StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The BIG Sights - 3 States Ride - Pt1 of 9

8 days; 3 States; 4,340kms; 234ltrs of fuel; some BIG Sights and 6 of 200 Aust. M/Cycle Atlas Top Rides.
Day 1 Monday 30/1/2012 – Central Coast to Bathurst. Left the Central Coast of NSW and headed for Bathurst via Lithgow on the Bells Line of Road (Top Ride #16).
Wet weather gear in orange plastic bag, confident won't be needed, fingers crossed.

Weather was great, no rain, traveling across Hawkesbury River at Brooklyn NSW.

Then on to Windsor and Richmond and the Bells Line.

1st BIG Sight was The BIG Fruit Bowl at Bilpin.

Then it was up to the 2nd BIG Sight, The BIG Miners Lamp at Lithgow.

On to the 3rd BIG Sight, The BIG Gold Panner at Bathurst.

Finally on to my brother’s house in Bathurst for a few ales and my last home cooked meal for a few days. Bathurst was overcast and then the heavens opened for about 5 minutes for an unbelievable downpour. Fortunately this was the only rain I encountered on the entire trip and I was in the house at the time.

Day2 Tuesday 31/1. – Bathurst to Cobar. Left Bathurst heading west, plenty of blue skies except where I’m headed but fortunately the skies cleared and it was blue all the way.

Took the Wellington bypass and went through Cumnock, Obley, Toongi to Dubbo. Great road and some amazing sights with the "Animals on Bikes" (self not included just in case someone was going to comment) attractions all the way along the bypass.

Arrived at Dubbo, refueled both me and bike and away I go (sorry no pics)

Where I've come from....

....and where I'm going

Not really sure of what I will encounter in this area :confused:

Roads are long and straight and the dirt is becoming a distinctive red colour.
Passed two road trains on the way to Cobar plenty of speed needed to get away from these things.

Arrived Cobar at 4:30pm and took advantage of the time for a few pictures.
The BIG Cobar sign, always wanted this picture.

Then to the motel for the night.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The BIG Sights - 3 States Ride – Pt2

Day3 Wednesday 1/2. –Cobar to Broken Hill. Before leaving Cobar had a couple of places to visit.
The BIG Beer Can on the Grand Hotel awning.

Then out to the Peak Hill Gold Mine (BIG Hole in the Ground) from the Fort Bourke Lookout

Back through Cobar and onto Broken Hill

Lots of long, flat road in a huge flat landscape. It is just jaw dropping :yikes: to realise how vast this great brown land really is.

But no matter where you go, no matter how far you think you are away from civilisation, this happens.......

Must of sat here for 5 minutes or more waiting for a green light, nothing went the other way during this time :furious:
Then more of the same

]

Here's some video so you can enjoy the ride too, just click on the picture
[URL=http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/AstroBOB411/8day-3State-BIG%20Item%20Ride%202012/?action=view&current=83-01022012-RoadTrainBarrierHwyNSW.mp4][/URL]

Coming into Broken Hill around 2:30pm

Looking across Broken Hill to the Line of Load

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The BIG Sights - 3 States Ride – Pt3

Click the picture to take the ride up the Line of Lode to the Miners Memorial
[URL=http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/AstroBOB411/8day-3State-BIG%20Item%20Ride%202012/?action=view&current=93-01022012-RoadupTheLineofLoad.mp4][/URL]

The BIG Bench on the Line of Lode at Broken Hill

The Line of Lode Tourist Information Centre, Restaurant and Miners Memorial all sits atop this huge pile of dirt known as The Line of Lode that overlooks the city.

This is the ride back down the Line of Lode
[URL=http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/AstroBOB411/8day-3State-BIG%20Item%20Ride%202012/?action=view&current=118-01022012-RidedownfromTheLineofLoadBROKENHILLNSW.mp4][/URL]

In the park across from the Information Centre is The BIG Ant created by Pro Hart

Next stop was The BIG Picture but when I got there the gallery was closed so had to settle on a picture of the sign for The BIG Picture

From here I travelled the 27kms to Silverton for a beer at the famous Silverton Hotel and to view Mad Max's Interceptor.

Also this, The Interceptor's Love Child

A list of movies, tv shows and commercials the Silverton Hotel has been in and the names it has had (the name boards now hang on the roof of the verandah

The pubs outdoor stage

Back to Broken Hill for the night

They did have some rain the week before I arrived and the town was cut off for a day or 2.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Enjoying the BIG ride so far Bob.
YOU may have wanted to add the Cobar shot to your collection but WE all like you sitting on the big bench up on the Line of Lode at Broken Hill !! :thumbup:
See you soon...

