StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it supposed to tell you anyway? What time frame? Only while it's being reset or what?

The guys that were reporting early on that they were getting 68mpg HAD to be pure bunk, but when I was getting 36mpg readings for tank after tank on a Nova Scotia run, it just didn't make sense after I started doing the math in my head. I'm actually getting around 45-50mpg as I always have when I keep it at 110kph (70mph) or under.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Comparing fills and GPS tracked km's, I found the readout to be decently accurate within 0.3 L/100 km.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I was getting 36mpg readings for tank after tank on a Nova Scotia run, it just didn't make sense after I started doing the math in my head.
It probably reverted to metric when you were in Nova Scotia.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You get readouts on trip 1 and trip 2. It resets when you reset the trip meter. I find I get about 3mpg more from odo and pump calculations than from the readout.

·
Administrator
13,552 Posts
I have never believed the mileage that most people here have said they get. I suspect most don't know how to figure out their mileage, are fluffing the truth a bit or are riding incredibly slowly most of the time although I can see getting it on occasion.

Over 202,400 km or 125,787 miles my 2006 averaged 5.14 liters per 100 km, which is 54.8 Imperial MPG or 45.65 US mpg. My best mileage over three tanks was 4.15 l/100 km which is 67.99 mpg imperial or 56.61 mpg US

Over 32,628 km or 20,274 miles my 2012 has averaged 4.57 l/100 km or 61.6 mpg imperial or 51.3 mpg US. My best mileage over three tanks was 3.77 l/100 km which is 74.85 mpg imperial or 62.33 mpg US

..Tom

·
38,048 Posts
I've gotten a little over 300 miles on a tank twice and each time put in 5 US gallons +/- 0.1 gallon. I know how to figure mileage. If I wasn't getting an actual 60+ miles per US gallon on those two occasions, I would have run out the 5.2 gallon tank.

·
Administrator
13,552 Posts
I've gotten a little over 300 miles on a tank twice and each time put in 5 US gallons +/- 0.1 gallon. I know how to figure mileage. If I wasn't getting an actual 60+ miles per US gallon on those two occasions, I would have run out the 5.2 gallon tank.
I'll admit I tend to ride harder than most. I also have no problem believing that you got that kind of mileage as my three-tank highest was more than 60mpg US and would have yielded tanks over 300 miles.

I do find that overall my fuel mileage reading is 94% of the actual mileage (pessimistic.. the actual mileage is better) and this is pretty consistant.

..Tom

·
Registered
342 Posts
I find my mileage based on "trip meter odo reading divided by difference in fuel between complete refills" is generally higher by at least 3 and as much as 5 mpg than what's given on the trip computer. Then again I know my trip computer is not very accurate as to how much fuel is left in the tank, as my fuel warning lights come on sooner than they're really supposed to - filling up just as the last bar starts blinking, the last stage of empty, usually sees me putting in about 4 to 4.2 gallons out of a tank that's supposed to be 5.3 gallons in size.

As for odo-based mileage, I suspect there's variation based on the shutoff valve at different pumps, and possibly due to elevation. Earlier this summer I went on a road trip from NYC to Boston to the White Mountains (Kancamaugus Highway) in NH to Montreal and back. I filled up at a local gas station before I left, and these were the mileage readings and locations of my subsequent fuel stops. Most of the time I was in freely moving traffic, going about 70-75 MPH on the speedo, with me as a ~200 lb. rider and about 20 lbs. in gear and luggage with me and a Large CalSci windshield:

Providence, RI - after 182.5 miles, filled with 2.75 gallons
Portland, ME - 165.2 miles, filled with 3.12 gallons
Swanton, VT - 241.6 miles, 4.1 gallons
Chestertown, NY - 228 miles, 4.3 gallons
Briarcliff Manor, NY - 211.9 miles, 4.2 gallons
(Then another 40-ish miles to get home)

Odo based average for my trip: 1029.2 miles over 5 refueling stops totaling 18.47 gallons for 55.72 mpg. The trip computer said 52.2 mpg.

I was amazed to only put in 2.75 gallons at Providence, that gave me a mileage of over 66 mpg for that leg of my trip, and that was going on I-95 between NYC / New Haven, CT / Providence, RI mostly at around 70-75 MPH (with a little bit of local city riding mixed in)! But I was surprised the other way to get much worse mileage riding back down on I-87 and then the Taconic State Parkway in NY between Chestertown and Briarcliff Manor, putting over 4 gallons in after only 212-ish miles of the same kind of riding (for just over 50 mpg).

I'm guessing the pump in Providence didn't fill my tank up nearly as much as the other fill-ups, and/or I jammed the neck of the pump in deeper or at a different enough angle that the shutoff valve kicked in early. If the configuration shutoff earlier by 0.5 gallons, it wouldn't be much for a car but would be right in line with the mileage I got overall otherwise.

