Strom Trooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Saddle Sore1000 is an endurance ride sanctioned by the Iron Butt Association. It requires 1000 miles within 24 hours. I accomplished this ride in 19 hours and that with look see stops in Odessa at the Meteor Crater and at the Alamo. It all highway. It started early AM and headed westerly so your not looking into the sun. More on IBA can be found here. SaddleSore 1000/Bun Burner 1500 Rules. Email me for more info at [email protected] or if you would like to get together for a ride in North Texas.
YOu can download the .gpx from the link below or email and I can provide. Refresh the page if the map doesnt appear.

http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/by/rkruz2/texas-saddle-sore-1000-from-dallas-to-odessa-to-san-antonio-and-back/

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Odessa Meteor crater is totally unimpressive. Its a filled in depression in the ground, maybe 150' wide. Not a recommend place to visit. It was a convenient POI to complete a SS route and if Id known I would have picked somewhere else that would have more interest.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the nice things about doing an IBA in Texas must be the higher speed limits, up to 85 mph if I remember correctly.
Interstate 10 in along part of that route at least portions was 80mph. I didnt enjoy it so much as some 18 wheeler believe it or not were pushing me when i was at 80 so I pulled over to let them pass. The bad thing about the Saddle Sores is that to achieve the distance/time you have to take major highways shared with 18 wheelers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts