StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used DL650 K6. I towed it south in January for my first ride on it. I was Not impressed and had some buyers remorse. I have been riding for 40 years and bought the Wee for it's lighter weight than my cruiser, easy towability and good gas mileage.
I rode it a couple of days in the hills west of Austin Texas and loved it. Then I needed to ride to Houston and got in a windy ride and Hated it, as I was blown all over the highway. Also it started to miss fire and then left me stranded as it wouldn't start after the hard ride into the wind. So I soon figured out why it was on the used market.
Due to input from this forum, I was able to figure out it needed a TPS ( throttle position sensor) and it would profit from lowering the front forks.
It was almost like magic. Now it is stone reliable and is Much, much better on gusty days, crosswinds and passing semi's. I think I will be owning this machine for quite some time.
Too bad the first owner didn't take advantage of a great forum, his loss, my gain! Thank you so much!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I never cease to be amazed by the different reactions to lowering the front 10-15mm, or even the 7-10mm ABS bikes can handle with a fork brace. Reactions go from yours down to "it's almost uncontrollable". It's a good thing it's free and simple for folks to try and go back if needed.

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I never cease to be amazed by the different reactions to lowering the front 10-15mm, or even the 7-10mm ABS bikes can handle with a fork brace. Reactions go from yours down to "it's almost uncontrollable". It's a good thing it's free and simple for folks to try and go back if needed.
I totally agree; and I am almsot always amazed that some would suggest a Fork Brace before the lowering of the front. That one change alone make a huge improvement, it's free to do and reversable.

(BTW I have a fork brace and like it, but how can one not suggest a free mod that does so much?)

..Tom

·
Registered
244 Posts
i'm guilty with no excuses - i just keep forgetting about this free and simple mod.

i will put it on my list of things to do very soon!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Mine was poor in winds even with the front lowered and the forks braced. Correctly tightening the steering stem nut was a big help. (The nut is not a damper, and too tight is not good.)

·
Registered
672 Posts
It realy is a very good mod. did it to my wife's Wee to lower it and the handling was so much better I then did it to mine.

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts
I would assume that you would lower the front by turning the adjustments clockwise???
Lowering the front/raising the forks is acheived by physically moving the forks up in the triple tee. There are few threads here about it but basically you loosen three bolts and slide up the fork tube, then do the same with the other side. If you are talking about the adjustment on the top of the fork, that adjsts the pre-load on the springs and is a differnt thing altogether.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
My fork brace has worked so well that I haven't gotten around to doing GW's fork position adjust. One day in Carlsbad CA my friend on his ST1100 and I were at a stoplight. I was leaning into the gusting crosswind. The wind broke a windshield mount bracket on the ST1100 while we were sitting there. From there to the Caverns I was leaned hard into the wind but it was easy to hold course. I don't want to even think about that stretch of road on that day without the fork brace.

All credit due to this website and high level knowledge folks like GW.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What are the torque specs of the triple clamps? This reminds me I have been to lazy to lower mine as well.
Thanks,
Adam

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
What are the torque specs of the triple clamps? This reminds me I have been to lazy to lower mine as well.
Thanks,
Adam
If you mean the pinch bolts holding the fork tubes, 16.5lb-ft.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you mean that the TPS needed to be adjusted, or that it needed to be replaced?
It needed to be replaced. The bike ran perfectly on short trips, but when it was worked hard in distance or high headwinds and got really warmed up, it would not idle, sometimes miss-fired at speeds, and only once turned on the FI failure light and would not restart.
It was to the point, I would not go on group rides, or take on a ride over 35 miles. I replaced the TPS, which is pretty straight forward once you read the info you can get off of this forum. Bike is now running perfectly. I am planning a 3000 mile strip for later this summer. I have a Honda Valkyrie which is a wonderful long distance bike, but I am really thinking of taking the Wee as it will allow me to explore more by taking in some of the smaller roads that would be a handfull for me on the Valk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts