StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
In a lot of ways the writer nailed it. I am now 72 and have been riding since I was 15. Like the writer I didn't want to be the last guy and worked hard to become a proficient street rider. I didn't race, and unless I have to, I don't normally ride dirt. The upside is that I can still ride and enjoy life with my friends which includes a bunch of guys like me and a bunch of fast young guys. We all know where we are going and I will catch up to them at the planned stop. And just like the writer there have been medical delays to riding and right now only one more month until I can drive again after slipping in my garage and banging my head up. Life is still good.

Mike

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
972 Posts
Yep, include me in that bracket too. I am in my 71'st year but I was a late starter at age 20 on the road. I was also a late starter offroad in my late 20's. Still doing both and still able to ride at a respectable rate albeit leaning towards lighter bikes. Sure I have slowed but I have no problem with that for as long as I am not holding anyone up. I tend not to get myself into anything offroad nowadays where I might need digging out of. I still value my independance and would hate to be a burden on other folks. So far so good.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Recently, two of my ride group have hung up their spurs and, this past week, one had a bad crash in a practice for an AHRMA race in Daytona. 78, 80 and 75 years old respectively.
I will be 75 in July and still enjoy riding both with SWMBO as pillion and also a "brisk ride" with my wing man "Brother John", aged 76.
John and I are both ex-road racers are thusly sympatico and comfortable and relaxed at speed. More importantly, we have nothing to prove and at our advanced age, having a wing man with you on a ride is, IMHO, essential. My interstate riding is past which was one reason I sold my BMW RT.
I also don't enjoy large group rides any more and worrying about other group ride members. A ride for a breakfast, lunch or an overnight destination is preferable to just meandering around. Perhaps time has simply become more precious at my age.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
74 here riding since I was 17. My current 2015 CB300F is very similar in weight and power to my first bike Honda 305 Superhawk,
I stopped riding aggressively a while back as my kid got better and I got lazy.
The law enforcement here keeps speeds way low but the roads are perfect so I can enjoy everyday. Hoping for a CB EV before I quit. I enjoy being out taking photos and my biggest plus for riding is listening to Audio books so I'm really mellow. Having 60 mph hard limit for speed means quieter rides and less annoying tailgaters.
I gave up on group rides long ago ...two people with SENAs is a treat tho and very different than solo jaunts.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Good article. I started very early and in the dirt too. I raced when I was younger, but quickly grew out of it as my work career developed. I went from dirt to dual sports to street bikes. At around 50, I took a step back toward "off-road" and got into ADV bikes.

Like an idiot, I have always ridden a little too hard and suffered for it along the way. The ADV bikes taught me to slow down and smell the roses. I now only lead the pack when I am the one who knows where we are going. I am content to be a mid-packer.

Now at 60, I am following my angel instead of trying to outrun her. Hopefully for many more years to come.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'll be 48 in may this year and I'm already up there with you guys. I got most of my more "spirited" (looking back at how dumb it was and the chances I was taken is ridiculous) riding out of the way in my teen and early 20's. Luckily never any crashes back then because it probably would've been pretty horrific. Had a close call with a dog running out in front of me which I hit and jumped, killed the dog but never laid the bike down, with the family (who I was friends with) in the front yard watching including their 4yo daughter. Fast forward to 35yo and I finally laid the bike down in a curve. I wasn't doing anything stupid, I was going about 40mph on a paved road and in the curve they had cut a new road in that connected to this road. There was a bunch of loose gravel, my back end kicked out, I got it straightened back out but I was to close to the ditch line at that point and it pulled me down in it and kicked me off, landed shoulder first onto the pavement. Luckily I had all the gear on, so no big deal but I'm pretty sure I cracked or broke something in my shoulder because it was not real easy to use for about 9 months. Probably should've gone to the doctor or hospital but I'm all good now so no worries.
Once I got into my 40's I've been riding well within my means, not in a hurry, just enjoying the ride and scenery while trying to keep an eye on everyone else who may be trying to kill me out there. I would consider myself average to maybe a little slower rider than most, I mostly ride by myself except for when I meet my buddy in Tennessee every year, I don't like riding in front because I feel like I'm slowing people down and don't want to be pushed. I'll stay in the back and get there when I get there and still be enjoying the ride. I'm also the guy who doesn't like people standing or sitting behind me, don't like having my back to people in general. Bill Hickok was like that also except for one time.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,480 Posts
I was reading along thinking this is a well written piece that typifies many of our life-long experiences and then see this. Wholly cow! Uh uh. No. Don't do that.
I don't recommend this one either:

Titanium implants kinda sound cool in the abstract, but, nah, not really.

·
Vendor
6,287 Posts
Too late. Got titanium in my foot and Kevlar in my shoulder. It's the kind of thing you want to collect like a hobby so you brag about how much of a human cyborg hybrid you have become. That should probably be its own thread. And an award at gatherings like performance awards and who rode the farthest to get there.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I'm glad there's a bunch of old guys still excited about riding, even in the dirt.

Sometimes, I can see myself on a bike again, and at other times, the thought doesn't do much for me. At a minimum, it tells me that if I ever get another bike, it's going to be an older, bargain special.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,480 Posts
Too late. Got titanium in my foot and Kevlar in my shoulder. It's the kind of thing you want to collect like a hobby so you brag about how much of a human cyborg hybrid you have become. That should probably be its own thread. And an award at gatherings like performance awards and who rode the farthest to get there.
I like to say that I now have an advanced composite skeleton.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I grew up riding dirt bikes in the desert. Raced for awhile. Gradually transitioned to road bikes.

I was always aggressive in the dirt. Not so much on the road but looking back probably took some chances I shouldn't have.

Now I concentrate on being smooth not fast. Smooth to me means good technique, not rushing corner entries, nice accel on the exits, etc.

I read The Pace many years ago and that's pretty much how I ride on the street. Heading into retirement in a few months and hope I've got 20 years of riding left in me!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The original article just mirrors life with bikes for many of us. I think it’s one of those things that gets under your skin and becomes part of you. I don’t remember being particularly interested in bikes until I was about sixteen when some of my mates started to take an interest. They had a beat up old Honda C90 field bike that everybody had crashed or fallen off. We used to rag it round a bit of waste ground mercilessly until the police would turn up and chase us away for a bit. It gave me the biking bug big time but my parents weren’t keen on me having a bike at all. So being a stubborn teenager I worked whatever crappy part time jobs I could find and bought a second hand pre-crashed RD125 Yamaha. There was no rider training back then in the UK (late seventies) so when I turned seventeen I wobbled of down the road on the little Yam at the stroke of midnight and it was the most brilliant feeling of my short life. I learned as I went along with my mates that had all got bikes around the same time, getting faster and learning from some of the older guys. Six months in and there was only two states for me and my bike, stopped or flat out everywhere, then the crashes started. Small ones at first but being young and indestructible I shrugged them off as part of learning. Then I bought and RD250 and went faster still, then totalled it in a monumental crash and wrote the bike off and should have died that day but my guardian angel must have intervened and I got away with hardly a scratch. Something clicked that day and I realised my luck would run out if I kept going the way I was. I started hanging out more with some of the older riders and racers at our local bike club and learned from them, so I could go faster but safer and it must have worked. I got faster, much faster but stopped the crashing. Looking back I was probably a menace on the roads at that time, I would have raced anybody and anything on the road and had a bunch of mates that were like minded. Surprisingly we have all survived into our sixties and are still riding, all be it some of us have slowed down more than others. While I gave up racing on the road and trying to be the fastest guy a while back I’ve still not completely grown up even though I’m in my mid sixties now. I can still get a shift on and have no worries of holding many people up but I’m much more chilled now and enjoy a slow ride into the mountains enjoying the scenery just as much. My love affair with bikes has given me so much joy over the years and I still get a huge buzz every time I pull my helmet on and press the starter button. It wouldn’t matter what kind of bike it was it would still make me smile, here’s hoping I’ve got a good few years left in me yet🙂

·
Registered
30 Posts
@doonhamer
Paragraphs are our friends!
Just saying 😁
If I’ve offended your literary sensibilities with my poor writing and non use of paragraphs my friend please accept my apologies 🙂 However as Marmora pointed out I was on a bit of a roll last night helped along with a few drams of a very pleasant malt, so paragraphs etc were not foremost In my mind😂

Bottle Drinkware Liquid Table Bottle stopper & saver

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
If I’ve offended your literary sensibilities with my poor writing and non use of paragraphs my friend please accept my apologies...
Nothing like that.

One big blob o' text is kind of hard to stay interested in reading, to me anyway.

You probably had some good comments in there somewhere. 🤓

1 - 20 of 42 Posts