StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious if anybody here actually goes through the trouble of removing the seat to set up that little helmet cable on its hanger to secure your helmet to the bike? Besides my helmet scratching the h#!! out of my side cover, it seems like a big hassle. Has anyone fitted an aftermarket helmet lock to their WeeStrom or maybe one from a different bike?

Dan

·
Registered
725 Posts
It’s a pain in the a**, I almost never do. I just take my helmet with me. My wife doesn’t like carrying around her helmet so if she rides on the back we usually lock both helmets to the bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So a bunch of engineers figured THAT was the best way to attach a helmet to a bike? It is a total pain, and the "hooks" for it don't hold it as soon as the seat is lifted. My Kryptonite stock is safe for now...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Wonder if they did it to keep it inexpensive and simple. I personally hate helmet locks, I usually remove them. I don't know why, I just don't like them anyways. So I was kinda glad this bike has nothing I have to remove, cause that way I didn't have to pay for it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I keep a long cable lock under my seat. If I'm going to be inside somewhere for awhile where carrying my helmet around with me would be a hassle I use the long cable to secure my helmet and/or jacket to the bike. I usually secure it by passing the cable up front under the handle bars. It's long enough to go through the sleeve of a jacket too. This of course means removing the seat to remove and store the cable lock but it's an option. I got the idea from Sandiegoland.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The instant the dealer demonstrated the "helmet lock" I knew I would never use the stupid thing. I put my helmet in a case (if there's room), cable lock it, take it with me, or just leave it by the bike if I can see it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That funny little loop

I did use the loop with my first 3/4 helmet just so I wouldn't have to carry it around.

Then I bought my new Nolan full face & they made it with a sorta clip on latch, but no D-rings to use with the cable. Bastards!

So I haven't used it in awhile. Just lock up the helmet in my Givi topcase. Doesn't take much to fill it up, though, once a full face helmet is inside...

·
Registered
269 Posts
When I'm close, I strap my helmet to the rack on back, using the chin strap, and turn on the proximity sensor on my bike's alarm.

Sure, they can get the helmet, but I figure the chirping as they get closer will make them think twice. And thanks to the 2-way FM transmitter, I know what's going on most of the time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Gun lock!

That little helmet cable is useless :roll: Even my 86 Radian 600 (like the least expensive Yamaha 600 one could by in 1986) had a helmet lock. Anyway, going into Wally World one day and there were these really cheap “gun locks” in the sports area. Short cable and perfect for locking a helmet to the little platform on the back of the bike. It came with two keys, and if I wanted to I could treat it like the little cable-it takes up no space. They sell em really cheap to promote safety. I guess if I wanted I could lock a gun to my bike? :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
I stick the key in the helmet lock and open it then slip the d-ring on my helmet strap in there and turn the key to close it on the d-ring. That's all there is to it. Someone has to cut your helmet strap to steal it then it's pretty useless to them anyway.

The cable under the seat is for locking two helmets to the helmet lock at once. (By slipping the cable thru the d-rings)

Your motorcycle salespeople weren't very knowledgeble.

·
Registered
360 Posts
senecagreen said:
I stick the key in the helmet lock and open it then slip the d-ring on my helmet strap in there and turn the key to close it on the d-ring. That's all there is to it. Someone has to cut your helmet strap to steal it then it's pretty useless to them anyway.

The cable under the seat is for locking two helmets to the helmet lock at once. (By slipping the cable thru the d-rings)

Your motorcycle salespeople weren't very knowledgeble.
Could you enlighten us as to where the key operated helmet lock is on a V-Strom?

·
Registered
119 Posts
A guy I work with has one on his DL100K3. I don't know if it came standard or is aftermarket. The 650's don't come with a helmet lock. There are aftermarket ones you can buy to put on the bike though.

DL650K5
Red

·
Registered
119 Posts
A guy I work with has one on his DL1000K3. I don't know if it came standard or is aftermarket. The 650's don't come with a helmet lock. There are aftermarket ones you can buy to put on the bike though.

DL650K5
Red

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My philosophy as of late has been, if they want it they can have it, since my crappy 35 yr old Premiere isn't even worth the price of that little cable I hang it from. :lol:
Dan

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a DL1000 04 and it came with a helmet lock on the left side below the seat. As senecagreen pointed out the "extension" is for a second helmet or a helmet with a very short strap. The helmet lock is operated with the same key as the bike so I am pretty sure it is stock. Does any one with a 02 or 03 have this lock?

Sorta on the topic, does anyone know of a lock replacement kit for the Suzuki luggage that makes them work with the bike key?

Thanks

John

S

·
0 Posts
Sorry. :oops: I thought everyone had a helmet lock on the left side just under the seat. I have a 04 DL1000.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts