StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than spend the money on a speedohealer, I bought a cheap Sigma bicycle speedometer and attached it to my 650. I wanted it to be in the approximate position as the actual speedometer (so I didn't have to look anywhere else to see my speed), so I fabbed a mount out of scrap aluminum, which attaches to one of the screws holding the front fairing together. The magnet that comes with the bicycle speedometer wont work with this application, so I bought a couple tiny magnets at Radio Shack. These can be seen on one of the photos; they are glued to the rotor mount with epoxy.

The speedometer is calibrated based on the circumference of the front tire. It works pretty good, and showed that the 650's speedometer is off by about 5 mph. I think I have $25.00 in the project. You could spend even less if you bought a cheaper bicycle speedo. Now, in addition to an accurate speedometer, I also have an accurate odometer in case I'm navigating without my GPS.

Here's a link to the photo album if you want to see the other photos:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/members/41909-rcinnc-albums-cheap-guy-s-speedometer-fix.html

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ghetto fabulous, IMHO.

A SpeedoDRD is only $70 and you won't have that nasty skin tag on the right side of your instrument cluster.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ghetto fabulous, IMHO.

A SpeedoDRD is only $70 and you won't have that nasty skin tag on the right side of your instrument cluster.
LOL, I know, but I didn't feel like messing with the wiring. This was easier (for me). Besides, if aesthetics was my main concern, I wouldn't have bought a V-strom....

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I did the same thing on my DR650. Nice to have something accurate that can be set up metric over the border. Simple is good.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the same thing on my DR650. Nice to have something accurate that can be set up metric over the border. Simple is good.
My philosophy also...simple is good. I make a lot of my own parts. The GPS mount in the picture was fabbed out of $4.00 camera mount and sheet plastic, so I could use the same Navigon GPS in both my car and on my bike.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ghetto fabulous, IMHO.

Did you just get the universal version? How was the install?

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like!

:thumbup:

Cheap mods are my favorite.
LOL, mine too! That's one more thing that I love about the V-stroms; you can make stuff for it in your garage, and you never have to worry about getting it chrome plated!

·
Registered
187 Posts
temp & altitude

That's a great solution! Shortly after I bought my bike (used) I bought a corrected speedo template sold by someone here on the forum (I forget who). But this got me wondering if there was a temperature/altitude indicator like this speedometer thing? I'd love to add something like that. Anyone know of anything like that?

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a great solution! Shortly after I bought my bike (used) I bought a corrected speedo template sold by someone here on the forum (I forget who). But this got me wondering if there was a temperature/altitude indicator like this speedometer thing? I'd love to add something like that. Anyone know of anything like that?
Amazon has a bunch of devices like that. Use "wrist altimeter" or "Pocket altimeter" in their search engine. Some of the wrist altimeters are really pricey (like in the $800-$1000 range), but there are a couple from Pyle that are inexpensive. It shouldn't be too hard to fabricate a mount for one so you could put it on the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Did you just get the universal version? How was the install?
I just installed the S1 version which is plug and play for the Glee. No need for the universal. 15 minute install and I can readjust whenever it's needed.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought I read this in some previous postings about the speedometer healers; is it true that they will fix the speed error but that the odometer becomes more inaccurate? I might be wrong about this, but it sticks in my mind.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Isn't that a GPS on your bars? Is that not telling you your current speed?

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Isn't that a GPS on your bars? Is that not telling you your current speed?
Frustratingly, my GPS doesn't display my current speed; it only warns me when I'm exceeding the speed limit. That was my reason for using the bicycle speedometer; it was either that, a speedohealer, or buy another GPS. The bicycle speedometer was the cheapest fix.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you 100% sure it cant?
As far as I've ever been able to determine after multiple attempts at getting my Navigon to divulge its secrets, yes, I'm sure. Nothing is 100 percent, of course, except the likelihood of a Harley bashing thread appearing in the next 30 days....

·
Registered
435 Posts
I thought I read this in some previous postings about the speedometer healers; is it true that they will fix the speed error but that the odometer becomes more inaccurate? I might be wrong about this, but it sticks in my mind.
Yeah, it's kinda a tradeoff. I put a SpeedoDRD on my bike and now the speedometer is very very very close to being exact but the odometer reads just a little bit low. I've got over 8K miles on the bike already so it will probably take another (real) 20-30K miles of riding before my odometer reading is actually right overall, making up for the overage the odometer was reporting before. But the install of the SpeedoDRD literally took under 10 minutes. Pop the seat up, look over on the left side to locate the connector, separate it, plug the SpeedoDRD inline and program it in about 2 minutes using the very clear instructions they give online.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Verify your speed using a GPS and use a grease pencil to tick 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 on your glass over the speedo. If you decide you don't like it you can always remove it later using some elbow grease and a vinegar based window cleaner.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

1 - 20 of 35 Posts