StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what y'all think about the adventure model and if the 3 accessories are worth the price. I'm picking one up next week for $9199 plus title 7 Doc fee of $270. This is a price difference of $1300 of what I could get the standard model for.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
It's black, and a savings over putting the parts together.

Suzuki is showing 5 year zero percent financing now? That's pretty hard to beat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Priced...

I checked out the alternatives and the Adventure cost less with the Suzuki accessories than the aftermarket ones. Just picked mine up five days ago. What you don't get for the price is a skid plate (the Suzuki offered unit is a piece of plastic window dressing), the center stand, or the hand guards. With the skid, the stand and the guards it was just a hair under 13 with the extended Suzuki warranty (I have heard online complaints about Suzuki warranty coverage). That included having a pulse unit for the headlight installed. All said I really love the bike so far. Last things to do will be LED turns signals and brake light. So I'm at about $13,100 for the bike that has and does everything I want.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I checked out the alternatives and the Adventure cost less with the Suzuki accessories than the aftermarket ones. Just picked mine up five days ago. What you don't get for the price is a skid plate (the Suzuki offered unit is a piece of plastic window dressing), the center stand, or the hand guards. With the skid, the stand and the guards it was just a hair under 13 with the extended Suzuki warranty (I have heard online complaints about Suzuki warranty coverage). That included having a pulse unit for the headlight installed. All said I really love the bike so far. Last things to do will be LED turns signals and brake light. So I'm at about $13,100 for the bike that has and does everything I want.
Did you get the Adventure 650 or Adventure 1000?? :jawdrop:
I thought Tennessee had a high sales tax. :yesnod:

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
$1,300 is quite a difference IMO. It might be close to aftermarket prices if you choose that brand of luggage. But if you went with say, Happy Trails or some of the Pelican or Givi luggage, I think you are wasting some cash. So it depends what you want.

While my hard luggage set-up is not really comparable to the stuff on the Adventure model, mine cost me $270. And zero interest or not, you are still paying for it. If you save $600 or $700, that buys quite a few assorted farkles.

·
Registered
711 Posts
In Canada, the packaging and pricing is different than the US and imo the Suzuki EXP model is worth the extra $1800. over the base as it includes approx. an extra $2600. in accessories. We also get the choice of three colours for the EXP. Included are 3 aluminum cases (top box included), vario windshield, lower plastic under cowling, engine guards and hand guards. Mine is finally at the dealership and I will be picking it up tomorrow (there was a delay due to the aluminum cases availability) and checking the VIN, it is 300 units beyond the brake switch recall so I guess I won't get that white dot.
Also remember that these prices are negotiable and I was able to negotiate over a $1000. discount on this model.
Ken

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
In Canada, the packaging and pricing is different than the US and imo the Suzuki EXP model is worth the extra $1800. over the base as it includes approx. an extra $2600. in accessories. We also get the choice of three colours for the EXP. Included are 3 aluminum cases (top box included), vario windshield, lower plastic under cowling, engine guards and hand guards. Mine is finally at the dealership and I will be picking it up tomorrow (there was a delay due to the aluminum cases availability) and checking the VIN, it is 300 units beyond the brake switch recall so I guess I won't get that white dot.
Also remember that these prices are negotiable and I was able to negotiate over a $1000. discount on this model.
Ken
I would take some consolation in the fact that the price is negotiable, but you can get aluminum cases with the racks for about $600 in the states (Correction, not the top box). Not the same ones mind you, but still good quality. But if you really had to pay an extra $2,600, I think you can get all that for less, unless you are buying the most expensive aftermarket luggage. JMO

Edit, I just saw you said $1,800, not $2,600

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think that you got a good deal! I live in Canada, and our prices are not as good. I paid $10199, for the Touring package (same price as adventure package, just better luggage and no other accessories). I will also spill out an additional $450 for crash bars and a skid plate eventually. Bottom line for price, I would say that you got a good deal that is definately worth the money!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would be very interested in the Canadian Adventure package for $1,800 +/-, that's a nice package.

But the US ADV package has me a bit unexcited...the bags look a bit boxy for the Strom styling (although they are sharp!) and the engine guards look kind of weak. The windshield is the most appealing part of that package, but there's lot's of aftermarket options.

I guess if you really wanted the black, that would be a consideration....

I think it's silly that they call it a different "model", they should have just offered different option package levels and let the dealers install them as needed, that way everyone could get whatever color they wanted with or without the various options.

It sounds like that's the way they are offering them in the Great White North.

Hmm, how far is Quebec?

·
Registered
173 Posts
For me it was a matter of color. The adventure was only available in black and I saw the orange in person and had to have it. I decided to buy it instead. Since I have added the trax boxes and carriers. I decided to wait on the crash bars and I found the shield to be fine. So I added the hand guards and heated grips and came out pretty close to the price of the adventure. Looking at Alt Rider skid plate and crash bars. If I could have gotten the ADV model in Orange I probably would have.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Not sure what Oregon title 7 doc fee entails, but usually it is just a way for the stealership to pad their profit. documentation fees are negotiable, and if the prospective buyer threatens to walk out, they'll be absorbed into overhead as they should be.

In the past, an extended warranty on Stroms hasn't usually been justified due to the bike's great reliability. Suzuki has an outfit called Cornerstone United handle the extended service contract (these legally not a warranty). if one really wants this peace of mind insurance, they are usually available cheaper on the Internet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input. I feel good about my choice and the price I'm paying for it. I went back and forth on the reg vs. adv and wound up going with the adv for the color and that the accessories would be covered for the 0% financing... I like the trax boxes. Now I can use the cash I've got to add on other stuff, like additional lighting, skidplate, a throttle lock, barkbusters, heated grips headlight and taillight modulators.
Ride safe!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Stock Bike versus EXP Model

Ken
The dealer had an EXP in white and I wanted Orange, so I chose to go with the stock bike, $9,300 OTD (includes 12% tax in BC) and added SW Motech Racks $250, Trax 37L side boxes, $355 each + misc adapters & Locks $32, Trax Top Box $365, Mounting plate $120 etc. OEM Hand Guards $60, SW Motech Engine Guards $198. So I,m about $1,940 with taxes, and the stock windshield is fine for me. I also added SW Motech Center Stand and Skid Plate, and Oxford heated grips.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The dealer had an EXP in white and I wanted Orange, so I chose to go with the stock bike, $9,300 OTD (includes 12% tax in BC) and added SW Motech Racks $250, Trax 37L side boxes, $355 each + misc adapters & Locks $32, Trax Top Box $365, Mounting plate $120 etc. OEM Hand Guards $60, SW Motech Engine Guards $198. So I,m about $1,940 with taxes, and the stock windshield is fine for me. I also added SW Motech Center Stand and Skid Plate, and Oxford heated grips.
That sounds pretty good...not that crazy about the plastic undercowling on the EXP model...looks pretty good and probably offers only a small amount of protection. Really like the orange colour, otherwise black would have been my second choice. Hope to get out to the West Coast in 2013...have relatives in Hinton Alberta, and near Vancouver....

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think it depends on what the dealer asks for it. I was shopping locally in Clarksville TN and my local dealer wanted $11k for the Adventure model OTD. Another dealer about an hour away is selling me a base for $9k OTD.

With the difference I can buy the bags I want, center stand and crash bars. $2k for bags, accessory bar and a laminar lip is pricey. All in all I think a 1000 to 1200 premium is fair over the base, but no way $2k.

Of course ymmv.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts