StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike developed a nice intake backfire while on the Vermont VStrom ride. Thanks to everyone here for posting such great info. Pulled the tank off and there before me was the intake boot on the rear cylinder popped off. Loosened the clamp and it popped back on all by itself. Tighten the clamp, put the tank back on and we're back to normal.

Question though ... how often does the intake boot to the front cylinder pop off, and when it does, how do you get to it?

· Premium Member
4,425 Posts
I think the front is pretty uncommon. One thing you might do to prevent future blow-offs is to pop them off yourself and use alcohol to clean around the boot/throttle body junction. Mine popped off a couple of time and, since I cleaned them well, it hasn't happened again.

· Registered
119 Posts
Craig, I thought I was the only one backfiring in VT! (I felt sorry for whoever was riding behind me.)

How did you determine that it was in intake backfire vs. the other kind? In any event, I will look at my bike tonight to see if the same fix is needed.

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Craig, I thought I was the only one backfiring in VT! (I felt sorry for whoever was riding behind me.)

How did you determine that it was in intake backfire vs. the other kind? In any event, I will look at my bike tonight to see if the same fix is needed.
Uh, there were explosions coming from my groin area that weren't a normal happening ...

An intake backfire is more of a single loud pop, and even with a full face and earplugs, you can tell it's coming from from the airbox area under the tank. An exhaust backfire is usually accompanied by some burbling exhaust sounds leading up to what can sound like a cannon shot. I was mostly getting the intake pop during the 1-2 gear change, and sometimes when abruptly rolling the throttle off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.