StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
When the new iteration Tiger 800's first came out, I got pretty worked up. Thought maybe I'd wait a few years and pick up a used adventure ready XRX. Ultimately though, I thought about weight, my short inseam and reliability/dealer network and went the other way. Just bought a new CB500X.
In the couple weeks I've owned it, it is quickly growing on me. I will always be an admirer of the DL650 and will be hard pressed to sell mine. However, I think I made the right decision for me. I like to feel in command of my ride and not worry about parking lot maneuvers. After 42k miles, I've become pretty masterful with my Strom, but a 30 " inseam isn't something I can do anything about. Or the fact that I'm turning 67 in a couple months. If I were a younger, bigger guy, I'd be much better equipped to own a Tiger.
The suspension, brakes and seat on my new bike are better stock than the DL with upgrades. And, the fuel economy is outstanding.
They all have 2 wheels. That's the best part..:grin2:
Hey Steve,
Typo error, you said you will be turning 67. I am sure you meant to write 47! At 59, I am not too far behind you. I am also challenged by a short inseam, and know the day will come when I have to change my ride. Your cb500x sounds great, good luck with your new bike!:wink2:

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
No typo, Syd.
I try to stay on top of fitness and diet and since I stopped doing masonry full time, my knees are actually doing pretty well.

But, when I look in the mirror, the muscles that were once convex, are slowly becoming concave...:frown2: I've told myself that the growth in my brain aka wisdom can compensate for the physical decline...so far, so good!

·
Registered
453 Posts
MSRP on the Tiger is $14K? Thats a long way from what i paid for my 650.
Now if KTM would make a 990 like bike in the 650-800CC range that came in a little cheaper and lighter than the 990, i'd be interested in that.
I like the looks of the Africa Twin, but don't see myself wanting a liter bike for the riding i do.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The GSXR 750's redline is like 14K though? so what would that mean for first gear low rpm on a gravel road? not much torque i assume?

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
The GSXR 750's redline is like 14K though? so what would that mean for first gear low rpm on a gravel road? not much torque i assume?
Remapping and cams would take care of that. Look what BMW did with the 1000RR when they came up with the 1000XR although it is hard to duplicate the low down grunt of a VTwin.

Rod

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
Triumph has some serious high revving engines in their Tigers, and the BMW 1000XR seems to work pretty darn good with that beast of an engine. Look at the Multistrada, I believe that engine pumps out around 150 BHP? Suzuki could make one helluva ADV engine with that 750 Gixxer powerplant, would be easy to have it make more bottom end torque. Hey......one can dream can't he?? :grin2:

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well Suzuki might have shot themselves in the foot. I called the dealer this AM, confirmed they had a 2015 XT adventure pkg and a naked 2016 XT. Specifically asked if I could demo ether one,..........salesman said "absolutely". So I rode 110 miles(each way) and this is the bull shit they laid on me:
"Ok, here is how it works, you negotiate a final price, arrange financing, or put down a deposit, sign Z papers, then you can demo ride. I'm perturbed, "Wait, I have to buy the bike before I demo it?". "No Sir, if you don't like the bike after the Demo, you just give it back to us". Hmmmmm, I'm not thinking No...I'm thinking Hell No...so I tell 'em that.

At least the ride there and back was nice.........{sigh}

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I bought the 650 Strom because I could touch the ground when I was riding it and the price was low.
I really think you are a majority. Freakishhh Giraffe-like folks like me not only have a hard time picking out pants & shirts & sz 14 stompers, but when it comes to motorcycles many invoke that Barnum and Bailey look. Doot doot dodadoda doot doot doo............

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well Suzuki might have shot themselves in the foot. I called the dealer this AM, confirmed they had a 2015 XT adventure pkg and a naked 2016 XT. Specifically asked if I could demo ether one,..........salesman said "absolutely". So I rode 110 miles(each way) and this is the bull shit they laid on me:
"Ok, here is how it works, you negotiate a final price, arrange financing, or put down a deposit, sign Z papers, then you can demo ride. I'm perturbed, "Wait, I have to buy the bike before I demo it?". "No Sir, if you don't like the bike after the Demo, you just give it back to us". Hmmmmm, I'm not thinking No...I'm thinking Hell No...so I tell 'em that.

At least the ride there and back was nice.........{sigh}
Is this your first new motorcycle? Unlike cars, it's not unusual for dealers to not allow demo rides due to obvious factors (joy rides, drops, ...) which is why most manufacturers have a test ride road show in the summer which allows you to try a "beater" demo in a controlled setting. By allowing you to make an offer conditional to a test ride it ensures the dealer that you are serious and you'll probably take it. Also a lot of bikes on the floor may be assembled but may not be ride ready... Requiring a PDI.

I fail to see how this is Suzuki's fault. So did you try it? It sounds like it was risk free for you and they had the bikes you are interested in.

I'd never allow a test drive on a used bike I'm selling, but I will hold an envelope with the required cash if someone wants to confirm it's working ok.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 53 Posts