StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Im New here.
I have been reading this forum for a while but now i have a problem and maybe some of you have encounterd this one.
After replacing fron brake pads this terrible noise showed up. In only acures when coming to a stop. First pads ware brembo, i used it withs oem shims, without shims, and with special damping backing from trw. No effect. New pads from trw. Same problem. Coper paste have no effwc.here is a video of this noise.
https://youtu.be/EU3CoEYnQSs
Pls. Help.

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
Yah, that's pretty gross. Disassemble and use more brake goo?
I had a set of squeally pads on my R65LS BMW. I loved it. Every one knew I slowing for a stop.
I think more pad goo made it go away. Maybe use some sand paper on the disks to be sure they are clean too?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had the same issue with the last brake pads I put on my now defunct KLR650. Tried sanding the pad, tried angling the front of the pad so the tip would not grab as much, all to no avail. Could never figure out what the issue was. Could be the brake pad material itself.

I too would like an explanation as to the cause.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts

·
Vendor
4,689 Posts
As far as brakes go, it's definitely a lower frequency sound. That suggest it is associated with the disc rotation and not just the pads vibrating. Check the bolts holding the discs on for proper tightness. It's easy to imagine that noise coming from a loose mounting point on the disc. Vibration between the disc and the hub/disc carrier.

AS GW said, it may just need time to bed-in, but if not, put a dial indicator on the disc and check for flatness.

Any visible abnormalities about the discs?

But my money's on a loose disc bolt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Brembo pads had 10kkm time to bed in . No noticble improvment. I have checked the disk carier bolts. All tight. The rotors have some groves but after 38kkm i wouldnt expect them to be in any better shape.

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
It's a harmonic vibration.

Assuming the discs are in reasonable condition (don't worry about a few shallow grooves) remove the pads and rub them in a circular motion on a nice flat concrete surface to remove any surface contamination. Inspect the exposed parts of the pistons in the calliper and if necessary remove any crud with cleaner on a lightly soaked rag.

Then clean your OEM backing plate and apply the thinnest smear of Copper compound/grease to both sides of it. Attach it to a brake pad and repeat. Reassemble and test.

If this does not cure the problem, and your discs are in serviceable condition, you would then need to purchase calliper rebuild kits and disassemble the calliper/s to find out why one or more is not actuating smoothly. With used pads the pistons will extend further out of the callipers. If crud adhered to the exposed piston surface that crud might now be interfering with the smooth movement of the piston now deep within the calliper.

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
I have, in the past, had success with running a hacksaw across the pad to create a couple of grooves. This got rid of the squeal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello. Im New here.
I have been reading this forum for a while but now i have a problem and maybe some of you have encounterd this one.
After replacing fron brake pads this terrible noise showed up. In only acures when coming to a stop. First pads ware brembo, i used it withs oem shims, without shims, and with special damping backing from trw. No effect. New pads from trw. Same problem. Coper paste have no effwc.here is a video of this noise.
https://youtu.be/EU3CoEYnQSs
Pls. Help.
Did you try to e-mail Brembo on the issue and send the You Tube link?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I want to use maciej karlowicz. The other one is from facebook and u cant use polish letters.
And i think i have fixes the problem. Today i instaled oem tockico brake pads for DL and the noise seems to be gone.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
noise

Had six Harleys in my mix of over 30 bikes in 50 years.Lesson learned on racket ...If all else fails more open pipes and tighter ear plugs. When its your bike it all ways seems worse :wink2: Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
With a bike that young clean the brake discs with brake cleaner to ensure that there is no preservative etc on the disk. Then remove and clean the pads and reassemble with the merest smear of coppercoat etc on the back of the pad, and the back of the anti squeal "shims" #14 and #15.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Are you using OEM pads? If by 3 months old you mean a brand new bike, let the dealer sort this out under warranty. Brake squeal is NOT normal. If the bike is 3 months old to you, but say last year's model that you bought from a PO, then check the pad material. Some aftermarket pads will squeal on OEM rotors. This happens often in cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts