StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 2714 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Synthetic will void your warranty !!!! Your dealer is nuts. Do not go back there, they live in an alternate universe.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've used both and have never noticed the difference. FWIW, I have never believed that the oil in the case has anything to with the shifting quality of the bike.
Maybe you have the most perfect gear box and could use olive oil and it would shift great or you have the most crappy gear box and shifting would be crappy even using liquid gold :)

TM

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Maybe you have the most perfect gear box and could use olive oil and it would shift great or you have the most crappy gear box and shifting would be crappy even using liquid gold :) TM
You could be right. :D In reality though, I've used several different oils and the bike shifts the same way from tthe get go. The shift quality, especially from 1st to 2nd seems to be more a product of the idiot wearing the size 13 boot making the shift. Somedays I clunk it, somedays it's smooth as butter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Big Feet

Funny you should say that Rubicon. I don't have dainty feet either. I use a couple different pairs of boots, depending on which ones I can find in the morning. Red Wings with pretty much flat bottoms: lousy shift. Double H harness boots with distinct heels that hang up on the footpegs: good shift! There might be something to your theory after all. Maybe the angle of the dangle (of the boots) makes some kind of subtle difference that only the gearbox gods are aware of. Or perhaps you jest. Call me crazy but I'm losing the Red Wings for a while . They're pretty ratty anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Whoops!

Meant that post to respond to WeThereYet's theory. Rubicon, I've tasted some olive oil that belonged in a gearbox. The only liquid gold I know of comes in a bottle in a blue box in a blue bag.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Get ready to hurl in your wheaties. I have the coolest oil combo by far. Amsoil 10-40 w/ 10% lucas synthetic oil stabilizer. Everybody flags me down as I'm riding and says, "hey! Is that amsoil 10-40 w/ 10% lucas oil stabilizer you have in your crankcase"? To which I reply, "hell yeah motherf'er" --then we high five and exchange pleasantries. If it's a female, we rent a motel room and function as creepy animals for 20 min. As she moans approval of the lucas fuel treatment that I also use in every tank.

Ha hah, awesome!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
relate oil to marine 2 cycle oil

I own a nice bass boat with the HPDI Yamaha 200 hp motor. You have to fill the 2 cycle reservoir with oil... you can buy Yamaha oil for a zillion $ per gallon, or other after-market oil for 1/2 a zillion $ per gallon, OR WalMart oil for $5-$6 a gallon. Sure, I want that motor to last forever (they cost $18k just for the motor, not kidding...) but if you look up the specs in regard to what meets the standards, WalMart oil is on the same list as the expensive stuff.

2 years later, with nothing but WalMart $5 oil, the motor is as new.

My diesel VW requires 505.01 spec oil or you WILL void the warranty, and that spec comes in several brands. Yes, I'd swear I can hear a difference in the engine tone/volume with Elf (for instance) vs. Castrol... but if I change it on time it makes no difference.

So... IMO, if the motorcycle oil meets manufacturers' spec, and you change it on time, it doesn't matter beyond personal preference.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I`ve used about any oil you can think of in my strom,but my last oil change tops them all.I had about 6k on the oil,went to do a change and dreaded a trip to get oil(had filter)so I looked around to see what I had in the way of leftovers.--1qt BP full syn 5w30+1/2qt BP 15w40 HD diesel+1/2qt Castrol 15w40 HD diesel+1qt(in can aprox 15yrs old)straight40wt.
Top that!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Why is everybody concerned about changing their oil? It must be OK stuff, because they put that in at the factory!!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I`ve used about any oil you can think of in my strom,but my last oil change tops them all.I had about 6k on the oil,went to do a change and dreaded a trip to get oil(had filter)so I looked around to see what I had in the way of leftovers.--1qt BP full syn 5w30+1/2qt BP 15w40 HD diesel+1/2qt Castrol 15w40 HD diesel+1qt(in can aprox 15yrs old)straight40wt.
Top that!
When I make popcorn I put Orville Redenbacker soybean oil in a cup, then add some real butter, then some margarine. Throw it in the microwave for 18 seconds and pour it on the popcorn. Why? Because the topping still tastes like pure butter but with far less saturated fat. I bet that's the result of your oil mixture also.:D

·
Registered
430 Posts
Why is everybody concerned about changing their oil? It must be OK stuff, because they put that in at the factory!!!!
My wife, when she was single and I didn't know her, bot a Renault auto new(her first car) and after driving it for 3 years a mechanic checked her oil one day. He said "when was the last time you changed the oil?" She said " I didn't know you had to change the oil". Therefore, I am the default manager of car maintenance at our house.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My wife, when she was single and I didn't know her, bot a Renault auto new(her first car) and after driving it for 3 years a mechanic checked her oil one day. He said "when was the last time you changed the oil?" She said " I didn't know you had to change the oil". Therefore, I am the default manager of car maintenance at our house.

LOL! Sorry man, but that is hilarious! BuckyD

·
Registered
338 Posts
What are you using? Synthetic? Suzuki? Mobile 1?

EDIT:FROM BIG B
Seems this is a very popular topic "on any moto forum".......so I am gonna merge and sticky this very fun and informative topic. Any more threads that are started about oil, will either be merged to here or deleted.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use the Suzuki Syn 10W-40, but that's just because I'm a brand whore. :)

21 - 40 of 2714 Posts