·
Administrator
13,552 Posts
I was amazed to only put in 2.75 gallons at Providence, that gave me a mileage of over 66 mpg, and that was going on I-95 between NYC / New Haven, CT / Providence, RI mostly at around 70-75 MPH (with a little bit of local city riding mixed in)! But I was surprised the other way to get much worse mileage riding back down on I-87 and then the Taconic State Parkway in NY between Chestertown and Briarcliff Manor, putting over 4 gallons in after only 212-ish miles of riding (for just over 50 mpg).
When I looked at the graphs of 202,400 km of riding my 2006 DL650 and looked at the detailed numbers there were a fewthings that stood out:

-Mileage varied quite a bit from tank to tank with close to 5% variation most often and 10% variation not unusual. (This appeared true even when filling up at the same station consistantly.)

-mileage dropped with higher speed riding. Most noticeable when travelling over 120kph/75 mph and with heavy headwinds.

-mileage dropped with colder temperatures and rose with warmer temperatures.

Little else made a consistant, trackable difference. Gearing, windshield, sidecases, etc were hard to notice the difference over a tank when you kep the above in mind. (It will be easier to track those changes with the 2012 and the fuel mileage readout but I don't know if I want to put that much effort into it.)

..Tom

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sticking to the odo and fuel pump. It's consistent.

And while I don't track mileage by logging it, I do pay attention to it and notice differences from tank to tank and the type of riding conditions.

Tom's numbers ring true for me, and like Pat, I've only had a couple or three 300 mile tanks on my first two dl650s --- roughly 90k miles.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Think of the readout like you would a box of nails that says "1,000 Count." It's a general idea, not an exact measurement. Fer'instance, I bought a box of cookies at Publix the other day that said "13 Count." A few hours after bringing them home, I was beating the kid senseless because I ate one, and there were only 8 left in the box. He swore he didn't eat the other 4. The policeman who came over explained to me that usually 1 pound of cookies adds up to 13, but not always. He then showed me the package and sure enough, it had a price per pound, which matched the weight and price of my package of cookies.

On the Mini I use the MPG readout to remind me not to floor it at every light; it will go from 38 MPGto 6 mpg every time I do.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On the Mini I use the MPG readout to remind me not to floor it at every light; it will go from 38 MPGto 6 mpg every time I do.
The one on the Scion xB bears much more resemblance to reality than the '12 DL650. I just won't be using the one on the bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ride typically at 50-55 mph with little to no stopping from my home to work with no saddle bags, just a laptop bag bungeed’ to the back and consistently get 65+mpg. When I ride to "ride" or with golf clubs and saddle bags it drops significantly to anywhere from 48 to 52mpgs. Also thru-way speeds my MPG drop to about 48-52 (That’s at Mass Pike speeds). Without getting too technical, and I am sure there are physicist on this site who can further explain, wind resistance is roughly velocity squared (V²), in other words, wind resistance is exponential, so the difference in wind resistance from 50 to 70mph is a change in resistance of nearly 96%, obviously there is much more to calculating wind resistance and drag coefficients, but the point is, a small change in speed can make a great difference in engine load.

This is using ODO and pump calculations. Again, typically my meter reads about 3mpg's worse than the pump calculation, which is, Miles since last fill up / gallons needed to fill up since last fill up = MPGs, in case my arithmetic comes into question.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ride typically at 50-55 mph with little to no stopping from my home to work with no saddle bags, just a laptop bag bungeed’ to the back and consistently get 65+mpg.
Sorry, man, I'm not buying the 65mpg numbers unless you start using graduated cylinders for fuel fill up and GPS for distances. After I see my first over 60MPG tank on rural Maine roads with no stop signs, I'll reconsider.

The new bike may be slightly more efficient than the old, but not 20%. Mine sure isn't with 5500 miles on the 2012 and 90k+ on the two previous versions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My typical ride is on two lanes between 45 mph to 65 mph. Over 4000+ miles my '12 Wee consistenly returns 67 to 69 USmpg. The readout will be 2 mpg pessimistic, still a useful indicator.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I was getting surprisingly good numbers... during break-in. No wonder, with the low RPMs and mostly 45-50 mph riding on lightly-traveled country roads. (Oh yea, and no side cases either.) Now at higher speeds and with full luggage, average mpg is about ~ 50. Still better than my Chevy pickup, and way more fun! :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My typical ride is on two lanes between 45 mph to 65 mph. Over 4000+ miles my '12 Wee consistenly returns 67 to 69 USmpg. The readout will be 2 mpg pessimistic, still a useful indicator.
The numbers from the computer may say that, but it has nothing to do with real MPG on the road. You're telling me you're getting ~360 miles per tank. No way.

Those high 60's numbers are as much BS as the 32mpg numbers I was getting at times. Trust that readout at your own peril.

Use the trip meter for miles/km since last fill up and use that to compute your mpg per fill up. It's a lot closer to reality.

·
38,048 Posts
If most of the ride is closer to 45 than 65, it's not impossible.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts