StromTrooper banner
3021 - 3040 of 3253 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Is anyone here aware of any modern clutch issues using an energy-conserving oil with friction modifiers? I know what they say will happen, but what actually does happen?
I had the same thing happen as @slovcan did. My dirt bike, granted clutches get abused in the woods, started slipping soon after using some quality car oil. 10W-30 if I recall. I tried the oil change route and my clutch still slipped.

I pulled the clutch and the fiber disks had glazed. I roughed them up with sand paper and reinstalled them figuring a new clutch was on the horizon. I don't believe I ever had to fix it again though......

Some car oils are OK but are not marked MA. The "energy-conserving" part is what to avoid.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I would venture to say that cheap oil has a greater chance of creating damage than cheap tires
Cheap tires can cause body damage ;) Cheap oil that meets the mfg specs doesn't cause damage.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Riddle me this Rotella fans. New Holland, diesel tractor test mule. 2800 hours.

When I run Rotella Synthetic the tractor smokes a smidge under heavy loads (like when I let the clutch out at first, or engage the PTO) than it does with Mobil 1. The tractor consumes minimal oil, but obvioulsy burns more Rotella than Mobil 1. Rotella gets dirty quicker too.

I have switched back and forth several times because I can't find Mobil 1 as easily as Rotella in the diesel oil version.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts

When I run Rotella Synthetic the tractor smokes a smidge under heavy loads (like when I let the clutch out at first, or engage the PTO) than it does with Mobil 1. The tractor consumes minimal oil, but obvioulsy burns more Rotella than Mobil 1. Rotella gets dirty quicker too.

I have switched back and forth several times because I can't find Mobil 1 as easily as Rotella in the diesel oil version.
I'll bite - which Rotella synthetic and weight? (T6/T6 Multi/T5 Ultra/T5 blend) And which Mobil 1 and weight?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
@oldjeep, I used to run the tractor of Pennzoil HD 10W-40 diesel oil (conventional).

For what it is worth, The T-6 is much better and very close to the Delvac. In my tractor I will use Rotella and sleep well. But, I don't love my tractor like I do my Tenere.

Well, I do, but it is a different kind of love.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
@oldjeep, I used to run the tractor of Pennzoil HD 10W-40 diesel oil (conventional).

For what it is worth, The T-6 is much better and very close to the Delvac. In my tractor I will use Rotella and sleep well. But, I don't love my tractor like I do my Tenere.

Well, I do, but it is a different kind of love.
Did some googling and it seems like some folks report more blow by with the Rotella than the Mobil 1. It was a Duramax forum, but the same oils you listed.

·
Premium Member
18,963 Posts
Also interested in the results

I've been running 300V on both bikes for a couple years. The only exception I've encountered in my research of this oil is that it should not be mistaken for a traditional synthetic (an oxymoron is there ever was one): as it is formulated for endurance racing, it tends to break down more quickly than the aforementioned traditional synthetic. While I might press my luck and push a Mobile synthetic product (for example) up around 5k mi between oil changes, I never let the 300V stay longer than 4k mi ... or less. Worth the extra price IMHO
Damnit how stupid of me......I run the 7100 ester not the 300V, and yes you are correct about what you said concerning 300V. There is a discussion on the Tracer forum about 300V, and I obviously had that Motul oil model incorrectly in my brain. LOL

·
Administrator
14,468 Posts
Are there mfg specs on tires?
I believe the tires have to meet load and speed ratings.

110/80R19 (59V)
150/70R17 (69V)

If I'm not mistaken the last numbers are load ratings and the letter is a speed rating.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
2016 DL650 bought used w/3600mi now 11000mi. 2004 Honda VTX1300 bought used w/1079mi now 90100mi.
292 Posts
Big B said:
I'll do some oil analysis with my Motul 300V......all I know is the engine and tranny sure seems to like it. It honestly wasn't much more than Mobil 1 4T, plus I got it delivered right to my door. :)
AZ-Stromer said:
Post the results of the analyses?
Also interested in the results
Damnit how stupid of me......I run the 7100 ester not the 300V.
Big B
Do you have the oil analysis results of the 7100 ester to post?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts

How does Rotella get "dirty quicker" too. Do you me it goes from light to dark color faster? If so this is not that its gotten dirty faster some oils get dark (oxidize) faster than others. Also oil color is no indication of how clean or dirty the oil is or where its at in its lifespan. Only an oil analysis can tell us that.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Damnit how stupid of me......I run the 7100 ester not the 300V, and yes you are correct about what you said concerning 300V. There is a discussion on the Tracer forum about 300V, and I obviously had that Motul oil model incorrectly in my brain. LOL
"its formulated for endurance racing so it breaks down quicker". There's your oxymoron.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
How does Rotella get "dirty quicker" too. Do you me it goes from light to dark color faster? If so this is not that its gotten dirty faster some oils get dark (oxidize) faster than others. Also oil color is no indication of how clean or dirty the oil is or where its at in its lifespan. Only an oil analysis can tell us that.
I normally keep a little gatorade bottle full of Rotella under the seat of each bike. One of them has been sitting on my work bench all winter long, and it is darker than the way it looks coming fresh out of the Rotella bottle.

3021 - 3040 of 3253 Posts