StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know that gut feeling you get that helps you make decisions from what to get at mcdonalds to big decisions like what to do with the rest of your life. You ever go against that feeling and have it bite you right in the ass...

My life long friend (we'll call him HotRod) is semi permanently visiting me in texas. We both love motorcycles. Of course HotRod is a cruiser, loud pipe, ape hanger guy and im me with my 26 year old night hawk and wee strom. Anywho... Ive never really liked how he rides bikes so Ive been avoiding riding bikes.

So hes down here and its great accept I dont ride my bike at all. So finally I got sick of not riding and bit the bullet...

Just after installing my brand new crash bars, belly guard, annnnnnd hand guards.

I got to ride the strom to lunch and park it next to the harleys... but on the way back I ride the nighthawk. So I could the best best buddy award.

We alllllllll the way to my apartment complex parking lot and HotRod decides to make some noise with the strom rev and go what i consider to fast for a parking lot.

He starts to go by a stopped truck and... of course the truck starts to turn to pull into a space.

HotRod did a good job not hitting the truck but he dumps the bike and offs himself.

I was behind him i got to watch the whole thing

Hes okay some good arm road rash and a couple bumps.

Im down a footpeg, a blinker, a front fender. crash bars did a GREAT job and so did the hand guards!

So I guess guys and gals Im jus sayin... trust your gut... riding, not riding, life in general

Upside I get some neeewwwww upgrades!!!!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
The good thing is that you put those crash bars on before the bike was dropped. Now put a little black paint on the damaged crash bars. You can easily replace the foot peg and the turn signal.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow that makes me want to buy crash bars. They look like you could just touch them up and they will be no worse for wear. Hand guard and turn signal might need to be replaced. Glad your buddy wasnt hurt! :hurray:

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I was a senior in high school circa 1974 I watched a guy borrow a ride on a kid's brand new Yamaha RT360. Being the jackass he was he decided to show off by riding a wheelie across the parking lot, naturally he caught the rear fender, the bike endoed and did a spectacular flip up into the air because he was going about 40.
That was about the last time I considered letting someone ride a bike of mine unless I fully trusted them and knew their riding habits and not often even then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where I am from, What your gut is telling you: "Your buddy owes you a new blinker, foot peg, crash bar and Hand guard." If not, I would check your gut on how good a buddy he really is.

I love seeing how those crash bars held up. Good thing you put those on.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Where I am from, What your gut is telling you: "Your buddy owes you a new blinker, foot peg, crash bar and Hand guard." If not, I would check your gut on how good a buddy he really is.

I love seeing how those crash bars held up. Good thing you put those on.
Not worth losing a good mate of 26 years over a few bits of plastic and a scratched crash bar.

Easy fixes and now you don't have to worry about the "first drop" nerves.

Get in his ear about kicking in a few bucks for the fixes.

In the scheme of life, this is no "biggie".

At least he didn't drop the Nighthawk. :yikes:
Now that would really suck.

But the Wee, on the other hand, can take being dropped now and then. :yesnod:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Hello John!

Welcome to the club! Have you seen photographs of what my motorcycle looks like now? Well.....um.....er....shuffle....shuffle..... a buddy didn't do all of that, I did!

I never have broken a footpeg, or a shift lever. But, I have broken two sets of handguards, and two sets of blinkers as well. Oh yeah, and mirrors too!

Most riders replace the stock blinkers with something other then the OEM ones. You can do a search for them using the "Google Search Box" underneath the word "Calendar".

You can bend the crashbar back out. I have done it with the crashbar on the bike, and I have also done it with the crashbar off of the bike. In the end, I made my own. They don't bend! (Yup, even tested them out too, with a 55mph laydown in northern NH.).

If you were back on the island, I would have that bike rolled into my garage, and we could get things back to normal!

Glad your buddy is okay, and You Too!

Barry

·
Registered
588 Posts
First, glad to hear everyone's ok and that the damage is superficial.

Second, You have AWESOME taste in bikes! I miss my Nighthawk soooo much sometimes. She was even the same colour just 50ccs more than yours. ;)

The Wee will be fixed and will be no worse for wear because of it; the Nighthawk would have done much worse. Take care of her... no more lending to friends, new or old!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I was a senior in high school circa 1974 I watched a guy borrow a ride on a kid's brand new Yamaha RT360. Being the jackass he was he decided to show off by riding a wheelie across the parking lot, naturally he caught the rear fender, the bike endoed and did a spectacular flip up into the air because he was going about 40.
That was about the last time I considered letting someone ride a bike of mine unless I fully trusted them and knew their riding habits and not often even then.
Oooof ya... free lesson there

Hello John!

Welcome to the club! Have you seen photographs of what my motorcycle looks like now? Well.....um.....er....shuffle....shuffle..... a buddy didn't do all of that, I did!

I never have broken a footpeg, or a shift lever. But, I have broken two sets of handguards, and two sets of blinkers as well. Oh yeah, and mirrors too!

Most riders replace the stock blinkers with something other then the OEM ones. You can do a search for them using the "Google Search Box" underneath the word "Calendar".

You can bend the crashbar back out. I have done it with the crashbar on the bike, and I have also done it with the crashbar off of the bike. In the end, I made my own. They don't bend! (Yup, even tested them out too, with a 55mph laydown in northern NH.).

If you were back on the island, I would have that bike rolled into my garage, and we could get things back to normal!

Glad your buddy is okay, and You Too!

Barry
Barry, Ive seen a couple of your mods... some really great, creative stuff. Ill have to find the unbendable crash bars! For now in my limited garage, they will probably have to stay the way they are.

Ive already ordered a replacement foot peg and am going to go with some flush mount blinkers i found on ebay for cheap. I havent decided what to do about the fender. Ive seen a couple different versions out there but I think Ill just get a used stock one. Ha id love to jus roll it in to your shop and see what happens, you've got quite the reputation here haha. Id also love to ride her up home. Gah... maybe some day. Im in the process of looking for a new boat gig to make home more accessible. Texas is cool with its 365 day of riding... but im ready for a new adventure. Speaking of adventure. If I dont get a new job in a couple months Im planning on a bike ride to Portland Oregon, this spring. Via the grand canyon and Cali. SOOOOO much public land, YUM! Houston... not so much public land. The way my schedule works I could make it up there, stash it at a buddies house for a couple weeks and then do another trip... towards alaska? or back south via Sturgis and colorado? Big ideas... need more time for riding.

First, glad to hear everyone's ok and that the damage is superficial.

Second, You have AWESOME taste in bikes! I miss my Nighthawk soooo much sometimes. She was even the same colour just 50ccs more than yours. ;)

The Wee will be fixed and will be no worse for wear because of it; the Nighthawk would have done much worse. Take care of her... no more lending to friends, new or old!
Ya hes alright, I make sure to give him a good flick on the dressing every once in a while. Love to hear about another Nighthawk lover, man you got the Canada version! The US had that tariff stuffgoin on on bikes over 750s so they dumbed it down. Sad and maybe a little sick to say, but if I could ever find an 84-86 NH 750... Id probably have to buy it! That bike puts the biggest smile on my face I cant imagine what another 50 cc would do!

Thanks for all the words guys... RIDE ON!

·
Registered
15,732 Posts
With buddies like that you don't need enemies. I hope he ponies up for the repairs.
Bad enough when you wreck your own bike but to have help from a thoughtless guest...Phooey.

·
Registered
21 Posts
oops

Those crash bars were money well spent. AFTER I laid my Wee down I bought all the protective stuff I could put on the bike. And it was still cheaper than my repairs I had too do on the crash.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Your garage is all that you need to rebend your crashbars. ]

Back in 2008, I had a "cold tires, cold pavement" laydown, (Um.....I have had three or four of those to date.....).

This is how I rebent the crashbars back in 2008.

I wheeled the bike into my garage, (you know where I live....still!), laid it on its side, and attached a come-a-long to a ceiling joist, (I drilled a hole through it), and the other end to my bike. I winched the bike, up in the air, by the crashbars, then climbed up on the bike, and jumped, "up and down" a couple of times to ease the bars back out away from the bike frame.

Go easy on the jumping. Just kind of "push down" with your weight.

------------------

You need to move to Virginia. From there, you can take off for some really good riding, and also get back to Maine for visits.

Barry

·
Registered
64 Posts
Glad your buddy was not hurt the wee can be patched up for a few dollars.
I really just wanted to comment on your nighthawk that thing is pristine! Love it.
My first bike was a 1980 CB250 which I still have fond memories of.

I just sold a rusty old jeep the wheels in my head are telling me start looking on craigslist for a nighthawk lol.............

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is the reason I never loan out my

(1) Car
(2) Motorcycle
(3) Wife

Someone is likely to throw a rod in all 3 of them

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your garage is all that you need to rebend your crashbars. ]

Back in 2008, I had a "cold tires, cold pavement" laydown, (Um.....I have had three or four of those to date.....).

This is how I rebent the crashbars back in 2008.

I wheeled the bike into my garage, (you know where I live....still!), laid it on its side, and attached a come-a-long to a ceiling joist, (I drilled a hole through it), and the other end to my bike. I winched the bike, up in the air, by the crashbars, then climbed up on the bike, and jumped, "up and down" a couple of times to ease the bars back out away from the bike frame.

Go easy on the jumping. Just kind of "push down" with your weight.

You need to move to Virginia. From there, you can take off for some really good riding, and also get back to Maine for visits.

Barry
Ya wow, jumpin on the bike to unbend the bars... BOLD... I might be able to rig somethin similar up. Virginia could be cool... ride the dragon... ALLLLLL the time.

Glad your buddy was not hurt the wee can be patched up for a few dollars.
I really just wanted to comment on your nighthawk that thing is pristine! Love it.
My first bike was a 1980 CB250 which I still have fond memories of.

I just sold a rusty old jeep the wheels in my head are telling me start looking on craigslist for a nighthawk lol.............
Nighthawks are cooooool! Ill post some more pics some where. Real cool bikes. Glad I talked myself into not selling it. The red white and blue ones would be REAAAAALLLLLY cool!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I grew up with this ringin' in my ear... "the best thing that could happen to anyone's property is they loaned it to you"

Kinda operated that way all my life. I value my stuff but I value other folks more. I would've never been hot doggin' on somebody elses stuff. Glad nobody got seriously injured.

·
Registered
49 Posts
LIFE

Back in my wilder days, I had a friend like HOTROD. Loaned him my bike which he dropped and never compensated me for. Three years latter I heard that he was doing life at the Huntsville State Prison. Karma, ain't it grand? Now the only thing with a wheel I loan is my wheelbarrow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Back in 1958 I let a guy ride my brand new Vespa. He came back with a very pained look on his face. He was wearing flip flops and had crashed the scooter and bent and skinned up the front shield. Boy was I upset. I didn't even offer any sympathy for his injuries. Lots of road rash and all of the toe nails on his right foot were standing straight up. Served him right.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Glad your buddy's all right and the damage isn't worse.

I'm pretty much convinced that crashbars are just an invitation to dropping the bike:fineprint: I'd had my Wee for a year, maybe a year and a half, before I installed the crashbars. I dropped it just a month or so later...then again a week after that...and a third time after about a month. Go figure. In any case, your crashbars just paid for themselves. They're cheap insurance, IMHO.

:thumbup: on the Nighthawk, too. I fell in love with an '83 CB550 twenty-plus years ago in college, but couldn't afford to buy it. Fast forward to 2009, and my first bike was...an '83 CB550. It was a beater -- really rough around the edges, and it only lasted a thousand miles before I found bronze in an oil change, but it sure was a fun bike while it lasted. I'll always have a soft spot for those Nighthawks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts