StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Saw there was a reply in the thread. Thought maybe Revelator had a response for me. Nope. It's another comment unrelated to the OP's question. Oh joy.
Welcome to the internet message board, you will find this happens a lot on discussion boards (people having discussions)

Besides, do you realize that your post also had nothing to do with the original post? Not just this one, where you made a comment to tell everyone that you are upset people are making comments but also your question to Revelator, who is not the original poster.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
yup, for now I'm leaning towards suspension upgrade

I also tested the KTM790 adventure S, light, fast, nimble, awesome brakes, great quickshifter, ride feels crude in comparison to the vstrom, also a bit small and ugly looking. I did not like it.
I'd highly recommend the touratech/tractive shocks. Very happy with mine, it completely transformed the bike particularly for 2up riding.

I'm not a fan of the KTM 790 either, it's a dual sport that's to big IMO. It sort of sits in this awkward middle ground where it is not a very good ADV bike and it's not a very good dual sport. I prefer bikes that lean a bit more heavy to one side or the other, like the V-Strom does with its road bias and my CRF450L does with its dirt bias. There is no 1 magic bike.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,161 Posts
Took the time for some serious parking lot practice this morning.

The word most applicable is "WOW." The bike is so much better to ride now.

I can't quantify it, but it's things like this:

--front no longer bobs up and down every time I run over a pebble

--no more diving like a famine victim after an MRE, when I stop aggressively

It feels like, in general, I am more connected and in control.

I was probably just having an especially good day, but it seems like low-speed maneuvers are also easier now. I ground out a series of U-turns in the parking lot, and had little trouble staying inside the width of 2 spaces. Normally that isn't impossible, but I have to work harder at it.

Now if Sasquatch can just get the parts, I'll have my rebuilt rear shock installed & complete the fix.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Took the time for some serious parking lot practice this morning.

The word most applicable is "WOW." The bike is so much better to ride now.

I can't quantify it, but it's things like this:

--front no longer bobs up and down every time I run over a pebble

--no more diving like a famine victim after an MRE, when I stop aggressively

It feels like, in general, I am more connected and in control.

I was probably just having an especially good day, but it seems like low-speed maneuvers are also easier now. I ground out a series of U-turns in the parking lot, and had little trouble staying inside the width of 2 spaces. Normally that isn't impossible, but I have to work harder at it.

Now if Sasquatch can just get the parts, I'll have my rebuilt rear shock installed & complete the fix.
It is amazing what suspension can do for a bike!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,161 Posts
It is. Once I have the rear fixed up I'll take another look at sag and preload.

I might even get clever and work out settings for 2-up vs. just me.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,161 Posts
Of course it couldn't be that easy.

It turns out the used rear shock I bought to have rebuilt by Sasquatch is basically junk.

There are rust pits on the shaft that are too deep to remove.

That means it's going to eat the seal eventually, so it would be a waste of money to have it rebuilt.

I don't have a spare shock I can send to Sasquatch for parts. That was the whole idea of sending him a used shock, not the one on my bike - so I wouldn't have a unicycle for most of a month while I wait for shipping, rebuilding, and more shipping.

This really sucks.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Of course it couldn't be that easy.

It turns out the used rear shock I bought to have rebuilt by Sasquatch is basically junk.

There are rust pits on the shaft that are too deep to remove.

That means it's going to eat the seal eventually, so it would be a waste of money to have it rebuilt.

I don't have a spare shock I can send to Sasquatch for parts. That was the whole idea of sending him a used shock, not the one on my bike - so I wouldn't have a unicycle for most of a month while I wait for shipping, rebuilding, and more shipping.

This really sucks.
Why not put the crap shock on your bike and hobble through a month?

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,161 Posts
No reply from the seller yet.

After several rounds of calling around, emails, and web shopping, it seems like the best of several crappy options is this:

Order a Progressive Suspension shock from Adventuretech. He has the best price anywhere. I'll only spend a couple hundred more than it would have cost me, had I been able to rebuild the used shock as planned.

The part that sucks is, I won't have it until halfway through summer. Progressive shocks are made in Italy, and on their website it was saying yesterday that orders would not ship until late July. Ugh.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,161 Posts
Does anyone think it would be worthwhile to swap just the spring on my existing rear shock?

That would avoid being bike-less for a few weeks. But I don't know how reasonable it is to do that at home.

Clearly, this would not be as good as a full rebuild, or a new shock. I would still be riding on the old, worn seals. But at least I wouldn't be ridiculously under-sprung any more.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
If the shock is shot it will be like ringing pogo stick.

If you cannot do the spring swap yourself a shop should charge too much so wadda you got to lose by trying?

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,161 Posts
Gotta research where I can get just the spring, and how fast I could get it.

I don't think the seals are actually that bad on my existing shock. It's not leaking, and I think I would notice quickly if all the oil had already leaked out. The main - and maybe only real - deficiency is the over-soft spring.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,161 Posts
Yep. Need the spring plus a few adapters.

Not sure I'm up for a partial rebuild though. Seems kinda like good money after bad.

I've mulled over the various options. As frustrating and overcomplicated as it has proven, it looks like my best option is still to get a good (non-rusty) shock to Sasquatch for a rebuild.

He confirmed yesterday that he has all the parts, so could get it done in a timely fashion if I can get him a good rebuild candidate.

I put in an offer on another used DL1000 shock on eBay this morning. If that works out, I'll have him ship it directly to Sasquatch.

The seller does accept returns, so I shouldn't be SOL if this one also turns out to have hidden rust. You can only tell so much from Internet photos.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Yep. Need the spring plus a few adapters.

Not sure I'm up for a partial rebuild though. Seems kinda like good money after bad.

I've mulled over the various options. As frustrating and overcomplicated as it has proven, it looks like my best option is still to get a good (non-rusty) shock to Sasquatch for a rebuild.

He confirmed yesterday that he has all the parts, so could get it done in a timely fashion if I can get him a good rebuild candidate.

I put in an offer on another used DL1000 shock on eBay this morning. If that works out, I'll have him ship it directly to Sasquatch.

The seller does accept returns, so I shouldn't be SOL if this one also turns out to have hidden rust. You can only tell so much from Internet photos.
Check rubbersideup.com. He is a breaker in Pennsylvania that sells good stuff at reasonable prices. He is also on eBay.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,161 Posts
I did, unfortunately he didn't have what I was looking for.

There was a fresh listing from another seller today though. Shock had come off a 2005 DL1000 (K5) and seller had cautiously listed it as only for 2002-2006 DL1000's. Part # was the correct one (62100-06G20-13L) however. I ran the listing by Sasquatch, who confirmed that the shock did not change until the 2012 DL1000's.

So, I bought it. Seller will ship directly to Sasquatch. He may have it as soon as early next week.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,161 Posts
After some difficulty, Sasquatch-rebuilt rear shock installed. I now have a fully rebuilt and upgraded suspension.

It feels pretty good. Rear no longer sags like a cheap motel mattress when I get on the bike. Bumps aren't as "exciting."

Total cost: about $1000, including cost of used shock for rebuild (so that I didn't have a unicycle for the last 6 weeks).

Sure was cheaper than, and, even with all the hassles, less aggravation than getting a different bike. I'll take it.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts