StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm getting similar quotes for the veak or the f800 only difference is the cases come with the veak adv and the 800 doesn't but im not sure i would keep the original cases for long on the veak any way.

so really im looking for a bit of input to help me decide.

i currently own 07 vee

·
Registered
646 Posts
I really like the F800gs Adventure, and I believe this is the bike (and Tiger 800xc) the V2 should have been compared to not those that are 1200cc. I just like the idea of Suzuki making the engine for their bike instead of farming the engine from someone else and shoving a BMW badge on it, along with the price tag...... Good luck with your decision, don't envy you.
Having said that I went for a ride on the Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X DCT today, loved it, auto is the way forward for me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I really like the F800gs Adventure, and I believe this is the bike (and Tiger 800xc) the V2 should have been compared to not those that are 1200cc. I just like the idea of Suzuki making the engine for their bike instead of farming the engine from someone else and shoving a BMW badge on it, along with the price tag...... Good luck with your decision, don't envy you.

Having said that I went for a ride on the Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X DCT today, loved it, auto is the way forward for me. :thumbup:

The reason the 1000 is put against the 1200 is they are the bigger engine option, just like the 650 and 800/700 and single cylinder 650 get put together. Same reason the newer Hondas, cb500x and 700 whatever (can't think of the name), with the cb put against the 650 more often than the 700. Is it right? Well it is in someone's eyes. ;).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
F800GS adventure MSRP is $16,420 and the DL1000 Adventure is MSRP $12,999 up here in Canada.

I don't see how these compare at all.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes right now my total difference between the quotes i got is about 2k out the door with the veak ADV being the cheaper one.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
BMW spells buy more warranty......

nuff said.

·
Registered
463 Posts
yes right now my total difference between the quotes i got is about 2k out the door with the veak ADV being the cheaper one.
well if that's the case, I'd go veak hands down. I thought you said they were close? :confused: That doesn't make any sense though, MSRP, the BMW is actually cheaper.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well if that's the case, I'd go veak hands down. I thought you said they were close? :confused: That doesn't make any sense though, MSRP, the BMW is actually cheaper.

yes they were close $800 dollars but then the guys in suzuki dropped the price by a lot :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also although the msrp says 13999 they told me the sell it for 12,596

and they gave me an extra discount on top of that

i am getting the bike with aluminium skid plate heated grip, mirror extenders for 13176.44 + tax & tags

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a chance to ride both the BMW F800 GS and Tiger 800XC during a two week tour of Ecuador. We were on all types of roads, Tarmac, gravel, dirt and mud but didn't do any single track. Rode in the Andes up to 15,000' and down to Amazon and Pacific Coast. BMW was better off tarmac, it was buzzy on highway at speed. BMW seems to have an ability to make simple things complicated with we discovered during minor repairs on the road. Triumph was best on tarmac, didn't like at all off road as was top heavy. Top heaviness sometimes came as a schlock just when righting the bike up from side stand. Both bikes had ability to turn off ABS which was nice but a bit more complicated on Triumph (if I remember correctly). Both bikes settings menus seemed to be more complicated than need be. If I had to pick between BMW and Triumph I would pick the BMW. I however have just purchased a Khaki V Strom and had it fitted with Heidenau K60 Scout tires. Better price tag, dealer/service access and probable long term reliability/maintenance (see recent Consumers Report regarding motorcycles). V Strom 1000 feels a lot like the BMW, but NO buzziness on highway, and hoping will be similar off road with new tires. Will wait until SW Motech has skid plate and engine guards before testing off road seriously.
Very happy with new bike and think it will perform as well if not better than the BMW.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry the accidentally quoted me a regular DL the ADV they are offering with the mods not including tax and tags for $14,316

·
Registered
50 Posts
OK, with that Suzuki price change then it's back to being close to the BMW again it seems.

In that case, I'd say if you're gonna do a decent amount off road, the BMW is the choice. Otherwise Vee2.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they are asking me for the f800 gsa with the luxury package (center stand,heated grip,larger wind shield and case mounts but no cases)and endro package(traction cantrol & abs mods for dirt or road ) for 14k but you have to add to that all their fees.
and they are giving only 3k for my vee (with tons of after market prices includind alu-box 45L side cases and a givi top case).
after calculation final number is that in suzuki i'll end up paying 2000-2200 cheaper.
iam going with the vee2.
they made it a no brainer (the guys in BMW just werent working with me).

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would not buy an adventure bike with tubed tires. If you are buying a bike that is 800+ cc, you are obviously planning major street riding. BMW has the spoked/tubless wheels so why not put them on the F800GS? I don't get it. :confused:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Last I knew that GS 800 has been plagued with issues and has been known as a bike to stay away from.
Agreed. A friend has the F800ST (same power train) and has had numerous issues with it, including that fact that the typical BMW dealer does not seem to know much about them either. CANBUS electrical can be troublesome.

·
Registered
50 Posts
BMW

Before you buy a BMW, go on the forums and find out what the issues are with the bike, and there will be issues since it is a BMW!!! BMW does insufficient engineering in my opinion. I recently got interested in a BMW 800GT and then found out they have a rider heat issue, can burn your inner thighs. Turned me off quick.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Alon, I was able to test ride a Demo V2 at mineola Suzuki if that helps you any. I also like the 800xc but can't get a spin on one. I am going to purchase the V2 based on that test ride and the fact that I won't be going too far off road anyway, maybe a fire road or two if I'm lucky.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts