StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the newest guy here. Joined this morning. Been lurking for a while. 10:00 Friday morning the dealer is going to deliver my new 2003 V-Strom. I traded in a 2003 Bandit. (thought I was going to die on that bike) I am an older guy (55) and the hooligan bike was not for me. Don't get me wrong-I like the power and the speed (seen 143mph once), but didn't like the heavey cornering and all that damn buzzing. And-my wife would not ride on it. By By Bandit. See you around the Forum. I sure I will have a lot of ?s

·
Registered
351 Posts
New Guy

Welcome R Hals

I compared the Hp and torque of the Bandit and the Strom. From Bike magazine the GSF 1200S 2001 weighs 214Kg, is rated at 105 Hp at 8700 rpm and 72ft/lbs at 7100 rpm at the rear wheel. The Strom weighs 207 Kg, at the crank it's 96Hp at 7600 rpm and 75 ft/lbs at 6400 rpm. At the rear wheel it's about 90 Hp and 65 ft/lbs. The Strom lacks the top end Hp of other 1 litre bikes. I enjoy my Strom, but I wish it had the motor from the SV 1000 which rates at 106 Hp at 8750 rpm and 69 ft/lbs at 7250 rpm measured at the rear wheel. You have gone from one comfortable bike to another, great for big people.

Have a great time on the VS and keep Riding the Winds of Change.

Scooter

R

·
0 Posts
I sold my 2002 Kawasaki ZZR1200 (over 150 HP and 12,4 kg/m torque) for the VStrom but I haven't had any regret. I just wasn't made for the Kawa, way too sporty ergonomics for me. My neck, sholders and back were killing after 18 months and 30000 km of riding. The DL is great, every day again!

Have fun driving,

Ruben

M

·
0 Posts
I bought my Strom because the wife wouldn't get on my bandit 1200s after one trip to France. I had every intention of keeping the bandit and converting it to a single seat just to play on Sunday's with, but after only a month or so sold the bandit as I didn't use it at all!
I've been touring twice on the strom, once with a vtr and fazer with just me (no wife :D ) and once with her ladyship and all her wardrobe, both times were very sucessful and no feelings of regret over selling the bandit at all.
Happy riding

1 - 4 of 4 Posts