StromTrooper banner
3401 - 3420 of 3424 Posts

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
59 Posts
Researched the datasheet and no mention of JASO certification. It carries the latest API classifications though (SN/ILSAC GF-5). The pdf service manual I have doesn;t mention JASO. Is this critical? If it is, I'll just use that oil in my mower.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Researched the datasheet and no mention of JASO certification. It carries the latest API classifications though (SN/ILSAC GF-5). The pdf service manual I have doesn;t mention JASO. Is this critical? If it is, I'll just use that oil in my mower.
Yes, It's my understanding some of that non JASO rated oil can play havoc with your clutch pack

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
59 Posts
That's not what the manual says. It says two full turns after the point at which the gasket makes contact with the mounting surface.

Two full turns after snug would be very tight indeed.
Yes, I understood that but used the wrong terminology. Point is, 2 full turns after making contact is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
2016 DL650 bought used w/3600mi now 12000mi. 2004 Honda VTX1300 bought used w/1079mi now 90100mi.
374 Posts
Check you manual it will list the oil to use.. The SN rating may harm your clutch.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Yes, I understood that but used the wrong terminology. Point is, 2 full turns after making contact is ridiculous.
We must be interpreting it differently. It is not excessively tight when I do it that way. Just hand tight, definitely not muscled and certainly not ridiculous.

Doesn't matter; if yours aren't flying off, you're doing it right. (y)

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
59 Posts
I stopped at Auto Zone tonight and got some oil specifically for motorcycles. It's MA-2 rated and is non-syn. It also has the SN rating but, from what I've read, the higher the second letter, "N" in this case, the newer the rating and it surpasses the quality of all previous, i.e. S"F" or S"G". I think that's right anyway. In any case, I'm pretty sure I got some good stuff this time.

·
Registered
52 Posts

I have seen some oils that only say MA or MA2 and leave out the JASO part of the name. If it says MA or MA2 then it meets the JASO spec.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
For 650s / Wees, using full synthetic, motorcycle oil, what change intervals, are you guys using?

My bike is at 13,000 miles. If I put high-quality, full-synthetic, oil in it, today, can I, safely, change it, next, at 20,000 miles?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
For 650s / Wees, using full synthetic, motorcycle oil, what change intervals, are you guys using?

My bike is at 13,000 miles. If I put high-quality, full-synthetic, oil in it, today, can I, safely, change it, next, at 20,000 miles?
You can try that but it’s best to work your way there with oil analysis. I change my synthetic at 6,500 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,003 Posts

I can't tell you what you should do but I would have no issue with it on any of my Stroms.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Thanks, guys, for commenting. I think it's safe, enough.

:)

·
Premium Member
2013 Wee-Strom
226 Posts
Paranoid here I reckon. Back in day, I changed the oil in my air cooled thumpers every ride or two. I'd never go more than 3k miles on any vehicle with any oil. The moment you start using oil, it's starts breaking down and acquiring particulates. New oil > used oil. I'm probably overdoing it and that's my way.

·
Premium Member
2016 DL650 bought used w/3600mi now 12000mi. 2004 Honda VTX1300 bought used w/1079mi now 90100mi.
374 Posts
Paranoid here I reckon. Back in day, I changed the oil in my air cooled thumpers every ride or two. I'd never go more than 3k miles on any vehicle with any oil. The moment you start using oil, it's starts breaking down and acquiring particulates. New oil > used oil. I'm probably overdoing it and that's my way.
Paranoid maybe, you should look into getting an oil analysis.

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
59 Posts
600 mile oil/filter change. DONE. Took the plastic guard off and thereafter felt like I was working on my truck. Used the HF138 and Valvoline 10W40 Motorcycle Oil.

Some Notes: The OEM oil filter came off easily with a strap wrench - it did NOT feel like something that was tightened 2 full turns past contact.

When installing the new filter, I did note how far I could get past contact with just my hands. About 3/4 turn. I admit, I did put the strap wrench back on and tightened a little until it was exactly one full turn past contact. Maybe with the OEM filter you could go two turns, but I'll never know. There is no way possible you could go a full 2 turns with the HiFlo filter without damaging the filter or threads. I wouldn't even try it on a worst enemy's bike.

Thanks for the help and great info in the thread.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
The Suzuki filter has a much thicker rubber gasket than typical car filters. The two turns can be done BY HAND.

The virtues of synthetic oils are well discussed on this thread.

JASO is a standard test protocol for oils used with wet clutches. MA and MA2 are the designations. Just because an oil is not MA or MA2, doesn’t mean it WILL HARM your clutch, only that it COULD. What will cause clutch issues in most bikes is using an oil marked energy conserving (these are typically 10W-30 and lighter oils). Cars oils 10W-40 and thicker typically are not energy conserving.

If you want great protection for the money spent, use Mobil 1 synthetic or Rotella T6 oils and Suzuki oil filters.

·
Premium Member
2013 Wee-Strom
226 Posts
Can someone verify something for me?

It's drain plug, then the washer, then the crankcase right? No other washers.

The reason I ask is I found an aluminum washer, uncrushed but with tightening marks, in my old oil.

3401 - 3420 of 3424 Posts