StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, out with the old leather in with the new textile....The US and Europe seem to have much more selection, any opinions on where in the GTA I can view purchase some good gear and boots....ordering suggestions are welcome.
I know this thread may be better suited elsewhere but I want to hear from my fellow Canucks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Vordak,

I have been to gpbikes, bought my previous bike from them...drop in and see them every week or two. I do not want Joe Rocket, The Ixon pants I am told from the sales person are for long lean statures (which I am not)- made in France. Can't find enough about the Ixon product on line, and thats about all they have in stock as of a weeks or so ago.
Thanks tho,

·
Registered
636 Posts
You might not want Joe Rocket but Royal Distributing is expanding into a new building just off of the 400 at exit 85 near Barrie. Keep your eyes open, they might have some good opening day sales going on when they move to the big new place.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is there any "regular" jacket with no brand name advertised on it? I don't like these big brand names such as suzuki, Joe rocket or mocket or whoever else on the jacket or these huge shoulder pads sticking out of the jacket like gladiators.

One colour or multi-colour but simple with nothing written on it. I don't like leather :)

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
It isn't in Canada, but otherwise you might like it.

Rider-2000,

Yesterday I tried on a sturdy jacket at the Suzuki dealership here in Sarasota Florida. For US$109.95 (+7%FST) you can get a good warm durable jacket with a zip-in lining, armour (well, it's actually armor, but the fellows at the Peace Bridge will sew in a 'u' for y'all) in various places, and I think the brand name is on little plastic labels that are sewn on and can be removed leaving no trace.

You can get a black one with red and white highlights or a black one with white and red highlights - you know, take it or leave it colour. There's that 'u' again.

And how warm is it? I know your climate, and I would wear this with a wool sweater, or maybe two, down to about -9ºC. With no sweater at all, it's probably OK to 5ºC; above 14ºC I would zip out the lining; above 24ºC I would take it off.

I cannot comment on the armour; I have never worn armoured clothing before, and I do not expect to wear it again. I have left bloody bits of me on various roads in the GTA, and I expect to do it again, but not soon, I hope.

I will be going back to the dealer to get an air filter on Thursday; would you like more information, such as brand name, sizes available, cost to send to Canada?

Compared to prices I have seen in Canada, this seems like a good deal, but a garment is no good if the potential wearer doesn't like it. Heavy recommended a store in Ajax, and the jackets there cost more than my first bike AND all the gas it ever used!

Best of luck!
Keith

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keith Falkner

...Any information would be great!
The dealership you talk about in Ajax is a good place, I visit every week or two. Ducati and used bikes mostly, lots of stock apparel but not a great selection of manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
... and obey!

R'Oli and Rider-2000,

I hear ...

OK, I shall research those togs. I took a brief look at Canada Customs, and I find confusion compounded and enlightenment confounded.

Brand names, sizes available, weights, and business practices I shall research, and report on in this area. I wore one jacket, size XL (and I generally take L) and I found it a tad uncomfortable, mainly because of the unaccustomed protective inserts.

My digital camera is smaller than a pack of 20 DuMaurier smokes, but perhaps I can get a shot or two of the jacket and send it.

If you tell me your height and weight, perhaps I can recruit volunteers of a simlar size to try the jacket on and let me know their reactions. I speaka da Metric, and will convert to our antiquated pounds, shillings, and ounces (to quote a bear of little brain).

News Thursday evening,
Keith

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Blackfoot Cycle in Calgary (huge dealer, lots of accessories) took out a full page ad in the January Cycle Canada. They claim they will be selling online, and guarentee the "best prices in the world". I keep trying the site, but it still maintains "ready in early 07", whatever that means.

I bought my Alpinstars riding gear there and did indeed get a great price at that time (in store).

Otherwise, most of my bike goodies are purchased online, south of our border. Especially tires. Even with shipping and exchange I save a bundle. I am fortunate that I live very close to the US border, so I have the items shipped to an address in the States and just pick up the items. Sometimes I pay duty, sometimes I dont. PST and GST are always collected. I wish there were Canadian online retailers that I could support, but the prices are just too far out of line in most cases.