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The BIG Sights - 3 States Ride – Pt4

Day4 Thursday 2/2. – Broken Hill to Adelaide SA.

Left Broken Hill and headed “straight” for the border

1st border crossing under the belt, now on to Adelaide with a couple of stops on the way

I got a bit excited when I saw something different to the usual long, straight, flat road so took some video.
[URL=http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/AstroBOB411/8day-3State-BIG%20Item%20Ride%202012/?action=view&current=158-02022012-TrainpassingonBarrierHwySA.mp4][/URL]
Not long after there was another
[URL=http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/AstroBOB411/8day-3State-BIG%20Item%20Ride%202012/?action=view&current=160-02022012-TwoTrainsOutbackSARailRoad.mp4][/URL]
The next BIG item appeared about 20kms east of Yunta SA, The BIG Dice

Onward to Adelaide

Lots of Wind Farms in this area around Burra SA, this is just one of the blades, which I guess is the next BIG item, The BIG Fan Blade

Stopped just outside Burra township for a coffee

Then into town where I was told they make the best Cornish Pasties in SA, so I had to put it to the test. Found the place

And tried the goods

56 kms to Adelaide and then on to the next BIG item

The BIG Rocking Horse at Gumeracha SA

On to the motel for another early night.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The BIG Sights - 3 States Ride – Pt5

Day5 Friday 3/2. – Adelaide SA to Portland VIC.
Had breakfast with my mate Gary before leaving Adelaide and heading through the Hills

Down into Murray Bridge and across the Murray River

Coming into Tallem Bend and then onto Kingston SE and Mount Gambier

The Coorong Wetlands

Lake Albert

Coming into Meningie SA

More Salt Lakes in The Coorong

Coorong Lagoon

On to Kingston SE for lunch and the next BIG item, The BIG Lobster

After lunch moved on to Robe (it's not famous for Robes) to see the Star Shaped Light House and The Obelisk and then Mount Gambier

Entering Millicent

And then Mount Gambier

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The BIG Sights - 3 States Ride – Pt6

While in Mount Gambier I took a look at the Umpherston Sink Hole (BIG Sink Hole Victorian Garden)

The Sink Hole Sculpture

On my way to Portland and my 2nd Border Crossing

Crossing from SA into VIC and on to Portland VIC

Beautiful evening at the port at Portland VIC

Up for a feed now and a good nights sleep in Portland.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Making me home sick, spent most of my youth riding between Sydney - Adelaide - Melbourne - Sydney!! Great pic's so far:thumbup:! The Umpherston Sinkhole always amazed me as a kid! Did you get some pic's of the Mt Gambier Lake? Now for the rest of Vic!!!

Farmerstrom

·
Registered
272 Posts
That's awsome.

Thanks for sharing and glad the weather held out for you. The only cross state trips you can do at the moment are in a boat.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Damn it Bob!

Why didn't you let me know you were doing the trip :confused:

I'm in desperate need of a decent road trip. :fineprint:

Did you do the motor museum in SA?
The bikes there are an awesome collection, the cars and trucks are pretty bloody good too.

Great report and pics mate, I even have some of the same things in my collection of pics from my 09 three state ride.

:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The BIG Sights - 3 States Ride – Pt7

Day6 Saturday 4/2. – Portland VIC to Melbourne VIC.

Leaving Portland wasn't as "clear" as my arrival

some video
[URL=http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/AstroBOB411/8day-3State-BIG%20Item%20Ride%202012/?action=view&current=248-040220102-LeavingPORTLANDVIC.mp4][/URL]
The fog just kept rolling in

On my way to The Great Ocean Road (GOR)

The day eventually cleared up and I came across this fence with the BIGgest collection of shoes known as the Gallery of Little Soles Tyrendarra VIC

Then here's a video of the road to The Crags
[URL=http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/AstroBOB411/8day-3State-BIG%20Item%20Ride%202012/?action=view&current=255-04022012-TheRoadtoTheCRAGSVIC.mp4][/URL]

Coming into Port Fairy

At the start of The Great Ocean Road (GOR)

The Bay of Islands GOR

The Bay of Martyrs GOR

Traveling The Great Ocean Road

Some video of The Great Ocean Road ride with tourists chancing life and limb to spot Koalas
[URL=http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/AstroBOB411/8day-3State-BIG%20Item%20Ride%202012/?action=view&current=297-04022012-GreatOceanRoad.mp4][/URL]
Finishing the GOR

From here it was up through Geelong and onto Melbourne. I spotted these 3 Pelicans sitting on the side of the freeway so decided they would become another of the BIG items. The BIG Pelicans Geelong VIC

Arrived at my mates place on the outskirts of the city to enjoy a great night in with Hutch, his lovely wife Claudia and very cute daughter Audrey. Tomorrow I head for NSW South Coast.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Good stuff Bob,a solo trip ay--lovely--did you camp or pub room /cabin the trip thanks for sharing,where's the big cray from Kingston?:yesnod:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
You missed this.

And this.

And this.

But we both got this.

Did you get done on the speed camera they have hidden in the middle of nowhere near Koroit?

Keep the pics and report coming.

I really want to do my three state trip again, going clockwise next time though. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
WOW Bob, what a great portfolio of pictures on this trip...I'm awes-struck:jawdrop::jawdrop:

Just love the way you've got your bike set-up...you sure you couldn't fit anything else on the bike:green_lol: I'm sooo envious:yesnod:

Can't wait untill the next part of the portfolio...:thumbup:

Cheers

wobbly_boot

(Dave)

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Nice Harley :mrgreen:,hope you haven't Hi jacked Astros' pic of the cray :yesnod:
Na, Bob just photoshopped himself in to my pic I think. :fineprint:

You have seen the Harley in the flesh and met the rider, or don't you recognise either of them :confused:

I can't wait to see more of Bob's report. :hurray:

The urge for a looooooong road trip is soooooooo strong. :headbang:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The BIG Sights - 3 States Ride – Pt8

Day7 Sunday 5/2. – Melbourne VIC to Eden NSW (was going to be Bega but didn’t get away early enough).
Said my thanks and goodbyes to Hutch, Claudia and Audrey and headed through the city (stupid GPS) on my way to my 3rd and final Border Crossing.

Came across my next BIG item by surprise, saw it sitting off to the side of the road so with some heavy braking I managed to get a picture of The BIG Pheasant at Tynong VIC

Heading for NSW via....

Some of the nice road heading for the border

Here I am at my 3rd and last Border Crossing, so long Victoria and hello New South Wales

From here on to Eden NSW to the Motel for a good nights sleep after a few shots of the Eden shoreline

End of Day 7, final day tomorrow, the run up the coast and slightly inland for a few more BIG items and home.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Na, Bob just photoshopped himself in to my pic I think. :fineprint:

You have seen the Harley in the flesh and met the rider, or don't you recognise either of them :confused:

I can't wait to see more of Bob's report. :hurray:

The urge for a looooooong road trip is soooooooo strong. :headbang:
That scoot of Rods' is a fine bike,I prefer the clean dyna look rather than the fully dressed models--I am itching to load up as well for maybe 10 nights on the road,will have to check when the Wallaroo/lucky bay ferry is on the go again as I would like to do the Peninsula ie Coffin Bay--Streaky Bay--Ceduna and home via Adelaide GOR but there will be be no haste, I have heaps of leave and my next road trip will be smell the roses stuff,the 800k days are over.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The BIG Sights - 3 States Ride – Pt9 (Final Piece)

Day8 Monday 6/2. – Eden NSW to Central Coast NSW.

Left Eden and headed for Bega, looking for the BIG Cheese. Not at Bega, so took a photo of the WC at the Bega Cheese Factory. Why??? Because I was there.

But just a little further down the road....it came into view!
The BIG Cheese at Bodalla NSW

From here it was up to Maccas at Bateman's Bay for a coffee and lunch where I spotted another Strom. It belonged to an Austrian tourist who was taking 4-5mths to travel around Oz, he had been getting all the rain that I had missed, poor guy. Wish I was traveling with him though.

From there across to Goulburn for the next BIG item.
The BIG Merino at Goulburn NSW

From here to Robertson to take a picture of something that looked like it could have come out of the BIG Merino, but it's
The BIG Potato at Robertson NSW

Then up the M5, M7, M2 & F3 until I got to Somersby Australian Reptile Park for the final BIG item, The BIG Frill-Necked Lizard at Somersby NSW

From here it was a short trip down the hill to home and the wife and daughters.
I can now scratch this off the list. I'm sure there were many other BIG items I missed so there's now a challenge to others to complete the list.
Sorry about the quality of some of the pictures but must have had a direct hit bug strike on the camera lens at some point and I didn't realise until way later.
I thoroughly enjoyed every part of the trip and hope you do to.
The link below will take you to all the 350 something photos and videos of the trip if you're interested in seeing more.
8day-3State-BIG Item Ride 2012 pictures by AstroBOB411 - Photobucket
:cheers2:
BOB

1 - 20 of 39 Posts