StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Please feel free to point out where the DL was bashed.

Having had a DL you wouldn't have to worry I wouldn't take your DL as trade for any of my "unreliable German pieces of shit".
Perazzi

BMW GS Boxers hae:
1) generous low end torque
2) easy valve service
3) well integrated electronics
4) well integrated options, both hardware and software based.
5) Hold their resale relatively well)

They are also
1) Less reliable than V-stroms. Wait till your final drive goes
2) Require more checking of said valves
3) Increasingly heavy as they get newer.
4) Expensive when new and most of the good stuff is optional
5) truly atrocious seats; worse than even gen II storms.

Buy the GS if you want to go around the world the hard way — i.e. lots of mud — get a GS (but put a new rear end before you leave).

Buy the V-strom if you want to go around the world the easy way —i.e. mostly the road — with no stops for a broken down motorcycle or periodic maintenance.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Perazzi

BMW GS Boxers hae:
1) generous low end torque
2) easy valve service
3) well integrated electronics
4) well integrated options, both hardware and software based.
5) Hold their resale relatively well)

They are also
1) Less reliable than V-stroms. Wait till your final drive goes
2) Require more checking of said valves
3) Increasingly heavy as they get newer.
4) Expensive when new and most of the good stuff is optional
5) truly atrocious seats; worse than even gen II storms.

Buy the GS if you want to go around the world the hard way — i.e. lots of mud — get a GS (but put a new rear end before you leave).

Buy the V-strom if you want to go around the world the easy way —i.e. mostly the road — with no stops for a broken down motorcycle or periodic maintenance.
You seem to be the one brand bashing.

·
Administrator
17,021 Posts
The difference I see as an Admin when it comes to some who stay here and no longer own a Strom, is that even though they own a different bike now which they obviously like, they also don't say how inferior their previous Stroms were in comparison at seemingly any chance they get. I have been here a long time, and have most certainly seen many come back to the Stroms after owning something much more expensive and exotic, they must have good reasons or experiences for doing that? Stroms have had their past issues and perhaps even still to this day in some regards, but for whatever reasons it very much appears that most overall trust the Japanese bikes more than the Euro bikes. Can't say I would never own a Euro machine, but it's looking less likely when I feel I can now get a comparable Japanese machine these days. Ride what you like and like what you ride........wash/rinse repeat if necessary.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Please feel free to point out where the DL was bashed.

Having had a DL you wouldn't have to worry I wouldn't take your DL as trade for any of my "unreliable German pieces of shit".
Your always doing it, going on about how much better the BMW is and how you can buy a 15 year old one for the same price as a new V-Strom that isn't even worth a set of $150 springs lol.

I paid 12 grand CDN brand new for my vstrom. A GS would cost me at least double that, but even if the GS was also 12k, I'd have still taken the V-Strom.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The difference I see as an Admin when it comes to some who stay here and no longer own a Strom, is that even though they own a different bike now which they obviously like, they also don't say how inferior their previous Stroms were in comparison at seemingly any chance they get. I have been here a long time, and have most certainly seen many come back to the Stroms after owning something much more expensive and exotic, they must have good reasons or experiences for doing that? Stroms have had their past issues and perhaps even still to this day in some regards, but for whatever reasons it very much appears that most overall trust the Japanese bikes more than the Euro bikes. Can't say I would never own a Euro machine, but it's looking less likely when I feel I can now get a comparable Japanese machine these days. Ride what you like and like what you ride........wash/rinse repeat if necessary.
Myself included, Sold a V-Strom for another bike twice and went back to the v-strom both times :) Sorry probably coming across as a bit of an ass to him but it's just annoying to see all of his posts about how bad the V-Strom is and how much better the GS is. I guess he has to make himself feel good about his purchase and justify it to us... even if he is wrong :)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
And still other left have not come back. We were over that a few thread back. Yes the DL is a good bike. We've also been over that before. The DL does have a lot of shortcomings. Yet another thing that been discussed. These will be present no matter if I am on this site or if I am not. Some people are comfortable throwing money at it others like myself are not. But we've been over that too.

I'm not sure how my 1st comment on this thread got convoluted into me bashing DL however you certainly feel that I was attacking the DL. If because I do not praise the DL at every chance or do not feel compelled to stay tight lipped or gloss over its shortcomings or encourage people to spend gobs of money on them that a problem do what you have to do.

Myself included, Sold a V-Strom for another bike twice and went back to the v-strom both times :) Sorry probably coming across as a bit of an ass to him but it's just annoying to see all of his posts about how bad the V-Strom is and how much better the GS is. I guess he has to make himself feel good about his purchase and justify it to us... even if he is wrong :)
I feel good knowing that you found a bike you like and promote it every chance you get.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Your always doing it, going on about how much better the BMW is and how you can buy a 15 year old one for the same price as a new V-Strom that isn't even worth a set of $150 springs lol.

I paid 12 grand CDN brand new for my vstrom. A GS would cost me at least double that, but even if the GS was also 12k, I'd have still taken the V-Strom.
when I was shopping for a new bike in 2018, price was not an issue. I wanted reliability, as light weight as possible with a 1,000-cc or larger engine and I wanted it to steer well too boot. I didn't care ab out suspension. I can fix suspension. Heavy steering is a lot harder and more expensive to fix.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
when I was shopping for a new bike in 2018, price was not an issue. I wanted reliability, as light weight as possible with a 1,000-cc or larger engine and I wanted it to steer well too boot. I didn't care ab out suspension. I can fix suspension. Heavy steering is a lot harder and more expensive to fix.
Price was an issue for me, but price being equal id take Suzuki over bmw any day. So I certainly wasn’t going to pay double for a bmw.
BMW suspension may be slightly better stock vs stock but upgraded suspension on the strom is so much better then what you get on the r1200gs. Reliability was the big one for me, buddy of mine had one and Had electrical issues. It cost him $400 to have it shipped to the dealer to get fixed under warranty. Total time without a bike was 2 months.
Power isn’t even much different, half a second quicker in the 1/4 for the bmw, I’m not in that big of a hurry.
Vstrom has better brakes.
I guess I just don’t understand why he feels the need to hang around a forum for a bike he no longer owns trying to convert us all to BMW owners.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Price was an issue for me, but price being equal id take Suzuki over bmw any day. So I certainly wasn’t going to pay double for a bmw.
BMW suspension may be slightly better stock vs stock but upgraded suspension on the strom is so much better then what you get on the r1200gs. Reliability was the big one for me, buddy of mine had one and Had electrical issues. It cost him $400 to have it shipped to the dealer to get fixed under warranty. Total time without a bike was 2 months.
Power isn’t even much different, half a second quicker in the 1/4 for the bmw, I’m not in that big of a hurry.
Vstrom has better brakes.
I guess I just don’t understand why he feels the need to hang around a forum for a bike he no longer owns trying to convert us all to BMW owners.
If my posts bother you so much use the ignore button.

·
Administrator
17,021 Posts
And still other left have not come back. We were over that a few thread back. Yes the DL is a good bike. We've also been over that before. The DL does have a lot of shortcomings. Yet another thing that been discussed. These will be present no matter if I am on this site or if I am not. Some people are comfortable throwing money at it others like myself are not. But we've been over that too.

I'm not sure how my 1st comment on this thread got convoluted into me bashing DL however you certainly feel that I was attacking the DL. If because I do not praise the DL at every chance or do not feel compelled to stay tight lipped or gloss over its shortcomings or encourage people to spend gobs of money on them that a problem do what you have to do.

I feel good knowing that you found a bike you like and promote it every chance you get.
I’ve been plenty critical of the Stroms over the years, some issues have been fixed and others still not, and yeah Suzuki at times can be a bit too frugal for my liking. But yeah......”BMW’s have issues as well”, it’s ok to admit it I promise. Same goes that if you don’t like a “V-Strom forum” with members who are quite happy with their purchases and riding experiences, why do you feel the need to respond? You hangout and post an awful lot here for being such a BMW fanboy and former Strom owner, no good BMW forums to keep your attention and bide your time? Whatever you consider to be shortcomings of the Stroms, doesn’t really matter now for you does it? Your comments many times come across as quite snobbish/negative/sarcastic, and more than a few members notice that, for the record that doesn’t sit well with me and the other Mods/Admins.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,161 Posts
Ask me in a month or so.

I'm in the process of upgrading the suspension on my 2007 Vee. When I'm done it should be a lot better to ride.

Forks were always too soft, rear shock was too and is done in at 53k miles.

I'm not going as cheap as possible but neither am I blowing thousands on the absolute most expensive options (e.g. Ohlins rear shock). I think once the butcher's bill is fully settled I will have spent around $1100 to bring the suspension up to snuff.

I wouldn't be able to replace the Vee with a newer bike with better suspension for anything like $1100, so to me it's not that crazy to drop some coin to get an actually decent ride.

Spare rear shock is at Sasquatch right now waiting for parts. I don't know what the hold up is on the forks rebuild- I need to rattle that shop's cage tomorrow. Fwiw I'm doing Racetech springs in front, but not cartridge emulators.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I’ve been plenty critical of the Stroms over the years, some issues have been fixed and others still not, and yeah Suzuki at times can be a bit too frugal for my liking. But yeah......”BMW’s have issues as well”, it’s ok to admit it I promise. Same goes that if you don’t like a “V-Strom forum” with members who are quite happy with their purchases and riding experiences, why do you feel the need to respond? You hangout and post an awful lot here for being such a BMW fanboy and former Strom owner, no good BMW forums to keep your attention and bide your time? Whatever you consider to be shortcomings of the Stroms, doesn’t really matter now for you does it? Your comments many times come across as quite snobbish/negative/sarcastic, and more than a few members notice that, for the record that doesn’t sit well with me and the other Mods/Admins.
Then by all means if you and the other mods/admins are unhappy with me and/or my content please delete every bit of it.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Yep, what he said. I loved my Strom, it was a great bike. But when you are 6'4" and 250lbs engine displacement matters. I was on my way to buy the new at the time DL1000 when I got detoured by a sexy V4 with an assload of power. Although I am no longer on a Strom, I still love the bike. I don't see anything to bash about it unless you are just insecure with what you are on now and it helps you feel better about your decision to go another direction.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,161 Posts
Fellow I bought my extra rear shock off - the one that is awaiting parts at Sasquatch Suspensions as we speak - had it left over from a Vee that he put a brand new shock on.

I forget what he rides today, but he didn't have a single bad thing to say about the old Vee. I never did ask why he got rid of it. Sounded like it had a bunch of sweet upgrades, including 4-pot front brakes (wow!) and a fancy aftermarket rear shock (I forget the brand).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will say putting a Wilbur's shock on my bike was like night and day. Now I have 7 bikes, so it wasn't necessarily to have the best suspension in the garage (that honor goes to my Ducati with Ohlins) but it's a hell of an improvement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will say putting a Wilbur's shock on my bike was like night and day. Now I have 7 bikes, so it wasn't necessarily to have the best suspension in the garage (that honor goes to my Ducati with Ohlins) but it's a hell of an improvement.
Revelator, what bike did you put that Wilbur's shock on? What type of riding do you typically do with it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Saw there was a reply in the thread. Thought maybe Revelator had a response for me. Nope. It's another comment unrelated to the OP's question. Oh joy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
All I know is that installing proper weighted springs in the front forks for me "and many others" did wonders, so eventually going with a proper rear shock valved and sprung for me will make things even better. Upgrading a suspension for the rider is a helluva lot cheaper than a new bike, especially when an owner is quite satisfied overall with their bike otherwise. My buddy has an 11 1200GS and has spent "a fortune" on custom suspension, so obviously you don't always get better suspension on many motorcycles by simply buying another. ;) The Stroms are overall inexpensive motorcycles in this segment, and where price cuts are typically made is in........suspension. Rode my buddy's top of the line Ducati Multistrada with OEM Ohlins suspension, sure was nice........sure was expensive. LOL
yup, for now I'm leaning towards suspension upgrade

Nothing against BMW, but if i were upgrading i would get a KTM or the Honda.
I also tested the KTM790 adventure S, light, fast, nimble, awesome brakes, great quickshifter, ride feels crude in comparison to the vstrom, also a bit small and ugly looking. I did not like it.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts