Abnormal or early chain wear has not been an issue.

For Christmas my secret Santa gave me a Tirox chain cleaner kit. It's a can of chain cleaner with a spiral wire brush that you wrap onto the chain. It even includes some rubber gloves. I tried it the other day. The chain is similarly cleanish looking and feeling. The chain cleaner smells suspiciously like WD40 and has the same consistency. I sprayed on the Tirox chain lube, It's very light, feels like WD40 and smells a little more oily - it seems very splattery like 1980s-ish Castrol chain lube.

I think what I'll be doing is using the chain cleaner and spiral brush thing until the can runs out, then WD40 and the spiral brush. The Tirox chain lube can collect dust on a shelf until I'm out of everything else. Until then I'll stick with the non-splatter stuff.

The spiral brush works well. It's still pretty messy. If I ever lose it I'll go back to the cloth method.

·
Registered
524 Posts
How are you applying the kerosene? Just soak a rag with kerosene, grasp the lower portion of the chain, get it nice and damp, (doesn't need to be dripping wet) Then either use a old tooth brush or get yourself a Grunge brush. (even better)

Let the chain go maybe 3-4 revolutions passing over either the TB or GB, clean the chain with a clean rag removing all remaining kerosene, apply the lube of your choice and your GTG. This should take maybe 15 mins with virtually no mess.

·
Registered
273 Posts
+ 1 for the Kettenmax. Quick, very un-messy, plus you can do it in a reasonably environmentally friendly way. I put a a couple of pages of newspaper down under the chain, burn these later in the fireplace. Cleanup is easy - I catch the overflow in a clean empty container, which I then walk over to a nearby oil change shop for recycling. I clean up the brushes in hot soapy water. Whole thing, excluding the walk to the oil change shop, takes no more than 15 minutes.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I use a mix of kerosine and oil in an old WD-40 spray bottle. (Very little oil).

Chain gets a light spray, then I damp down a paper towel with the kero/oil mix, spin the rear wheel backwards and let the paper towel do the work. Repeat 3 or 4 times until the paper towels aren't coming off thick with dirt. Another light spray and another quick wipe.

This only happens every couple of months. I have a chain oiler so the chain doesn't get particularly dirty, and I don't bother to lube it after - there's a small amount of oil in the kero and that's enough until the oiler picks up the load.

Again, easy cleanup. I usually wear disposable gloves - but mainly because I usually clean out the front sprocket area as well.

Pete

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I bought a Grunge Brush over the winter when I needed to add something like $5 to my order to get free shipping. It does a hell of a great job for my 1500 mile cleaning (which, I just realized I am late for again). I apply kerosene with a shop rag, then use the Grunge Brush to clean the chain. The engine is OFF for this. . .

·
Registered
703 Posts
Its a bit expensive, but I use Motul Chain Clean. It is an aerosol White Spirit solvent (Stoddart). That's the same solvent as in WD40, except no oil mixed in. I then use a Grunge Brush if it is really dirty, or a cloth if not so much. I then let the solvent evaporate, and coat with Motul Chain Gard. The stock chain lasted 34,000km before I decided to replace it. It could have gone a few thousand more.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I use engine degreaser like gunk, spray it on rub it in with a fingernail brush, wait a few minutes and hose off. To lube the chain I place a piece of cardboard behind the chain to keep the overspray off the wheel and spray on dupont chain lube while spinning the wheel.:thumbup:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I do a modified version of the cardboard, where I will take a piece about the length of the swing arm hinge to about the end of the sprocket, and bend it into a L shape. I then put the cardboard behind the swing arm, and in front of the wheel so that they hold the cardboard in place. The L part sits on the ground facing me. I then have complete access to the chain to clean, a lip on the cardboard to catch the drippings from the chain. I can also easily roll the wheel while cleaning.

The positive is that you can go as wild as you want and you will never get any on the wheel. The wheel and chain are also free to roll also with minimal resistance from the wheel.

I then hit the chain with a rag/brush and DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant to clean and lube at the same time. It never really gets dirty with this stuff, but i'm cleaning it like every 500 miles or so anyway.

I do want to get one of the Tirox brushes. It looks like it would do a great job.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
wonder if some of these kero or de-greaser ideas are in any way good for a modern O-Ring chain :confused:
It's fine. The O or X rings are synthetics designed to stand up to petroleum products. Suzuki even specifies kerosene to clean the chain.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I guess...maybe, coming from 2 shaft drive bikes I think I'll just be buying chains more often before I get that into it. :confused:
That's like cleaning the bathroom floor with a toothbrush as a punishment. :jawdrop:
I'm with you. If I had to do what that guy in the video was doing I'd sell the bike and get a GS. I do spray it down with the Dupont stuff and wipe off the grime with a paper towel, but that's all she's getting from me. Got about 15K on this chain and will probably replace in the next 4 or 5K miles. That's long enough.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts