StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most I find the stock mirrors on the VStrom are not wide enough to get a good rearview.

The stock mirror stems have a OD of 1/2, ID 3/8 ( earlier models maybe different)

Get 2) 3" x 3/8 aluminum rod
Mark rods 1/2 on either end and stick em in the freezer
Cut mirror stems in the centre of the longest part, use guide marks on either side of the cut to help with alignment later, debur ends and run a 3/8 drill bit in em to get rid of casting ridge.
Use heat gun on mirror stems, when hot get someone to run inside and grab the cold rod and install to the 1/2 mark.
Let cool, then place in freezer
Use align marks when installing the other end.
Use bumper black paint to finish

If you have access to a lathe use 1/2 rod and get the ends turned down to 3/8 x 1/2

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update

One of the joints came loose from me trying to adjust mirrors so I used epoxy on it.

Interesting thing happened today on the way home from work, I noticed allot of wind on my legs, then I realized it wasn't that, it was the total lack of buffeting I was getting do to the mirrors being moved out 2" so I only felt the wind on my legs. I read somewhere else on this forum where someone experienced the same thing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will post pics when I figure out how and I get more then a few minutes free time.

I found the mirrors extended do reduce buffeting to a point, I think once you start going over 40mph most the airflow comes up from under the bike.

Extending the mirrors is worth the effort IMHO.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry but trying to figure out how to post pictures makes my head hurt.
I really dislike fooling around with computers. I'd be more then happy to email you some pics if you pm me your address.

·
Registered
39 Posts
PM to ya

Sorry but trying to figure out how to post pictures makes my head hurt.
I really dislike fooling around with computers. I'd be more then happy to email you some pics if you pm me your address.
PM away...
i'll attemp to post when i get them...
being a Computer geek among other things :-D :twisted: :rolleyes: :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
ok, here they are... i hope...
thanks to islandstrom for sending them to me... and my unimaginitive self:rolleyes: :-D :twisted: :cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Nice job Islandstrom, you'd have to look reeeaaalllly close to notice those mirrors weren't stock.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Islandstrom....Nice job.
Do you get any extra vibration with them extended ?
Jim
Thanks for posting the pics for me.

They seem fine so far vibration wise, I'm just happy I can finally see what's behind me now. At first I was thinking of buying a set of KTM mirrors like others have done, I figured if I'm willing to do that I have nothing to lose by screwing up the stock ones.

The way I made them they're about 90% perfect, because I used a straight piece of 3/8 rod it tends to tilt the mirrors about 5 - 10* downward. If I was really anal retentive I think I use 1/2" X 2 1/2" tubing with a ID of 3/8" and use some 1" X 3/8" aluminum rod as dowels, put a slight bend in tubing, rough fit everything together and install on the bike to check adjustment, mark all joints, for the sake of ease just sand and epoxy all joints.

The paint I used was bumper paint, another name for it is trim paint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts