StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I threw a leg over an xtz66 today.

The bike feels good, but I only managed tar and some motorway on a 45 minute ride.

It is better set up for dirt than the Wee [as expected] but hits 140+ ok and is stable at that.

The bike is tall, the seat feels good, the screen seems to work [considering it is smaller than the Wee screen].

On the road it handles well but doesn't have the "flickable" feel of the Wee.

Although I couldn't try it on dirt I think it would handle much like [though better than] my KLR, heaps of ground clearance and loads of suspension travel.

So......it would be the ideal bike for me as it would do the highway almost as good as the Wee, it would do dirt better than both the Wee and the KLR.

Sadly I don't think it is going to suit the bank account :thumbdown:

From a dollar value the Wee is better "bang for buck".

Compared to the KLR650 and the BMW GS650/800 [the Wee and the xtz are not quite in the same category with each other] I think the Yamaha xtz660 would be the bike to buy by a country mile- good purchase price/maintenance costs compared to the BMW's and better technology than the KLR.

Until I find a way to afford one I'm going to have to settle for doing "local" bush/fire trails on teh KLR and my long trips on the Wee.

Ah well, I guess that ain't so bad......for now. :fineprint:

Here are a couple of pics of the one I rode today.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Too much money IMO and not that much better than the new KLR 650 which is a lot cheaper . Keep the old KLR and the Vstrom you have a good touring bike and a good cheap dirt bike . Then you can get an FJR1300 for those three state one day blast .

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too much money IMO and not that much better than the new KLR 650 which is a lot cheaper . Keep the old KLR and the Vstrom you have a good touring bike and a good cheap dirt bike . Then you can get an FJR1300 for those three state one day blast .
The old KLR's are actually better than the new ones, the new model is lower and has other changes that bring it down in off road ability.

The Yam I can get for less than $15,500 on road [and I haven't pushed on the negotiation yet :fineprint: ].

The xt660z [got corrected re the model on another forum- xt660z, not an xtz660, they are two different models] is miles ahead of any KLR.

And the FJR1300 would see me without a licence very quickly, I still get the urge to see a 2 as the first of three numbers on the speedo.

And yes the Wee [it IS such a great bike] and the KLR look like being companions for a while yet.

Now about those boxes Graham? :mrgreen:

Or I'm going to have to look for some Givi E21's [might be easier to sell/swap the Givi set for some alloys more suited to my needs though].

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
The Yam I can get for less than $15,500 on road [and I haven't pushed on the negotiation yet
On odd occasions when I have looked at bikesales dot com and other similar sites there always seem to be a range of virtually new very low mileage XT660Zs for sale. I would say that they are a bike that a lot of wannabes purchase not long after the Dakar Rally finishes and then regret their actions. If you are serious about one you could probably do a fairly good deal on something that has only just been run in and the wife has deemed "must be sold".

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
That's too high a price you can get a new KLR650 for about $7500
What you have got is great you can drop it and still not feel too bad .
I have a mate in the states who has done hundreds of thousand of miles on KLR 650 so if you need help let me know .

As for 2 as the first digit on an FJR ,fully loaded they realy suck the juice down fast when you spend time in "warp drive" ,but you do have a lot of fun !!! .

We will talk about the boxes

·
Registered
21 Posts
Doesn't look too bad mate, I hope you didn't enjoy it too much!!!! As you said though, the Wee is hard to beat when it comes to "bang for your buck". Plus IMHO the KLR would be a good sidekick for a few rides to ease yourself back into the "harsher dirt riding" and no big deal if you happen to let it go for a quick nap in the bush...

You will have to let me know when you a free for a ride/coffee. Hopefully I will have my forkbrace by then. With any luck it may be here today, I hope...

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doesn't look too bad mate, I hope you didn't enjoy it too much!!!! As you said though, the Wee is hard to beat when it comes to "bang for your buck". Plus IMHO the KLR would be a good sidekick for a few rides to ease yourself back into the "harsher dirt riding" and no big deal if you happen to let it go for a quick nap in the bush...

You will have to let me know when you a free for a ride/coffee. Hopefully I will have my forkbrace by then. With any luck it may be here today, I hope...
I loved the Ten660 but I can't afford it.
The Wee and KLR will be my toys for now.
Might be able to do 2-3 hours either Sat. or Sun. [depends how well the Mrs. is feeling].
Friday 19th may be an option for a day [or part day] ride.
Text is best option for contact with me over the next few days.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Well done Ock gee 15 large, that is a lot of toy to have on the lay awake plan especially when you know you can load up the wee and do all the touring required and then go get dirty on the basher,test rides on demo's are great fun,next time Phill's Garage here has an open day I am going to take a Hoggly for a run as I have never ridden a Harley,what should I expect?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well done Ock gee 15 large, that is a lot of toy to have on the lay awake plan especially when you know you can load up the wee and do all the touring required and then go get dirty on the basher,test rides on demo's are great fun,next time Phill's Garage here has an open day I am going to take a Hoggly for a run as I have never ridden a Harley,what should I expect?
Dunno Don, I will have to ask Rod about the Hoggly. :fineprint:

He does love his, but it is not quite the typical cruiser seating position as he has changed the seat, bars, foot boards etc. to suit his comfort.
And, of course, added lots of chrome [as if they don't have enough already :confused: ].

On some of the long distance touring trips I'd like to get further in to the single tracks and fire trails than I think I could get the Wee, and I sure as hell wouldn't like to do the three state ride I did when I first got the Wee back in 09 on the KLR :yikes:

The xt660z may well be on the list, but not for a while yet.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually like the look of the KLR, but man, that 660 is butt ugly to me. Personal preference I guess.
The old model KLR's look good, the newer model not as good.

The Yamaha blitzes the KLR in every respect so I'd take practicality over looks in this case- but it comes at nearly double the price of the KLR (it is more than twice the bike too though).

The only reason I looked at the Ten660 is because it gets up near the Wee's on road ability and speed while also doing dirt at or beyond the KLR's standard.

They are fuel injected and run more modern technology than the K as well.

I figure one day I will have to go back to owning just one bike so looking at options.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts