StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 909 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Original Givi Airflow (AF3105) is now available in The Netherlands:thumbup: €122,00 = $ 167,00). I get my Airflow next week. When I have it, I'll put a picture.

Sale reference deleted. All sales posts must be in the For Sale forum or local flea market thread. GW

Greet,

Peter

·
Registered
25 Posts
Madstadt and Different Windscreen

While I haven ridden a new DL1000 as of yet, I've sat my derrière on a few. My take on the new design is while it isn't a barn-burner, it is an improvement of sorts. One thing I do see that I would've liked different is for a little more wind protection from the fairing/windscreen combination. Perhaps I'll get to take a test ride soon and find the design to be better at this than it appears to be in a static state.

In any event, I'll stick with my long time rule of not buying the first model year of a new design.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've mentioned in another thread that the standard screen and 'fairing' provide good protection from the weather, even including the hands (no guards yet).

I confirmed that today when I mounted my camera on a Ram mount from the clutch master cylinder. The microphone hardly picked up any wind noise, unlike when helmet mounted, so the air is being deflected quite effectively.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've mentioned in another thread that the standard screen and 'fairing' provide good protection from the weather, even including the hands (no guards yet).

I confirmed that today when I mounted my camera on a Ram mount from the clutch master cylinder. The microphone hardly picked up any wind noise, unlike when helmet mounted, so the air is being deflected quite effectively.
I agree but I think some people mistake wind noise for buffeting so they end end looking thru a windshield that looks like it came off a 52 Buick

·
Registered
594 Posts
I agree but I think some people mistake wind noise for buffeting so they end end looking thru a windshield that looks like it came off a 52 Buick
I agree also.
I had a chance to test ride the new Vee. I am 6'2".
There was some wind noise, not bad and definatelly non of that "head in a paint shaker" business that I had with my 08 Wee when I first got it.
Fixed at first by removing the screen entirely and then later adding a Madstad and Vstream screen. Wind noise is NOT buffeting.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I went a stage further and swung the camera in so that it was behind the screen. NO wind noise at all and all I could hear was the motor. So with what I've found with the deflection of rain/showers, I reckon the screen does a pretty good job. As mentioned above, a bit of wind noise around the helmet is not buffet.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I agree with the posters above. My '11 Wee did have buffeting, and the Givi adjustable windshield took care of that perfectly. My '14 Vee2 gives me NO buffeting. I am 5'8" tall with a 29"+ inseam. It does however, give me great air circulating around my chest region that is refreshing!. I do not believe I will need any aftermarket windshields. :yesnod:

·
Registered
18 Posts
A standard for measuring Windshield results??

I am sure this will end up being a massively long thread like the DL650 was. I think we should come up with a new standard to measure and compare results as the mileage greatly varies from one person to another. It seams that these are the factors that relate to the driver:

Height, Width of Shoulders, type of helmet, and to lesser degree type of jacket and other non-stock accessories (remember the DL650 mirrors?).

I would submit that the key measurement that we need (and never discuss) is the distance between the seat and the top of the persons head, or perhaps chin. Trunk length varies and so this seems like a key measurement to me.

So, perhaps we come up with a name for that metric, maybe call it 'seat2chin' or some such thing.

What do you all think? I think it is time to get a more precise way of measuring...

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I'm 6' 2" and I find that I need a screen that's a bit taller. Maybe 2 or 3 inches. It's not terrible now, but if I scrunch down a bit it's a LOT better.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Make your own

If you don't think the factory screen is enough, which I didn't, make your own. If you are handy, it can be done and will work very well. I got some 3/16" plexiglass and drew a pattern, cut it out with a jig saw and used a sanding block on the edges. I used a heat gun to bend it and then marked and drilled the holes. I used weather stripping to cushion it against the bracket and then used neoprene and nylon washers with stainless screws and nuts to hold it.

It works far better than the stock shield. I have used it for over 700 miles so far and there are no cracks or other problems. It only cost me about $40.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
At Last!! The first picture of the Givi Air-Flow screen for the 2014 V-Strom 1000A. And it's mine:thumbup:

Front:

Back;

That looks really nice Rhino :thumbup:

Combined with the better ergonomics of the new bike, this will make the long rides perfect. Can't wait to see it installed on the bike :yesnod:

My Airflow for the 650 has been the best accessory I got for the bike, so this will be the first item I get when I get my new 1000. Then a pipe :mrgreen:

21 - 40 of 909 Posts