StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Second week or so in March, Crossing Louisana and Alabama river, like some info on the bridges along the way. Weather that time of year would be helpful but I really don't think it will be a problem. Hotel and tenting will be my mode of sleeping.
Plan on crossing at Natchez, 28 or 84. Pictures of the bridges in your area would be great.
[email protected] I can even buy lunch on the way by. I also seen a Ferry crossing or 2 along the way. I really don't want to do high two lane bridges. Will be doing the Trace south from Nashville so I could cross anywhere there is a bridge to my liking. Thanks for the info and any help.

I will endup at college Station to meet with a friend and his Dad to do 4 or 5 days in Hill Country Thanks Guys.
[email protected]

·
Registered
386 Posts
If I were you..........

Leave the Trace near the end and hit Port Gibson, Miss. Cool military park and museum there. On to Lorman, Miss and the best food EVER at The Old Country Store. Continue down to St Francisville, La and cross the ferry to New Roads. Head up Highway 1 (kind of boring) to north of Alexandria and then jump on 119 --runs along the Cane River -- gorgeous scenery, 484/494/119 will take you into Natchitoches and you can get back on 84.

You said Texas Trip......... Where in TX?

Weather here in March can either be hot as Hades or cool. Last year I went to the Panhandle and it was cold when I left and a week later I was in a mesh jacket.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
College Station and then 4 or 5 days in Hill Country with a fellow V-Strommer and his Dad.
I like bridges that a low, short and easy. I can't do a bridge that reallys go up and up and long. Picked up this height fobia up 10 years ago and have been trying to concuer it since. Not easy, but the bad part it keeps me on the east side of the MIssissippi.
Ride the Smokies twice a year in the summer just so the trees block most of the deep drops, especially the Gap.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Charlie,

As long as you cross the river north of Baton Rouge, you won't freak out. River is dredged there to bring up oil tankers and beasts like that so the bridges at Baton Rouge and New Orleans are the type you fear. The gentleman that offered the route around St Fancisville has good advice. Venture down to Lafayette if you get a chance. Fun town.

Having lived in north Texas for 15 years, I have one piece of dining advice for you while you're in the Austin area.

This place is freakin awesome

http://www.saltlickbbq.com/

BYOB, or at least it used to be.

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rod, well looks like you should just pack up and head on over with me. I got lots of room and time. Beem talking too Keith Falkner and he might make the ride. Total of 10 to 14 days. See you soom.

·
Registered
386 Posts
College Station and then 4 or 5 days in Hill Country with a fellow V-Strommer and his Dad.
College Station!!??

I'm in Bryan. Not too many V-Stroms around here. Does your buddy go by the screen name HiSPL? Rides a 2005 DL1000?

Oh, the Hill Country has loads of abandoned bridges. Good photo ops. One between Bertram and Llano on CR272:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool Picture, No, Ron Coombs don't visit the boards, wish he did, Tried to get him to visit but work keeps him busy and when not working he's riding. I know, not much of an excuse. He also teaches part time at the Fire College when not underway.

He rides a silver 2002 and his Dad (riding partner) rides a very old White Beemer.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I'd love to go, Charlie. That annoying thing called a job doesn't allow any extended vacations. Texas Hill Country is high on my list of places to visit on two wheels. Some Austin 6th street and the Q in Elgin and Drippin Springs is what life is all about. I hope Keith can go. He's kind of the Swiss Army Knife of Strom troopers :)

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think I actually know him. If he teaches, or used to teach, for Maurice Maness at Training Wheels, I met him at the Basic MSF course when I first transferred into Motors, then took the advanced with him. It's an insurance requirement at my dept that we take one of the MSF courses every 3 years. IIRC he had an old Wing then sold it for the Strom...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts