StromTrooper banner
3381 - 3400 of 3424 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
For a Dodge, that might be good. Not a Dodge man. A Toyota isn’t even broken in at that mileage.
It would take me 15 years to get to 400k, like a new truck once in a while;)

Reactions: STCorndog

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
@oldjeep

It’s part of my job. I am a licensed engineer in several states. My company runs me all over the place. I can have a lease vehicle or get reimbursed mileage. I buy Toyotas for work and make good money on the mileage. Some years as much as 40,000 miles a year.

My baby, a 2001 4Runner is sitting in the garage with 101,000 miles. It only gets used for hunting and pulling my boat. I’m not into new vehicles.

·
Administrator
15,003 Posts

BTW - what oil type is Porsche factory filling with these days?

😉
Porsche has had Synthetic oil standard from the factory since 1993. (Not sure about before that.) Oil changes were at 24,000 km / 15,000 miles or yearly. They went to 2 year / 30,000 km in 2005 (I believe it was) and backed down to yearly or 15,000 km in 2007 in North America after discovering oil here was getting quite dirty from outdated gas additive standards. (I believe in Europe they still do 2 year/30,000 km oil changes.)

@locoblanco

What’s your typical mileage. I keep my Toyotas, that I drive for work, to at least 250,000 miles. Several have gone over 400,000 miles. No rebuilds, no upper cylinder work. All sold running.

I have used only Mobil 1 synthetic oils in everything. That’s my data point.
I am a very strong believer in Synthetic oil. My point wasn't to say anything bad about synthetic oil just that your experience only using Mobil 1 doesn't prove Mobile one is the reason the engine lasted that long. It may very well be but your experience doesn't prove it. Maybe every other Toyota with any other oil would last the same mileage if you were driving it.

..Tom

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I got a 2021 Tundra brand new in November 2020. I got the dealer oil change deal. The manual says 10,000 miles between changes but the dealer says to do them at 5,000 if I want the engine to last.(5.7 V-8). Toyota oil is claimed to be Mobil 1 synthetic but who knows.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I got 200K out of an early Twin Cam 88 running Mobil1 20w50. People talk crap about HD but every mile on that odometer was mine. The internals was original except for the Andrews cam, Hyd tensioner upgrade, and stator/regulator. It's still running somewhere down in Louisiana with around 300K on it. I think my meticulous maintenance and Mobil1 had everything to do with its longevity. My suburban went to 300k with Valvoline instant oil changes, the normal petro-based motor oil changed every 3000 miles. I think mobil1 is a superior oil to all others but that's my non-scientific opinion. It's all my Chili Beast gets every 3000 miles and the big honking V4 seems to love it. My buddy ran a courier service with a Tacoma, he got 750k out of it before he sold it, all highway miles oil changed weekly with the Valvoline cheap stuff. I think clean oil does more than brand or type, but they both contribute. Buying the best oil and keeping it clean is the best you can do for longevity.

·
Registered
172 Posts
is that consumption, or loss, overspray into the breather, if you check the air filter compartment i find oil in there... sometimes a lot, but engine has 19k and is tight
Turns out it was oil leaking coming out through wire loom area(left leg side) It's replaced since and that reduce the oil loss

·
Registered
806 Posts
Rotella T6. Are y'all running 5w40 or is there a 15w40? I've read about shearing in the transmission, so which is better?

Looking for multi-bike use.
DR650
DL650
Honda CB500X (Honda recommends 10w30)
Yamaha V-Star 1100
Yamaha XT225

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
57 Posts
I've read a substantial portion of this giant thread, and I think I've decided my new Vstrom will get either Mobil 1 10W40 (NO syn) or Rotella 10W40 (NO syn). I've also decided I am NOT going to turn my filter in 2 full turns after stop. It just sounds flaky to me. So many cars and trucks over the years, all oil/filter maintenance done by me, and I can;t figure two full turns. I understand bikes are different, but what the heck is so pressurized that it needs that level of tightness?

Where am I wrong?
Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
I always tighten oil filters until they're snug, then a tiny bit more. Never had one loosen, never had much trouble taking them off. Two full turns after tight seems silly to me.

And FWIW, on my 2021 DL650, I used Rotella t4 15W40 mineral oil for the first and second oil changes, at 900Kms, and 2,500Kms respectively. And today, at 5,000 kms, I used Rotella t6 5W40 synthetic and plan to stick with that from here on out. This has been my method for all my hikes for about 20 years.

And, always used HiFlo filters as they have never given me any problems.

·
Premium Member
2013 Wee-Strom
226 Posts
Got this filter and oil coming, along with 12mm copper washers. I get the oil for $8.95 no tax or shipping through Exchange.

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
57 Posts
I have an oil / filter change coming up (600 mi service) (maybe it's just oil) so a couple of three days ago I ordered a HiFlo HF138 and a 5qt jug of Castrol 10W40 on Amazon. Filter was $8.15 and the jug of Castrol was $22 rounded up. That's about $4 and change per quart. After this I might just use what the truck uses - Rotella 15W40 NoSyn (yet). Or maybe stick with the Castrol for awhile.

3381 - 3400 of 3424 Posts