StromTrooper banner

2741 - 2760 of 2760 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I run Amsoil as well but wouldn't be afraid of running Rotella. It has the same ratings so it's good.
So far my 65,000 mile FZ1 is happy with it - it was all the previous owner ever used. My 43K Vstrom has only been using Rotella for the last 2 oil changes - previous owner liked paying a lot for Royal Purple.

·
Administrator
13,366 Posts
Back when I started riding Stroms in 2006 Rotella T6 5w40 was recommended by many people. The main justification was that, being an oil aimed at commercial diesel engines in big rigs, it had very high shear esistance. This made it very good for bikes where the transmission shares the engine oil and the oil needs to be have decent resistance to shearing. It wasn't even rated for motorcycles with people that seemed to know about these things saying that was only because Rotella didn't bother to get it certified for it and it would pass if tested.

All I can say from personal experience is that of the total mileage of 330,000 miles / 562,000 km I have put on the three Strom's I have owned most has been with the Rotella 5w40 and I have never had any reason to be concerned about oil. I did run some 20w50 for a stint and also didn't see any point in doing it again.

I don't know about all the testing stuff but can see if I had a fleet of transport trucks there would be good reason to run it on engines that routinely run 1,000,000 miles. (When mentioned people seem to say the Rotella does well but I really wonder why people even bother to check.)

Make sure there's oil in the engine and ride!

..Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went with Maxima's Premium 4, the price was good, the same as the Shell and convenient to my doorstep from the Zon . so far so good, only been 1000 miles. I ran Rotella in both my TLS1000 and my SV 1000- zero issues so I'm a fan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back when I started riding Stroms in 2006 Rotella T6 5w40 was recommended by many people.
Yep, used it in my old FZ1 from 55,000mi (when I bought it) to when I sold at 90+k miles (hard to be exact, since the odo screen melted by then). Never had a problem, never went back to Mobil 1.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
There is a rider supply place that has gone under near me and the stock is being auctioned. There is a lot of Motul products there. I see some 10w40 non synthetic and some synthetic as well as coolant and gear oli. I probably won't put it in the Vstrom as it is und3er warranty and I'll need a receipt in my back pocket jus in case, but for other stuff, is Motul very well regarded for bike oil?

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
dont worry about the warranty, the oil meets all the standards. it's what the dealership put in mine for its first service.
OK, thanks. I just figure I won't have much in the way of receipts buying this stuff at auction, so if i win the bids, I will put it in the Yamaha.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ran Motul 7100 in my previous bike from day one until I sold it with 60k miles. Certainly made for quite pricey oil changes but the bike ran great with it. Would it have it run any worse with say Castrol 4T 10w40? Probably not but I'm a little OCD with stuff like that. Once I start with one oil I like to stick with it. My 18 Vee is getting the Castrol treatment from day one and she's been happy with it thus far. I'll report back after 60k miles. 😃

·
Registered
131 Posts
Is there any oil out there that actually has a bad rating? What I mean is.....has anybody ever run oil and said " i only got 30k miles out of my bike". I always said, unless you're looking at extreme conditions, any oil with the correct ratings for your application will be fine. It's when you get into heavy and extreme conditions where some of higher end oil may hold up longer and protect better.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Is there any oil out there that actually has a bad rating? What I mean is.....has anybody ever run oil and said " i only got 30k miles out of my bike". I always said, unless you're looking at extreme conditions, any oil with the correct ratings for your application will be fine. It's when you get into heavy and extreme conditions where some of higher end oil may hold up longer and protect better.
I've been a big proponent for reading the back of the oil container to see what the API/ACEA classifications/rating are vs basing my choice from the buzz words on the front of the container like Motorcycle, V-Twin, Diesel, Marine, Rototiller, Hit & Miss etc.

I run Mobile1 synthetic in several of my bikes because it meets or exceeds the API./ACEA rating called for my the manufacturer. Its $23 for a 5L jug and routinely has a $10 or $12 rebate. I could spend double or triple but its doubtful I'd get more protection or longevity.

·
Administrator
5,347 Posts
While on Mobil 1 and no oil is a bad oil theme, can I do a thread hijack and ask the assembled about my Jeep for a less costly oil. It has a Mercedes Benz 3.0 diesel OM642 engine fitted.

Jeep says: "use only SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Engine Oil that meets Chrysler Material Standard MS-11106 or Mercedes Benz MB 229.51 and ACEA C3 qualified engine oils that are suitable for use with diesel particulate filters" and ends recommending Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 which for me comes in at $170 for the 10 liters required for an oil change. There are other brands down to $130 for 10 liters but is is the "suitable for diesel particulate filters" requirement that keeps me on the more expensive oils.
BTW I use the 5W-40 version as summer temps are consistently into the mid 30 degrees C. - and occasionally into the 40's.

So just how vital is it to use the top shelf oils?

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
As long as it meets or exceeds the API/ACEA rating go for what ever oil you can find in the right grade. These are 3rd party tests so the testing agency could care less about who manufacturer the oil only how it performs and rate it accordingly. In theory all oil that meet ACEA C3 standards function the same. Some may perform at and above that standard but that's icing on the cake.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,917 Posts
Unfortunately, it looks like Shell has changed the Rotella rebate program so it is no longer as useful. For the current rebate period (1 March 2020-31 October 2020), you can only get the rebate if you purchased Rotella at certain "farm" stores.

Amazon and auto parts chains are not on the list. Neither is Tractor Supply Company, which is hard to understand. Aren't they the ultimate "farm" store?

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,917 Posts
I wanted to post a full list of Rotella-rebate-eligible retailers, but I haven't found anywhere I can cut and paste it from. Maybe someone else can do that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use the factory oil and filter from Suzuki dealer and I change my oil every 2000 miles. Hasn't failed me yet:cool:

2741 - 2760 of 2760 Posts