StromTrooper banner

2841 - 2860 of 2862 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,228 Posts
That works. It's a motorcycle-appropriate oil, and less expensive than the Suzuki-branded oil.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Should last longer in any vehicle. Synthetic better resists the shearing etc. vs mineral oil. I'll get a sample of my Rotella analyzed after my next change and post the results
I would be interested in comparing the results. Are you not adding oil on a regular basics to your V-Strom?

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,228 Posts
I did add oil recently, and the amount I had to add to get back between the "L" and "H" lines seemed excessive. I'm keeping a close eye on that sight glass for any more funny business.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I would be interested in comparing the results. Are you not adding oil on a regular basics to your V-Strom?

I'm trying to imagine why I would spend more money for an oil analysis than an oil change costs me?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I'm trying to imagine why I would spend more money for an oil analysis than an oil change costs me?
I can tell you why I did a few oil analyses. Because I use the same OEM filter and the same Mobil 1 synthetic oil for every change. I wanted to know how long I can extend the OCI on my bike. It will easily go 7,500 miles OCI. I do not look for sales when purchasing my oil and filters.

The newer Toyotas I own are treated the same (quality filters and synthetics) and they go 15,000 miles OCI.

I extended the OCI on my diesel tractor also from 100 hours to 150 hours.

I am not into doubling my maintenance chores when there is a better (much better) way to do it.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,228 Posts
Exactly. Don't want to pay for a UOA? Fine, then don't.

For the rest of us, a used oil analysis is worth doing now and then. The only way to know what's in your used oil is to find out.

Without that, you're flying blind. That's fine. You won't hurt your engine by following formulaic oil change intervals.

For me, one UOA every other change or so is worthwhile to track any trends. Also, if anything is in the used oil that absolutely should not be there - like coolant - I want to know.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Yep that's why I do it. The cost argument amuses me. We chose the wrong hobby if any of us are interested in doing anything on the cheap!
The cost argument is - why not just change the oil rather than doing the analysis and changing the oil. Maybe I'm just lucky, I put on 175-200K on my daily drivers by just doing the recommended maint with the recommended oil. If you ever get coolant in your oil it is very obvious. For the bikes changing the oil every month - 3 months at 4K intervals is not a big deal in terms of time or money. I buy gallons of oil by the case when the rebates are out and stock up on oil filters (Wix) when there is a sale.. Rotella as a choice for me is not really a cost decision, it is because its a good oil.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,339 Posts
The number one most important thing is to have ( enough) oil in the engine. The rest really doesn't matter a lot.

..Tom
THIS ^^^^

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
The cost argument is - why not just change the oil rather than doing the analysis and changing the oil. Maybe I'm just lucky, I put on 175-200K on my daily drivers by just doing the recommended maint with the recommended oil. If you ever get coolant in your oil it is very obvious. For the bikes changing the oil every month - 3 months at 4K intervals is not a big deal in terms of time or money. I buy gallons of oil by the case when the rebates are out and stock up on oil filters (Wix) when there is a sale.. Rotella as a choice for me is not really a cost decision, it is because its a good oil.
So the idea that you could be draining perfectly good oil. Has no bearing in this? Some people are concerned about excess waste some are not. You can do what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,228 Posts
So the idea that you could be draining perfectly good oil. Has no bearing in this? Some people are concerned about excess waste some are not. You can do what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right? Some people are still getting their car's oil changed at 3000 miles, probably.

UOA certainly isn't "necessary." But neither is it a frivolity. It is simply a way to know more about what your engine is and isn't doing, and some of us like that.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
... why not just change the oil rather than doing the analysis and changing the oil.
Well, actually you're going to be doing both. You have to drain the oil before you send it in, and unless you are waiting for that oil to be returned so you can re-install it, you're going to be putting new oil in.

Personally, I don't do it, because I'm not really that interested in the results, but I can understand some are curious to see the percentages of various materials in the oil. Over time it will give you an idea as to the rate of wear inside the engine. It may only be helpful to racers and not the average rider, but then again, I'll bet the majority of people who have purchased an expensive factory shop manual are never going to measure ring end gap or valve spring tension, so why have a book that is filled with such useless information?

(I change oil much too frequently, out of boredom. There isn't much else I need to do to this bike. )

·
Administrator
13,558 Posts
It all gets recycled and turned into the pavement I drive on. I'm ok with that ;)
It's also used for much more than asphalt.

..Tom

2841 - 2860 of 2862 Posts