StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 909 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Buffeting and Airflow

Hello All. I have recently bought a 2008 V-Strom 650a. The bike came with a Madstad bracket and Suzuki touring shield. I am 6 foot and have the stock seat but sit on an inch and a half high pad. The set-up that came with the bike didn't eliminate buffeting and after a weekend of tooling around I had a sore neck. I have since purchased a Windtsrom Super Tall windscreen and the buffeting is gone. There is still a lot of wind on my torso but that comes from the shape of the tank. Of course I don't have to tell DL650 owners that. Just wanted to say that the Windstrom eliminated the buffeting for me. The plastic is thickest of any windscreen I have ever seen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello All. I have recently bought a 2008 V-Strom 650a. The bike came with a Madstad bracket and Suzuki touring shield. I am 6 foot and have the stock seat but sit on an inch and a half high pad. The set-up that came with the bike didn't eliminate buffeting and after a weekend of tooling around I had a sore neck. I have since purchased a Windtsrom Super Tall windscreen and the buffeting is gone. There is still a lot of wind on my torso but that comes from the shape of the tank. Of course I don't have to tell DL650 owners that. Just wanted to say that the Windstrom eliminated the buffeting for me. The plastic is thickest of any windscreen I have ever seen.
this thread is for dl 1000 2014..

Finally I got hands on an mra variotouring screen for my Vee2.

Here are some photos:
https://plus.google.com/photos/115315701526889859466/albums/6027835358211392193?authkey=CJ-7p67wxJu-5wE

I still have to test it on the highway..

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Givi Airflow

RhinoVstrom,
Congrats on the Airflow. It looks really sharp on your Vee2. The Airflow windshield was my favorite accessory for my '11 Wee, and had significant buffeting of my head without it. It really made my ride quiet and comfortable.

With my '14 Vee2, I get some refreshing chest air but NO buffeting whatsoever from the stock windshield. I was going to buy the Airflow as soon as it was for sale, but now have decided it is not necessary. Obviously, individual experiences will vary. I am 5'8" tall with a 29+" inseam. I am happy to keep the stock windshield so I can spend my money on the SW Motech skidplate, a set of panniers etc....

Good luck with the windshield!:thumbup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
[QUOTE

Finally I got hands on an mra variotouring screen for my Vee2.

..[/QUOTE]

I've had a MRA Xcreeen Touring on my bike for the past 13,000 km and it has completely eliminated the buffeting I was experiencing with the optional high screen. I am 6' 4" tall with a 36" inseam. I use it with the optional clamps that avoid the need to use glue or drill the screen and provide a lot more adjustment of height and angle.

I have to say I was disappointed with the optional screen which is only marginally taller than the stock one and was no better.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, finally spent 90 min on a test ride of the new DL1000 today and was floored by the high-frequency buffeting of the stock screen. I literally couldn't read road signs my head was shaking so bad!!

Admittedly, the helmet I wore is an unknown (cheaper) one but I never noticed anything like this with other bikes. I'd rather take the screen off altogether than ride with this.

Is there a reasonably certain fix for this.....I wouldn't like a large screen distorting the view.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Well, finally spent 90 min on a test ride of the new DL1000 today and was floored by the high-frequency buffeting of the stock screen. I literally couldn't read road signs my head was shaking so bad!!

Admittedly, the helmet I wore is an unknown (cheaper) one but I never noticed anything like this with other bikes. I'd rather take the screen off altogether than ride with this.

Is there a reasonably certain fix for this.....I wouldn't like a large screen distorting the view.

Minimal to No buffeting nor any vision blur with my Arai Vector 2. I can read license plates quite a ways off when at speed. Just sayin'.

Now that it's warm I really like being able to push on the screen and have it retract all the way back to get extra airflow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I finally got a chance to give the home made windshield a good highway test. All the way up to 75+ it is pretty much buffet free. The wind goes well over my head at any speed. It would probably do a little better in crosswinds if I had made it just a little wider, but it is still really good. Took a 100 mile loop through all kinds of roads from city streets to freeway. Averaged 55 MPG!
:thumbup:I admire people who have the skills and patience to build their own stuff when they are unable to find it on the market ! Congrats !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Givi screens

Cant wait to hear some feedback on these Givi screens. Not sure if I want to change mine or not, I like the look of the stock one and its not really that bad. Thanks for all the useful input and please keep it coming.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Dani, thx for the pics and review. I tried all 18 positions of the standard and touring screens and I found one setting that was tolerable, but not for extended rides. I just now bought a Givi Airflow and I hope I like it as much as you do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Givi screen

Thanks for the info Dani, I am curious as to whether you look over the screen or thru it. And how that affects your field of vision if you do look thru it? I am 6 ft tall and well over the stock screen but that one looks pretty tall.

P.S. Bike looks good in black.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Maximum height of the Givi Airflow is 50 cm (12 cm of extension) width 44 cm that is 14.96 tp 19.685 inches and a width of 17.3228 inches. If I remember correctly my screen on my '06 Vee was 19" and I looked over it easily and you're taller than I. I ordered it Sunday night and it arrives tomorrow (Tuesday), $193 from Adventure Motostuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's one of the advantages of this screen :it's sliding - you can look over or thru it. In the position of the picture I look over it and I have no wind or buffeting. I tried the top position and looking thru the screen does not affect the field of vision ( has no distortion ).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Put the Givi Airflow on today and experimented w/ the settings. I started by installing it in the bottom hole of the Suzuki mount, it's a tall screen and the lowest hole is closest to the base. The best position for me was the screen up two inches from the bottom (it's adjustable and it only takes 10 seconds) w/ the Suzuki screen in the #1 setting. I could see about 8 feet in front of me while cruising and the airflow was perfect. At 90++ I had to check and see if my helmet visor was open, and it was. By the way I'm 5'9" w/ a 30" inseam. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate this screen an 11, it completely changed my riding experience.

41 - 60 of 909 Posts