StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have moved to a 2005 Goldwing and it is not practical or approved by my financial adviser to keep both. 52,000 miles of travel to Key West, Niagara Falls and our favorite rides into the Gatlinburg and North Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee mountains. We ran up to Port Clinton Ohio just for some yellow perch.
Thanks to all for the info and camaraderie.
I may lurk.
Mike

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
The pics suggest you are in Australia. Enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Congrats on the new to you Wing. I've owned 4 Gold Wings, 2 1500's and two 1800's, the last of which was an '05 that I bought new in '05, and has been, to date, probably my most favorite bike. I put 85000 miles on it by the time I sold it in 2012, and loved every one of those miles. The Wing should meet all your touring needs, especially the 2-up riding.

·
Administrator
13,829 Posts
I've never owned one, but I spent 4 days riding through the mountains in Alberta and BC on a new 2010 Model and was blown away by how good it was at doing what it was supposed to do! Fast as hell, smooth, great handling.. just a wonderful bike! If my riding life meant having a passenger on the back and cruising North America it would be hard to beat.

Too bad you left the Strom World but no one is going to give you sympathy having to ride that wonderful bike!

..Tom

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I regret having sold my Gold Wing, but at the time we were moving from Idaho to Alaska and we needed the money. I really miss that bike.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
I regret having sold my Gold Wing, but at the time we were moving from Idaho to Alaska and we needed the money. I really miss that bike.
You are SO lucky to own a 'wing.

I had a 1979 GL1000 and rode the crap out of it. They had the bike built right from the first model. Newer wings are just incredible to ride.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Super nice bike. It's a wicked highway bike.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I am insanely jealous. I am planning on one when I retire....5 years and counting. I turned 53 two days ago.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The Gold Wing is often referred to as an "old man's bike," or a "lead wing." These folks are seriously uninformed. I've owned 2 GL1500's and 2 GL1800's, and I can safely say that the 1800 is an amazing machine. It is a serious twisty tamer as well as a pleasant freeway burner. On curvy 2-lane roads is where it's the most fun. You'd never know it weighs 925 pounds! The weight just disappears as the clutch is let out. Great balance and low center of gravity makes the Wing nimble. Like I said, I really miss my Gold Wing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have a 2012 GL and am new to the DL650 family (leftover 2013). I enjoy having them both and respect them for their different characteristics. Coincidentally, I've been on the Glee for a 3-4 weeks until today. I took the GL to work. It's pretty easy to go from the GL to the DL, but going the other way takes a few miles to get use to the weight, throttle tension, and overall size.
I've been across country twice on GL's. Once in '84 and again in '08. It does make for a great, comfortable ride.
Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
After riding an SV for a couple of years, getting my Vee felt like going from a Honda Civic to a Ford F250. I'm sure the Goldwing must feel like a touring bus! :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
check out "steve saunders goldwing forum"...seems the place to be on the net....I also have been shopping for a wing, need something more comfortable 2-up, but ended up with a 98 road king.....will eventually get an 1800....happy motoring...

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I guess I don't get these goodbye messages. Okay, fine. If you were ever a part of this community, you still are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts