StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK – so I opened the 1000 vs 650 - the definitive thread. 58 pages. As usual, there were many interesting thoughts from the collective here.

I'm sure the OP in that thread has long since purchased his bike and all of us here hope he found the best bike for him. Here’s another mostly humble opinion anyway - FWIW.

Advice on bike purchase choice can be a good thing but only YOU (YOUR preferences – what you like – what you don’t) can decide what is BEST for you. Best for 10 different riders can be found in the assortment of 10 different bikes parked outside. Arguments start NOW!

I own a 1 year old 2019 DL 650. Mileage is climbing regularly. PLEASE, don’t tell anyone but I LUST after the new 1050. POWER, suspension, brakes, electronics, the whole juicy enchilada AND the tall, frosted mug. 🍺 DAMN!!! Forget the huge $ loss I would suffer on a trade, this is a bike I would LOVE. I know it! Probably. I’m pretty sure.

Parked in my garage is my red Wee. Every time I walk by it, it beckons. Seriously, it does! Gear on, key in, seated, in first, clutch in, motor running I AM SMILING. Clutch out and we are rolling. Down the driveway and I’m still in first - savoring why I love to ride. Did I mention I AM SMILING EAR TO EAR.

OK – we can’t really love a machine (can we??) but I am HAPPY. No – wait – I am happy when a book I ordered arrives. THIS is DIFFERENT. MUCH DIFFERENT. I am H-A-P-P-Y!!!!!! This simple, so commonly underrated machine speaks to me like no other bike I have ever owned. I’ll skip and spare you the very long list of all the things a Wee will do and do so competently and comfortably – no excuses – no complaints - 2 up - tarmac - dirt - grocery getter - cross country.

The Wee is my anti-lust bike. Eventually – as an older rider – I’ll have to climb down from that tall saddle. But NOT TODAY OR TOMORROW, THAT’S FOR DAMN SURE. What’s a 1050??? (just kidding.)

Cheers everyone.

·
Registered
408 Posts
"As an older rider I'll have to climb down from that tall saddle"

How old can you be before you got to climb down from that tall saddle ? I am 75 and have no plans to send my 05 Wee away. If anything I am thinking maybe I can get another 10 years of riding in.

If I have learned anything in life (and the jury is still out on that). It would be, don't be in a hurry to quit.

When my Wee is idling down the driveway I am in love again.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am a 7 year 2012/2014 DL1000 owner. I sold my 2014 late last year for a medical reason that was affecting my eye sight. I thought I wouldn't be riding again. Those issues were fixed within 3 weeks of selling my bike. What I was experiencing were not typical symptoms of a 97% blockage of the right carotid artery. Once that was discovered it was luckily fixed right away. I am now 66 and bike shopping. I'm seriously considering getting a DL650.

I love the power of the 1000, but I really need to be more careful, and that power on tap, tempts me too frequently. I believe, with the 650, I would still have just as much fun, but I would have to intentionally pursue it and not just slightly twist my wrist. The front brakes are really good on the 1000 and I think I would want to put a 4 piston upgrade on a DL650. Suspension adjustability is nice, but once you set it correctly you don't need much. Pretty much I would need to adjust the suspension a little to suit me on any bike. The 1000 was pretty good for me.and the 2014 seat was fine also. I had to replace the seat on the 2012. I'm guessing I will want a taller seat on the 650.

Right now you can pick up a new 2019 DL650 for $6999. I can't justify the price difference for the 1050. Remember the 1050 isn't any bigger then the 1000, they both have the same size engine.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I only keep a bike for a couple years at a time, too many bikes I want to ride and life is too short. I don't have space for a fleet (5 is enough haha) so I buy, ride for a couple years, and sell before I get attached. I have owned probably 30 two wheeled motor driven vehicles at this point,and I'm only 41. I loved them all, and I regret selling every one, but I only have one smile, one butt, one life, so buy, ride like hell, sell, repeat.

·
Registered
735 Posts
That being said, this summer will be my third year on the Vee, it ticks a lot of boxes, it may end up being a permanent addition to my stable, along with my father's Guzzi, and the Vespa I have owned for 20 years now. Funny coincidence that all three of those are broken right now!

I gotta sell my SV and my Kawasaki A1 this year. Maybe sell those two and the strom and buy an Africa Twin or T7. Or keep the strom and get a WR20R. Too many bikes, too little time!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Buy what you like. I don't understand the appeal of the wee, the 1000 has barely enough HP for a bike that big. However they sell a lot of them.
It sounds like you are saying that they sell a lot of the dl1000's. No, they sell a lot more 650's.

Motorcycles are not to be understood anyway. Most of the people I know don't understand why anyone would ride a motorcycle rather than drive a car.

Most people would not understand that you are only truly alive when you are doing something you love.
motorcycle riding is something that some people love and don't apologize for.

If you are a power freak, what are you doing on the 'Strom site? Nobody told you about the mighty 4 cylinder bikes?

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's called NBF. New Bike Fever. It can strike anyone at any time. Shiny new bikes look great on the show room floor. New owner's rave about all the goodness of their freshly purchased bikes. A few years later you can read about the bikes again and see how they held up. Sometimes NBF goes away, sometimes it doesn't. If you really have to have that KTM, put the Wee up for sale at a price you need to have and see what happens. If it sells, maybe it's meant to be. Take a big sip of the orange koolaid and go for it. Just remember, the only engineers in more denial than Germans are Austrians. o_O

Getting off the Wee and onto my Super Tenere and I'm reminded quickly how much better the brakes on on the Super Ten, and the power, etc. But the Wee still takes me places and is less weight, easier to just throw a leg over and go. Sometimes that's a nice change of pace. Not enough power is sort of relative to how you ride and what you use the bike for. I have a ton of fun on my 150cc scooter and it's way easier to hop on and run to the store or do a quick errand on. I have a standing order in at the local Honda dealer for (2) CT125s when they become available. The wife is excited to step off her GSA and onto the little CT125 and do some 'slow adventuring'.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
N
It sounds like you are saying that they sell a lot of the dl1000's. No, they sell a lot more 650's.

Motorcycles are not to be understood anyway. Most of the people I know don't understand why anyone would ride a motorcycle rather than drive a car.

Most people would not understand that you are only truly alive when you are doing something you love.
motorcycle riding is something that some people love and don't apologize for.

If you are a power freak, what are you doing on the 'Strom site? Nobody told you about the mighty 4 cylinder bikes?

Cheers

RLBranson
No, I'm saying they sell a lot of 650's

As for being a power freak - I've got an FZ1 - which is why I say that the 1000 in my vstrom is a bit weak in terms of both torque and HP. It is super comfortable though. It is a tractor not a sports car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I was 30 with a HP and torque mentality I would have preferred the 1000. Now, at 73, my Wee meets all my spirited riding requirements. Is the Wee fast? Maybe not. Fast enough for this rider? Yes. IMNSHO, riding a Wee exceeds the sum of its parts. YMMV.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Very few people will ride the 650 beyond it's limits, doubly so for the 1000. If most riders are being honest they probably can't ride at the limits of a 250. I have the 1000, but I sure drool over the mileage and range of the 650, if I had the 650 I'd drool over the power of the 1000. Both are horrible in certain ways compared to other bikes.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
It sounds like you are saying that they sell a lot of the dl1000's. No, they sell a lot more 650's...
I don't think that is true after the release of the Gen 2 1000. I remember reading somewhere that the sales numbers are pretty close now, (North America sales).

The 1000 is the better bike though 😎

·
Registered
201 Posts
73yo ex-road racer with a 2017 Wee. Traded in my R1150RT against it. Brought a smile to my face when I took it out for a 40 mile test drive. Started out in the TX Hill country twisties and finished on an 80mph 20 mile slab run on I-10. SOLD!!
Improved it with a fork brace and EBC HH pads and farkled it up for my needs.
After 3500 miles I dont miss the RT and, as Rolls Royce used to say, I discovered that the DL650 has "sufficient" power😉.
SWMBO also loves the "little bike" and finds it comfortable.
Not missing h.p. or torques 👍

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Riding on slab or long rolling hills the power of the DL650 was fine. Get into some tight technical mountain twisties you had the wring the 650's neck continually up and down shifting. I much rather prefer the hp and torque my current bike has to offer. Get into the mountains click it in 3rd and ride.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While Asheville NC ain't the Himalaya's (<spelling?) we do have roads that climb around here. Riding above droning speeds, my Wee has a 16 front and 4th & 5th handle all that with ease - all at relaxed RPM's. Just sayin'......

Indisputable proof of why the 650 is the better bike. 😎

1 - 20 of 34 Posts