StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it happened again yesterday. It’s happened at least a dozen times since I’ve had the bike. It could be a family friend or a stranger at the hardware store. It goes something like this: “Nice looking bike!” “Thanks, I like it a lot.” “How big is it?” “It’s pretty big, look at it.” (A little bit of smart-ass here because by now I know where this is headed). “No, I mean how many CCs??” “Oh, the engine? It’s a 650.” “Oh…..hmm…that’s it, huh?”

At this point it should be clear to me that the offending individual knows little to nothing about motorcycles. And I know the comments shouldn’t bother me but for some reason this still rubs me wrong. Early on I would respond by trying to “justify” the bike by describing some of its many positive aspects. I even have fallen to the level of trying to tell people how “fast” it is. Well I haven’t met too many motorcycles that aren’t “fast” – at least with respect to cars. Now, having been beaten down over the last couple of months, I usually just grudgingly agree…..”Yup, that’s it.”

I can only guess that this mentality was born of the displacement wars of the 70’s and 80’s. And it has clearly stuck. I think from now on when someone asks about the V’s engine displacement I’m going to tell them it’s a 1900 and see what happens. That should out-do most current production bikes, right? If they bite on that I’ll continue with how it’s essentially the same design as my 1975 Open Manta, fuel injected and all. I’m just going to keep it to myself that I’m actually a big woos driving a large frame mini-bike.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Don't sweat it; people say things when they have no basis for their comments. Even when they should know better, they still say stupid stuff. E.g.: a guy I used to ride with could never figure out why his 1690cc Harley couldn't keep up with my "little" 1000cc Suzuki motor.

·
Registered
471 Posts
650 Turbo,,,,,,don't get in the way, I might not be able to slow it down,,,,,:mrgreen:

·
Registered
438 Posts
It's a 650' It's pushin' about 70hp.

That's enough to make them think, " Well, that's gotta be good. Why else would he have told me hp?"

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, I'm picking up my little bitty fox orange 650 tomorrow. This will be my fourth V-Strom (03 1000, 04 650 and 07 650ABS). I gave the 1000 to one son and the 04 to the other son after putting significant miles on them. Now this one goes in the stable with a big ol FJR1300 and Yamaha Super Tenere 1200, but the Glee should be right at home. I could care less what anyone thinks unless they know something about bikes. If they do, they know the DL650s are like swiss army knives, Rolex watches etc.

JDP

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Get the wife's hair dryer and remove the "650" stickers.

Then tell them the engine size is classified as it is a race test engine.

Tell them it can outrun a Porche with ease.

That should shut them up.

Or just say "fast enough to die in 3.7 seconds".

Best of all, just ignore what they say and enjoy the fact that you have a bike that is more reliable and more fun than most other bikes on the market at the moment.

Hell, my Wee is as quick as my previous BMW R1150GS and it wasn't slow by most standards. :thumbup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great reply ideas! I'll be using some of these. Honestly it's all good - I've owned several bikes and this one is the best all-around so far. Best forum too. Maybe the thread should be "creative reply ideas to people with displacement envy".

·
Registered
598 Posts
Guys often ask me how large is the engine in my Vee. Just to be smartass I casually say "it's a literbike". They don't understand, yet they don't ask me to clarify.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Just tell them that it's 64 horsepower.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I actually had a guy at work (who has been drooling all over my bike all week) ask me if it is hard to keep the front end down. He rides a harley but is scared of powerful sport bikes and thought mine was a true "crotch rocket". A term I hate BTW. He likes it more knowing it is only a 650. I think he wants a fast bike but is afraid of what his Harley buddies will say.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
When it comes to bikes that I like and ride, I could care less what anybody thinks....especially pirates.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If 650 cc sounds "too small", try a different unit. For example, 650 cc = 1,055 ds (dashes). If that sounds like an implausibly big number, go with 879 Imperial dashes!

"It's an 880."
"Really, 880 cc?"
"No, 880 dashes Imperial. Ha ha, do the math!" (They'll think you're being sarcastic, no, you're just being very accurate :thumbup:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I actually had a guy at work (who has been drooling all over my bike all week) ask me if it is hard to keep the front end down. He rides a harley but is scared of powerful sport bikes and thought mine was a true "crotch rocket". A term I hate BTW. He likes it more knowing it is only a 650. I think he wants a fast bike but is afraid of what his Harley buddies will say.
Riding a V-strom is like sleepin' with a fat chick......

......It's great fun, but only till yer Harley buddies find out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts