StromTrooper banner

3061 - 3076 of 3076 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki DL 650 Adventure
83 Posts
Mmmm... I just put 20w50 Valvoline Jaso MA conventional in the bike and took her for a nice ride. I love this oil in this bike. All butt dyno analysis, but it's the nicest oil I've run in this low rpm torque beast. Improved shifting, engine noise, low rpm confidence (don't ask me to explain that one.. the bike just feels better at low rpms on this oil). Now if you were a 5k-8k rpm rider, you might want something thinner 😏

I rarely find myself over 4k rpms unless it's deliberate. If I'm just riding, this bike loves 3-4k rpms all day in almost any scenario.

Old school dinosaurs for the win and let The Big Oil Thread flaming begin! 😁
I have been running 20w50w Castrol oil for years no problems, changed to 10w-50w Castrol oil for my 2013 DL650.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Trying Rotella T4 in my K9 wee for the first time. Rode 100 miles and all seems good. @$2/qt I can't go wrong

Relax and have a homebrew

Autocorrect is my new enema

·
Administrator
18,284 Posts
I've switched to Belray EXP 10W40 ester blend, so far the transmission really likes it. :)

·
Administrator
18,284 Posts
Did you transmission happen to tell you what he/she really likes about the Belray. Did the pistons, rings, bearings chime in?
Shifts great like the Motul did, has about the same mechanical noise as the Motul did, was a tad bit cheaper than the Motul.....was at the Iron Pony and figured might as well give it a try. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Excuse my ignorance here, but what’s the advantage of a heavier viscosity oil? Why is a 20w50 favored on this forum over say a 10W30? If the engine is running optimally at 100-110 degrees wouldn’t a thicker oil just be harder to push around the engine and be less efficient overall? So many people talk about sitting in traffic during 95 degree F days but the engine doesn’t give a damn about the outside air temp. The engine has a very specific temperature range no matter how or where you ride. I’m not speaking about cold rated viscosity here as obviously cold startup is a separate matter. But wouldn’t a 5w30 lubricate just as well as a xxW50 while riding?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
The manufacturer calls for a 10W40 so that’s what I use. Even in Las Vegas it seems to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
The manufacturer calls for a 10W40 so that’s what I use. Even in Las Vegas it seems to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is good advice. Manufacturers design engine clearances like connecting rod bearings for a specific oil viscosity to give the best oil film thickness. Thicker may not be better.

Modern cars are going with lighter oils every year.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
And cars don't share the oil with the gearbox 😁
That's true. But my tractor uses hydraulic oil in the transmission/PTO and automatic transmissions in cars use ATF. Both pretty low viscosity.

Syrup thick gear oils are not as common as they once were.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have a '13 Wee and changed my oil with Castrol GTX 10W-40 and a Wix filter from O'Reilly Auto Parts around 500 miles ago. Shifts fine and the oil has a nice honey color to it.

I just love that I can go to the plain old auto parts store to do maintenance on this bike. It reminds me of owning my old '79 Toyota pickup, just bulletproof.

3061 - 3076 of 3076 Posts