Cheers!

ps: one of my favourite online retailers is www.imotorcyclestore.com

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
ps: I just checked out the "new" Royal Distributing web site, found it to be a pain in the butt to try and look around.

·
Registered
79 Posts
riding gear

I've been to Gp's . Good place! I'm going to the bike show so I can see and try on a bunch of different gear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Keith thanks for offering to go and check it out at the dealer. Clothing and helmet needs to be comfortable as you mentioned. If Suzuki has something with no logo or the labels could be removed then voila I shall visit their store.

Also Toronto show is just around the corner. I'll get there and see if they have any available and if it is at marked down prices.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
I shall check out the jackets thoroughly.

OK, troops, I shall post news Thursday evening of those jackets.

I do not think the brand of jacket is associated in any way with Suzuki. The dealership here is quite unusual, with museum quality ancient bikes visiting occasionally, sometimes lots of dirt bikes and sometimes none, and recently three left over 2006 V-Stroms, in colours that other riders tell me must be 2005 or 2007 (that riddle is posted somewhere else).

Keith

P.S. This time of year, I develop Canada Fever. Ride to Bruce's Mills or somewhere they make maple syrup, and tell me how the place smells!

Just don't mention DONUTs!

·
Registered
79 Posts
It smells of Spring

Keith
Up here the air is awash with the aroma of stale snow, two-stroke snowmobile oil and road salt. We expect it to be replaced very soon with the fragrance of road-washing April showers, anxious Strom exhaust fumes and tantalizing spring (not necessarily in that order). Regardless of the season, there is always the underlying waft of Tim Hortons Maple donuts.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Nitro Jackets in Sarasota Florida

OK, troops,

I found that the Suzuki Store here in Sarasota has three flavours of NITRO jackets, and I took two lousy pictures of a red US$110 and a blue $120. The $199 jackets appear like leather, but are probably vinyl.

The store will sell to Canadians and mail your purchase to you. Duties and GST and PST will be unpredictable, but your responsibility.

So far as I can see, a few minutes with a penknife would suffice to remove the prominent labels. There are little tags in low seams and in pockets that you can ignore

Let's see if I can upload pictures. Hey, I can.

Those pictures are barely enough to identify the jackets. If you can visit your local store and determine that Nitro is the jacket for you, and determine the size you want, this may be the way for you to get a good deal. The store is Suzuki of Sarasota, and you can find them on the web. They say they can get the size from XS to XXXL and colour (red, blue, black, gray) you want.

I was short of time, so had to leave with just these details, and some even worse photos. I will be back there soon, so if you want more data, let me know.

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Royal distribution

I had the opportunity to drop into the new Royal Distribution store near Barrie.
It is just off the 400 around Innisfil. They just opened this location on March 5 and they are still unpacking some of the gear.
They have lots of gear, all different price ranges and styles. The store is big, well laid out and it's easy to try stuff on. It is worth the trip to check it out. Unfortunantly they don't seem to have much in the way of Farkles although a good portion of the store is still dedicated to snowmobile stuff. They may move the bike stuff in when the snow melts.
Some nice tex stuff for around $195.00 with no visible labels.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TJ

Any word on your bike, is it in yet?
The concern I have with in expensive textile is that it may not hold up well to everyday use or in the event of an unfortunate dump-and-slide.

·
Registered
79 Posts
bike delivery

R'oli

From what I saw, the gear seems to be very durable. I do not have any concerns about day to day wear and tear. I would rather buy a new set of comfortable gear every year than have a hot, heavy jacket that I will be tempted not to wear on hot days.

Are you going to the bike show? You should take your daughter.

I take delivery of my bike on the 17th. Dustin is going to have it delivered to my house on the island. (My birthday is on the 19th. Happy birthday to me)

I will be traveling on and off for the next month. The weather will be good when I get back from England April 17th so I wanted to make sure it was ready for me when I get off the plane.

When are you getting yours?

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
...they don't seem to have much in the way of Farkles although a good portion of the store is still dedicated to snowmobile stuff. They may move the bike stuff in when the snow melts...

I was in the old store numerous times. They never had much in terms of farkles for us. In summer they switch from snowmobiles to 4-wheelers and dirt bikes. Maybe they'll add more bike stuff in the new store.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts