StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for fun I took a K1300GT for a one-hour demo drive at a local BMW dealer. I’m 6-2, 190 lbs. My impressions (coming from a DL1000):
• Riding position was very “sporty” i.e. relatively high pegs and low bars = leaned forward position. The bars appeared to be adjusted all the way up. Not sure if the pegs can be moved. I felt a bit like a squid, without the flipflops.
• Analog instruments were easy to read, LCD not so much (in bright sunlight with a tinted visor).
• Ferocious engine, with addictive power surge. Pulls hard from 2,000 rpm upward. Things start happening fast at 6,000 rpm.
• No drivetrain slop or funny fuel injection. Easy to drive smoothly around town.
• Excellent brakes (I suppose this is a must-have with an engine like this!)
• Solid handling; no wobbles or weaving. Very impressive.
• I could not raise the windshield high enough to keep wind blast off my helmet. Otherwise, good weather protection from all that bodywork.
• High frequency vibes in bars at some RPM ranges.
• A tipover would probably result in expensive damage to bags and bodywork; no fall protection evident (a la ST1300).
• Heated grips and seat: nice touches.
• Fit and finish: outstanding.
• Oh yeah: the final drive did not fail.

Overall a very nice package. Would I buy one? No, here’s why:
1. Sporty riding positions aggravate my carpal tunnel problem.
2. High frequency vibes = numb hands.
3. I prefer to do my own maintenance. Looks like lots of specialized fasteners and fittings on the BMW. All that bodywork must complicate things too.
4. So far I’ve tipped-over my Vee once on both sides, with repair costs totaling $200. I’m guessing the Beemer would be much more costly to repair.
5. I like to explore dirt roads now and then, which is probably not a good idea with the GT.

Next time I’ll take the R1200RT out. I think it might “fit” me much better.

Peter

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just for fun I took a K1300GT for a one-hour demo drive at a local BMW dealer. I’m 6-2, 190 lbs. My impressions (coming from a DL1000):
• Riding position was very “sporty” i.e. relatively high pegs and low bars = leaned forward position. The bars appeared to be adjusted all the way up. Not sure if the pegs can be moved. I felt a bit like a squid, without the flipflops.
• Analog instruments were easy to read, LCD not so much (in bright sunlight with a tinted visor).
• Ferocious engine, with addictive power surge. Pulls hard from 2,000 rpm upward. Things start happening fast at 6,000 rpm.
• No drivetrain slop or funny fuel injection. Easy to drive smoothly around town.
• Excellent brakes (I suppose this is a must-have with an engine like this!)
• Solid handling; no wobbles or weaving. Very impressive.
• I could not raise the windshield high enough to keep wind blast off my helmet. Otherwise, good weather protection from all that bodywork.
• High frequency vibes in bars at some RPM ranges.
• A tipover would probably result in expensive damage to bags and bodywork; no fall protection evident (a la ST1300).
• Heated grips and seat: nice touches.
• Fit and finish: outstanding.
• Oh yeah: the final drive did not fail.

Overall a very nice package. Would I buy one? No, here’s why:
1. Sporty riding positions aggravate my carpal tunnel problem.
2. High frequency vibes = numb hands.
3. I prefer to do my own maintenance. Looks like lots of specialized fasteners and fittings on the BMW. All that bodywork must complicate things too.
4. So far I’ve tipped-over my Vee once on both sides, with repair costs totaling $200. I’m guessing the Beemer would be much more costly to repair.
5. I like to explore dirt roads now and then, which is probably not a good idea with the GT.

Next time I’ll take the R1200RT out. I think it might “fit” me much better.

Peter
Special fasteners? Have you never seen a torqs bit before?

High frequency vibes? The KGT I rode was extremely smooth.

I have spent some time on a KGT and I have owned an R1200RT. Both are good bikes but I would take the GT in a heartbeat. The RT has a bit better ergonomics and wind protection but not enough to justify the boxxer motor. The final drive on that GT will eventually fail, just give it time and so will the one on the RT. BMW has yet to clarify this problem. Its sad to see their lack of caring about the issue. A new BMW will be more difficult to work on if your dong repairs but the regular maintenance is no more harder other than removing some body work (with those special fasteners :green_lol:)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've had 2 GT's and put a total of 50k miles on them. Great bikes, very comfortable, very high build quality, never had any mechanical issues final drive or otherwise, very expensive to maintain and doing it yourself is not an option unless you have advanced mechanical skills.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Special fasteners? Have you never seen a torqs bit before?

Are you referring to Torx bits? Yes I'm very familiar with them (standard and the security style). I was thinking more about stuff like wheel removals; from what I've read, special tools are required for these tasks.....but there are probably easy work-arounds. So I'll retract my statement.

In any case it's certainly not enough of an issue for me to change my mind about whether I'd buy the GT.

Peter

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I rode a friends K1300 when I had my FJR we swapped bikes for about a 100 miles. Just a brilliant bike. I agree about the new C-14. It is a a really nice bike with ABS , Traction control and fantastic engine. If I was going to get a pure ST bike today it is probably one I would pick even though the ugly exhaust , smallish bags and the K-Pass. The money saved vs the BMW would be nice.

·
Registered
108 Posts
looks like a nice bike - but I wouldn't buy one either. My Honda Blackbird fell over one hot day, when the sidestand sank into the bitumen. Few scratches, no broken parts. Cost to repair? Just a bit under $6000....and the bike cost $13,000.

Anyone ridden the new Duc Multistrada? Looks the goods...

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
The k1300 has crashbars built-in.
My buddy dropped his k1200gt at low speed; only minor damage.

I haven't tried the 1300, but the 1200 has almost the same riding position as my wee: very natural.

They are super-nice bikes. I can't speak for the 1300, but the 1200 I rode had no vibes anywhere, silky smooth all the way to redline.

I love my wee, but if I had to get a different bike, it'd definitely be the k1200gt, or maybe the next one (the 1.6 litre inline 6).

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Concours 14 is great... especially after you get the OEM tires off it. Then it can really handle. I have a friend with a K1200LT. Like the Kawasaki better.

Honestly, I don't know why any one would want to go as fast as 14 is capable.

My only gripe with mine is that I just like to go down gravel and dirt roads too much.

Don't ask me about the time I forgot where I parked the bike and backed into it with my car. Damage: a shattered mirror.... could have been much worse.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Vee the best. It just fits the type of riding I like to do most.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
integrated crash bars on the k1300gt

"Protectors integrated in the side sections reduce the risk of damage in a fall or accident. Hence, the machine is now well protected should it fall over in an accident or when not properly parked."

From http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-k-1300-gt/ (under "styling")

It won't save your paint, but it is reinforced with crash protection inside the fairing.

Maybe they copied and pasted that from a honda st-1300 review, who knows...
I remember having originally read it on a BMW site though.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I rode a friend's K1300S a couple weeks ago. It's surprisingly comfortable, despite the low bars and high pegs, though nothing like the strom of course. Another way it's nothing like the strom is the arm-stretching acceleration and, as someone else mentioned, the excellent brakes to go with it. The ~20 miles I rode it were spent winding it up (instantly turning my riding buddies into rapidly vanishing specks in the mirrors) and hauling it back down. I would get about 10mpg on that bike...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts