StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after reading too many posts (my eyes hurt) i'm trying to figure out how so many riders are capable of dealing with the buffeting from that stock windshield? It seems like a lot of people still use it.

what am i missing here? I'm 5'11" (which seems average) and just got hit so hard I had no choice but to change the shield to get comfortable.

Is my bike off or do all of these fine folks enjoy riding while getting hit by that much wind?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Everybody has a different height, riding position, helmet shape, seat, tolerance for buffetting, etc. For me, the stock windshield in the lowest position is fine. If I raise it, I get some buffetting. In cool weather I prefer a givi windshield with a madstad.

·
Registered
15,403 Posts
Uh-oh here it goes again.
MRA Vario was good for a skinny 5'7". Broke it and am using stocker with noticeably more buffeting but not so bad that I'd overly complain about it. When I get an extra 150 bucks, I'll get a MRA vario again.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not asking about replacements, I wondering how anyone my height is able to stand the buffeting !

·
Registered
672 Posts
On long days on long (up to 10 day) trips on my wifes wee, I would get a hot spot on my forehead after a few hours. It was very uncomfortable and would not go away till I was through riding for the day. I just had to ride through it. I fixed it, but that as was stated how I fixed it is not the purpose of this thread.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
im not asking about replacements, I wondering how anyone my height is able to stand the buffeting !
I'm 5-11 as well. What buffeting?

Now can we please put this into the wind and buffeting thread where it belongs?

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Windshield on a shelf after 1 day of playing including another set of holes to lower it even further.

Yes there is a pea under my mattress but with a full face helmet I don't care.

Additionally with NO windshield your upper body can surf the air to reduce fatigue

If you have a good helmet and ear plugs remove it and be happy

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The main problem with this topic is that the word "buffeting" means different things to different people. It's obvious that many who use the term buffeting are just referring to the normal air stream that hits the rider when you ride a motorcycle. That's not what buffeting means to me. I'm not saying my definition is correct, just that my idea of what it means is clearly different than what others mean.

It's hard to describe, but when you have what I consider buffeting, you definitely know it. Others here will be able to describe it better in scientific terms, but it's a condition created when the air stream hits the rider in a certain way as to cause a regular pattern of alternating high and low pressure which can cause a thumping on the top of the helmet and/or a side to side head/helmet rattling (like your head is on the tail of a rattlesnake) which is intolerable.

For many riders, that condition does not present itself with the stock windshield. They get "normal" air flow (not necessarily perfectly clean or free of any turbulence), but they don't experience what I consider to be the classic buffeting condition.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is this right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the buffeting on the VEE and WEE due to wind flowing upward along the front of the body and then hitting the head...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Madstad stad and Straighter bars that lean you a little forward works fine for me.
I think those Mack truck mirrors that they put on the bike are more of the problem.
Lean forward a little changes everything, if that does not work remove the mirrors.
2004 Wee, SW moteck center stand, Mastad windshield mount, Suzuki gel seat, Tusk hand guards, Superbrace fork stabilizer, Raceteck springs & valves, Aprilla mirrors, Givi rack & bags E36&E21, Pellican top case, Renthal Fat Bars, Rox risers, Stainless steel break lines, engine guards, Skid plate alu.

·
Registered
167 Posts
every person /helmet/bike combo will be different, I have an 02 with the none adjustable windshield,,,,, it was nasty and would rattle my face shield at untolerable levels, I added my own "lip'" type extension to the top, made from an old face shield upside down,, it's just 3 inches higher at the top and is rounded down to the sides,,,, now my face is in a bubble of clean air,, I made it to suit me, I can ride with shield open and it's good too. experiment and find what works for you .

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I cruise with a stock shield at the highest setting and it works just fine. I'm 5'10" if that matters. I don't get any wind in places I wouldn't expect it to get to while riding anyways. Plus it was a huge improvement over my HD Sportster!!

My .02

·
Registered
105 Posts
I actually have somewhat of the opposite problem.

Bought my '05 Wee used, and it came with a Givi windscreen. Buffeting is not generally an issue for me. What has actually become an issue, particularly in the cooler weather, is that I actually don't get *enough* wind hitting the front of my helmet!

What I mean is, even with my helmet vents open, I almost always have to keep my visor cracked open a bit, or either it or my glasses fog up. Never had this issue with the Ninja 250R or 650R before, but they both had much lower windscreens of course. I'm probably going to drop my windscreen down to the lowest setting and see how that does, as the fogging issue can be quite bothersome, as is the additional noise caused by keeping my visor open.

That said, I'll probably be looking for one of these MadStad brackets everyone keeps mentioning. Sounds like a good solution.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I've set my stock shield one notch higher than foreseen by Suzuki (by using both bolts in the lower holes).

It's been nothing but nirvana since.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the buffeting on the VEE and WEE due to wind flowing upward along the front of the body and then hitting the head...
I wouldn't say THE buffeting, but the majority of it, yeah - for me anyway.
Manage the wind from below first, then play with the windshield, if needed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am 172cm (5' 8'').
Yes the buffering is bad on my L0 DL1000 with the standard windscreen.
I define buffering as varying windflow around the helmet that causes both noise and repeated head movement leading to fatigue.

When someone says it is fine I wonder whether they are;
a. 4' 6''
or
b. whether I can get some of what they are smoking

I replaced the std screen with a Pecot short screen in the second week I had the bike

Note that I had none of these problems when riding my naked SV1000 at 200 kph

1 - 20 of 24 Posts