StromTrooper banner

2821 - 2840 of 2865 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Just wondering in general, if someone has it, why not use it. It's handy, and better than trying to balance the bike while bending down or kneeling to see the window.

·
Administrator
13,569 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^If your asking that of me, I would answer it takes more lifting than I am willing to exert to just safely check my oil. A feat I might add I have done successfully many times.
For the most part there should be very little lifting to get our bikes on the centerstand. Just put your weight down on the part of the centerstand that sticks out and leverage does should do most of the work.

..Tom

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
For the most part there should be very little lifting to get our bikes on the centerstand. Just put your weight down on the part of the centerstand that sticks out and leverage does should do most of the work.

..Tom
Not with a Tenere....my strom almost jumped up on the center stand. The strom fights you a little more. I am participating in a pointless discussion though, since I even checked the oil on my DL this way too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does anyone own an inspection mirror and an on-line bubble level? I'm anal so I put my feet down and I put the line level on my gas cap and lean left or right to level the bike. Then I extend the inspection mirror to see the sight glass. Easy Peasy

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Does anyone own an inspection mirror and an on-line bubble level? I'm anal so I put my feet down and I put the line level on my gas cap and lean left or right to level the bike. Then I extend the inspection mirror to see the sight glass. Easy Peasy
Wow, what about the parallax?

·
Administrator
13,569 Posts
Not with a Tenere....my strom almost jumped up on the center stand. The strom fights you a little more. I am participating in a pointless discussion though, since I even checked the oil on my DL this way too.
I'm a bit confused as to what you wrote about bikes on the centerstand. I suspect the wrong bike name slipped in at different parts.

Can you please clarify?

..Tom

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
I expect he meant the Tenere isn't so easy to get up on the center stand.

I find that it helps immensely to have the front wheel straight when getting the Vee up. Still need a fairly sturdy shoe to stand on the foot lever. With flip flops it feels like it's going to push through. I've been keeping one of my worn out riding boots in the garage for this.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I'm a bit confused as to what you wrote about bikes on the centerstand. I suspect the wrong bike name slipped in at different parts.

Can you please clarify?

..Tom
What DesertBike said. I put strom in the last reference by mistake. The Tenere fights you more, I think the pivot location on the center stand is not in the best spot.

·
Administrator
13,569 Posts
Attached is a picture of the oil level page on the 2020 DL1050. It isn't saying to check the oil on the sidestand, just to let it warm up for three minutes on the sidestand. It just means warm it up, let is sit for three minutes (for the oil to drain back) and then it says to check the oil when the bike is vertical. The side-stand reference has nothing to do with the oil level.

..Tom
1591984302829.png

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
Interesting, they brought back nearly the exact phrasing I have in my 2007 manual.

I never found it the slightest bit ambiguous, but that's just me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm picking up my '15 650 Friday, which needs an oil change. This thread just confused me. Will this work well? It seems to be the stock kit, but is synthetic, which I didn't think the 650 used. If I shouldn't use this, suggestion?

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I'm picking up my '15 650 Friday, which needs an oil change. This thread just confused me. Will this work well? It seems to be the stock kit, but is synthetic, which I didn't think the 650 used. If I shouldn't use this, suggestion?
Seems pretty expensive for 3 quarts and a filter. Also - does your bike only hold 3 quarts? That kit isn't labeled for a 650 vstrom

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
Using synthetic where not specified will not hurt anything - it just means you can run the oil longer, as it lasts longer than conventional.

However, that kit isn't a very good deal. It's not quite enough oil, and a little expensive per quart.

You get about 2800 mL of oil, which is short of the 2900 mL I would need for a full change on my DL1000. I don't know what the volume is for the 2015 DL650, but it's marked on the crankcase near the oil sight glass. Better to have extra oil on hand, than not quite enough.

A new crush washer isn't really necessary.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
Should last longer in any vehicle. Synthetic better resists the shearing etc. vs mineral oil. I'll get a sample of my Rotella analyzed after my next change and post the results

·
Registered
55 Posts
Seems pretty expensive for 3 quarts and a filter. Also - does your bike only hold 3 quarts? That kit isn't labeled for a 650 vstrom
The box does list the V-Strom 650 and indicates its Suzuki OEM kit. The 650 does hold just under 3 Qts. What would you suggest as an alternative, so I have something to compare with?

Edit, Amazon has this kit as well... same price. It also lists the V-Strom 650 on the box.

·
Administrator
17,101 Posts
Rotella isn't a true synthetic.......but hey that's another can of worms. ;)

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,252 Posts
If you aren't ready to take the Rotella plunge, then 4 quarts of Valvoline 4-stroke 10w40 and an aftermarket filter from AutoZone or similar.

You'll spend a few dollars less than that kit, but get more oil.

Also, you can dispose of your used oil and filter at the store.

2821 - 2840 of 2865 Posts