StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's the "common practice" when crossing Texas gates; "A" or "B" ?

personally I don't like them, cause some are sunken in an inch below the road surface, upsetting the bike a lot if crossed at full speed, and that's why;
  1. I slow down usually
  2. I aim for "A" (the metal strips) to minimize the vibrations
...my Vstrom front knobby tire doesn't care if I don't line up the "A" strips perfectly, but I can definitely feel it on my FJR so I go "B" with FJR

p.s. yes it's a very short distance when crossing the gates, but still, I have seen cars crossing Texas gates at full speed and at "B" choice and they get shaken so violently that the hubcaps sometimes fall off.

·
Premium Member
5,533 Posts
They are all over the backroads and even th main highways in FNQ

there are no fences on many highways
Cook Shire Council

I just buzz across them at a reasonable speed. Harder to walk across than ride across.

Attachments

Reactions: Damirio and Spec

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A or B doesn't really matter. However, perpendicular to the rails and the bike straight up is important, especially if it is wet.
so it's ok to aim for "A" 2 inch strips when wet ?
also do you slow down or go full speed ?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Best to go for B. Cattle guards are pretty common in a lot of areas in Western NA. A lot of free range country out here. Try for A and you could lose traction. Slow down and negotiate at a reasonable speed.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
If it is wet I don't aim for the strips. Too easy to slip off the edge and then you have a lateral motion on wet, slippery crossbars.
I don't slow down much but lots of times I will stand as I approach them to evaluate if it is raised or sunken. If it is, I do slow down.
Vertical and perpendicular to the rails is the most important.

It is not all that uncommon to encounter these in a curve. When that happens, adjust your approach so that you pass over it vertically and perpendicular.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
7,560 Posts
They are called grids here and often made of used rail line. I would avoid those A strips. I usually slow as the lip between dirt and concrete can be eroded. Once I did not and the 8 inch step up blew my rear shock.

·
Registered
2014 DL650A, 2019 DL650XT
132 Posts
I’ve been riding around Montana the last week or so and have noticed several instances where the cattle guards are simply painted onto the roadway.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I’ve been riding around Montana the last week or so and have noticed several instances where the cattle guards are simply painted onto the roadway.
I have to see a picture of that. That would be hilarious if they are now just fooling the cows.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,590 Posts
Here in Texas there are some of these cattle guards that are in a curve! I always do what it takes to straighten the bike to vertical to cross the gaurd. Even if I have to lean it over pretty good once off to completed the turn. These are short, and even a bit of slippage shouldn't be too big a problem. Wet...should be approached with additional caution obviously. I do not try to hit a certain area, simple aim to go straight across at 90 degrees to the bars with bike vertical.

Reactions: Brockie

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Fairly common in certain parts of the west. Guess they fool the cattle.

I've seen cattle type guards on highways but for deer! Wider than a typical cattle guard, 20' maybe.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and for those of you that think these "Texas gates, Cattle guards etc" are scary

...check what else we have in some places, "especially designed for City Buses" they are wide so they fit nicely...but good luck if you are a car or a bike...how stupid and dangerous is that :oops::rolleyes::eek:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any speed works with vertical & perpendicular. Any tire from Avon Gripsters to Continental TKC 80's has worked for me.
True my Vstrom on TKC80's doesn't care about going ""A" or "B"... but my FJR on Angel GT's gets "nervous" if the "A" strips are not lined up perfectly...so FJR always "B" 🙃

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I went down on a cattle guard by going over the A strip. It was a long time ago, downhill on a curve.. I was applying front brake to slow a bit... Next thing I knew I was rolling down the road and the bike was sliding with me down the road ( behind me ).. Near as I can tell the front wheel locked on that strip, might have had dew on it also and when I hit the other side of the cattle guard the bike pitched me off. I don't ever aim for the strips now... also I don't see many cattle guards placed like that anymore, on a curve, downhill.

·
Registered
742 Posts
and for those of you that think these "Texas gates, Cattle guards etc" are scary

...check what else we have in some places, "especially designed for City Buses" they are wide so they fit nicely...but good luck if you are a car or a bike...how stupid and dangerous is that :oops::rolleyes::eek:

View attachment 287360
View attachment 287361
View attachment 287362
View attachment 287363
Where in the world is that? I get the idea. A bus accessible route only, keep the hard working taxpayer off a road they pay for. But wow, never seen that before.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where in the world is that? I get the idea. A bus accessible route only, keep the hard working taxpayer off a road they pay for. But wow, never seen that before.
I couldn't believe my eyes either... must be a brainchild of Calgary Traffic planning committee 🙄... and they know it will be covered in snow most of the year... like a Bear trap

1 - 20 of 21 Posts